Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Sound quality of videos

Harry Foolish 9:51 AM - 7 October, 2013
Dear all,

I'd like to know how you people make sure you have a good sound quality in your videos?

Some videos i've downloaded just have a poor sound quality. I'm currently editing the video by deleting the old sounds and replacing them with 320 kbps MP3's. But I'm not sure if this is the way to go or it's just a huge waist of my time by doing so.

Does anybody know how I can retrieve the sound quality of some video and what's the best way to upgrade this?
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:35 PM - 7 October, 2013
Hi Harry,

Usually videos ripped from sites (like YouTube, Vimeo and similar) or videos that are 720p or lower can result in audio quality that is less than a 320kbps audio track.

Editing the video with the 320kbps audio is the best way to achieve a great sound with video.

I will move this into the general discussion area, as more people will be able to jump in and help you out :)

Cheers
10:35 PM, 7 Oct 2013
Discussion moved to Serato Video and Video-SL General Discussion
Code:E 12:23 AM - 8 October, 2013
Well my understanding is the pro's who edit videos for VJ-pro and Xtendamix get the video's from the source's, then remove the audio and put the own uncompressed audio in its place. You could just buy videos from them but if you bent on making your own thats what you need to do.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:18 PM - 24 November, 2014
is there a tutorial on how to do this on a mac?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:15 PM - 24 November, 2014
Hi DJ Marv the Maverick,

You can use handbrake to re-encode videos > handbrake.fr
Have a read through their forums for more helpful information > forum.handbrake.fr

If you want to re-encode just audio files, you can use iTunes, however iTunes is probably not the best for videos. If you want to edit video and sound together, it would be best to use an editing program like iMovie or Adobe Premiere.

Serato Video does have the ability to link videos to an audio track - so if you already had the video and high quality audio file in your library you can associate them together.

Regards
DJ Reflex 11:12 PM - 24 November, 2014
You can use Final Cut for Mac or Video Editor Pro (NCH Software) to remake your videos. I've done quite a bit of video editing myself to try and achieve good sound quality. Takes some time, but in the end you can get some good sounding material. Good luck.
DJ DisGrace 11:41 PM - 24 November, 2014
You need to read A-Swift's tutorial on remuxing:
serato.com
www.vjaswift.com

Essentially, you create a high quality audio file that 'fits' the existing video, then you swap out the low quality audio with the high quality audio. This way you don't have to re-encode the video and lose quality. It's also a faster way to make multiple versions of a video (clean, dirty, acapella, blen-x, intro, etc).
Code:E 1:14 AM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
You need to read A-Swift's tutorial on remuxing:
serato.com
www.vjaswift.com

Essentially, you create a high quality audio file that 'fits' the existing video, then you swap out the low quality audio with the high quality audio. This way you don't have to re-encode the video and lose quality. It's also a faster way to make multiple versions of a video (clean, dirty, acapella, blen-x, intro, etc).

+1
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:04 AM - 25 November, 2014
many thanks. ive seen a-swifts video and i think that will work for a straight swap of similar length audio.

what if in the video they have skits and extras? the album audio that i'm trying to us will be of a dfferent length.

Can i use Ableton to edit videos? Especially to sync the "singing lips" to a different audio source.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 8:16 AM - 25 November, 2014
Hey DJ Marv the Maverick,

Yes you can use Ableton Live to edit audio to video have a look here; www.ableton.com

All the best,

Anthony