DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Vs Tracktor Whats better and why

Chuck Taylor 7:39 AM - 18 September, 2013
Hey my fellow DJS

I am not sure if the Q has been asked before its very likely it has but I was just on utube and came across this video Watchwww.youtube.com

and I thought why not see what others think About the 2 of them

remember guys just a fun post no need to dis or get mad at others for there choices in hardware

I will start I am a serato user my self I cant really compare tracktor to serato as I have never used it

feel free to post your comments on both and have fun
A_Jack 8:54 AM - 18 September, 2013
I have also never really used Traktor - only played around a bit with S4, S2 and Z2 in a music store.

One thing I want to ask in this thread is that how do people see the sound quality in Serato vs Traktor?

By watching videos on youtube I'm under the impression that the 2 programs sound slightly different. For example if you watch videos with Z2 and then videos with Rane 62 they sound a bit different to me at least. Of course I understand this can be due to numerous factors: inbuilt mixer sound cards, audio recording function of the software and possible editing/mastering the audio in a DAW after recording.

I'm listening with Focusrite scarlett 2i2, Genelec M030 monitors and Sennheiser HD600 headphones and have myself noticed that in general the sound in Traktor videos is slightly more punchy and crisp. However I think scratching actually sounds better in the Serato videos as it's more "in-your-face" and harsh-sounding.

Of course this is a bit geeky and doesn't really make an important difference but just wondering if anyone else has paid attention to it?
Johbremat 9:28 AM - 18 September, 2013
Traktor is king when it comes to rolling your own MIDI hardware to interface with the application. Even though it's a more-than-capable DVS I was never really comfortable with it.

Great for doing something beyond straight mixing, otherwise I prefer the aesthetics of SSL (and praying Serato DJ doesn't ruin it too badly for me). Ultimately, I use SSL as a digital crate, pure and simple. No loops, no cues. I never feel I can get that same pleasure from from Traktor.

(Yes, you don't need to use the bells and whistles, but why buy Reloop RP-8000 when a 7000 will do?)

:-P
the_black_one 3:26 PM - 18 September, 2013
This discussion is as old as Barbara

Nm nh
Chuck Taylor 4:27 PM - 18 September, 2013
@ A Jack Yes I agree

They both sound a bit different and I also think the scratching on serato is

is more in your face at least from what I have herd
Thundercat 8:49 PM - 18 September, 2013
Several answers can be found here:

bit.ly
jprime 8:57 PM - 18 September, 2013
^^Translation: The needles you are looking for are here in this haystack
pdidy 11:00 PM - 19 September, 2013
This should clear everything up. Serato = man , tractor = woman

elsmar.com
Chuck Taylor 4:33 AM - 20 September, 2013
lol nice one @ piddy

but a lot of very good djs use trackor or serato or both female and male so I don't think sex has anything to do with it
pdidy 5:00 AM - 20 September, 2013
Quote:
lol nice one @ piddy

but a lot of very good djs use trackor or serato or both female and male so I don't think sex has anything to do with it

Naa you missed the point if you think sex has anything to do with the comparison. ;)
pdidy 4:30 PM - 20 September, 2013

im not trolling, you're just not bright enough to figure it out......lol
auttomattik 4:54 PM - 20 September, 2013
Quote:
Traktor is king when it comes to rolling your own MIDI hardware to interface with the #. Even though it's a more-than-capable DVS I was never really comfortable with it.

Great for doing something beyond straight mixing, otherwise I prefer the # of SSL (and praying Serato DJ doesn't ruin it too badly for me). Ultimately, I use SSL as a digital crate, pure and simple. No loops, no cues. I never feel I can get that same pleasure from from Traktor.

:-P

(Yes, you don't need to use the bells and whistles, but why buy Reloop RP-8000 when a 7000 will do?)

I mostly agree with this. I've used both quite a bit. I think Traktor does have a punchier sound, allbeit a little more harsh. Serato sounds more midrange yet more digital. They both have there highs and lows. When given the choice I use serato out live, Traktor I only use live if Serato isn't an option. Traktors bells and whistles are cool and their effects are dope. It just isn't as user friendly.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:12 PM - 20 September, 2013
Quote:
This should clear everything up. Serato = man , tractor = woman

elsmar.com

I see u perfer the company of men lol jk

Nm nh
Mr. Goodkat 9:42 PM - 20 September, 2013
things that traktor is better at. timestretch, control signal, and efx.
eugguy 10:44 PM - 20 September, 2013
If you know how to work your way around a complicated mixer, you'll know how to turn a woman on. So many little knobs, and spindles to twist. DJ's almost are setup to know how to please a woman. You've got to warmup the mood, build up to the climax, and cooldown...grab a drink then do it again. Of course...I am speaking of DJing that is.

Traktor and Serato are really both woman to me. Traktor is a fake-ass complicated girl who needs to be attended to. She puts on a ton of makeup and looks like a rodeo clown. She loves the attention of multiple controllers being inserted in her and she needs all her buttons pressed 12 times a minute. A true whore. Serato is a fine educated lady, sweet and simple. She just wants to please you. She'll take you out for a nice steak dinner and foot the bill.
Mr. Goodkat 11:38 PM - 20 September, 2013
you might wanna look into match.com or another dating site.
Chuck Taylor 11:33 AM - 21 September, 2013
lol @ eugguy I like ur thoughts on that but I have to dis agree there my man a few knobs and being a DJ doesn't even come close to almost being set up to know how to please or even turning on a woman

that's the issues with SOME NOT ALL DJS tho they only do it coz they think they will get girls easy yes maybe we are around them more that some other jobs so they think oh I would love to be a DJ to but have no love for music
eugguy 12:17 PM - 21 September, 2013
Hey chuck buddy, I'm not talking about 'getting' girls...that is a 'completely' different story. I'm talking about having the car in the garage already and just being able to be a mechanic. DJs are typically good cooks, chefs, and have a sensitivity that is artistic and bold. You have to have the ability to set a mood, pick songs that have underlying tones/meanings/feelings, not to mention all the little technical abilities of listening, really using your senses, having fine motor control...all really useful things in the bedroom. (IMHO and Experience) Have you every heard of DJs comparing mixing and DJing to sex? These are the DJs that can really pull a set together and have knowledge of buildups, climaxes, and how to properly work a crowd. I would say it is owned by mostly old school djs, not the quick, instant gratification DJs of todays era. Do you understand now?
Chuck Taylor 1:50 PM - 21 September, 2013
Quote:
Hey chuck buddy, I'm not talking about 'getting' girls...that is a 'completely' different story. I'm talking about having the car in the garage already and just being able to be a mechanic. DJs are typically good cooks, chefs, and have a sensitivity that is artistic and bold. You have to have the ability to set a mood, pick songs that have underlying tones/meanings/feelings, not to mention all the little technical abilities of listening, really using your senses, having fine motor control...all really useful things in the bedroom. (IMHO and Experience) Have you every heard of DJs comparing mixing and DJing to sex? These are the DJs that can really pull a set together and have knowledge of buildups, climaxes, and how to properly work a crowd. I would say it is owned by mostly old school djs, not the quick, instant gratification DJs of todays era. Do you understand now?

Hey Bud Yes sir i know what you mean and now i agree 100% -)

Al though i wise DJ once told me always play for the girls because once u get them on the dance floor guys will always follow = a big crowed

wise words (well at least i think so ) lol
Chrisjin 7:19 PM - 21 September, 2013
Does it really matter anymore? Get one that works for you and what youre comfortable with. Having the best equipment doesnt make you the best dj
the_black_one 8:39 PM - 21 September, 2013
^^^ the most generic answer!!!! GTFO

NM MH
Chrisjin 9:32 PM - 21 September, 2013
A generic answer to a generic question. cmon now even you should know that
Chuck Taylor 10:45 AM - 22 September, 2013
Quote:
Does it really matter anymore? Get one that works for you and what youre comfortable with. Having the best equipment doesnt make you the best dj

nope doesn't really matter they both good in there own ways I guess

good to see what people say about each though

that's all champ -)
Ricardo S. 2:41 PM - 22 September, 2013
I got the Audio 6 box and an SL2 box.
I only juggle and scratch so for me the vinyl is very important.
Traktor mk2 we're very accurate but to thin and often bend.
Since serato came up with the performance vinyl they are back on top again for me.
Traktor got some more setting options and effects but do you need em?
I like the simplicity of a macbook pro serato is the same.
Traktor feels more like windows.
strykerlefty 6:27 AM - 4 April, 2014
Hi Fellow Dj's!

Just a little story I would like to share. I have my Pioneer DDJ-SX. I have no problem with it and love it just only 1 thing that Pioneer should not do is to handle out the sound card production. The reason I am telling this is show up in difference between CDJ's and my controller. I been playing back 2 back with my friend (He with CDJ's and USB flash drive) and every time he mixed on me he kicked out my track lyrically! There was lot more life in it that I can't solve with only volume up....and yeah NI sound cards are more brighter too a bit and when you connect a tractor to almost "ANY" club standard Pioneer mixer to use as a sound card of course you won the match again compare to the Serato and everybody using the same 320kbs MP3's. (I think all real Dj's who started back in time they cry back the vinyl age..there were no such things). I am still looking for my solution to keep my Serato cause I want to use Serato DJ but the only way to improve what I see is a Pioneer DJM-900SRT + SP1 controller and still smaller then an SX hahaha if I don't have to carry the CDJ's....
No offense and I welcome any comment or critic especially if helps.....
the_black_one 6:56 AM - 4 April, 2014
the minute u mention pioneer and good sound quality in the same paragraph ...

SMFH

nm nh
Laz219 1:22 PM - 4 April, 2014
Rane mixer. Problem solved.
DJ Inubito 2:09 PM - 4 April, 2014
Traktor has some GREAT features, but I absolutely adore the Serato interface. I kinda wish that they could combine the two. Maybe call it Trakato. Or Serktor.
phonze 2:18 PM - 4 April, 2014
Traktor interface is crap. Incredibly cluttered, I can't figure out how to stack the decks on top of each other instead of having them side by side, and it's been a bitch to transfer over bpm's, loops, cue points, and to get all of my track analyzed. I pretty much gave up.
eugguy 4:55 PM - 4 April, 2014
The Serato DJ Interface is a step closer to the cluttered interface of Traktor...Simplicity is lovely. Use SSL.
Mr. Goodkat 6:55 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
The Serato DJ Interface is a step closer to the cluttered interface of Traktor...Simplicity is lovely. Use SSL.

yep, its still a bit better than traktor. its weird how ssl is kinda ugly and minimal, but its so much easier to look at for long periods of time.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:59 PM - 4 April, 2014
Why are you watching the screen though??

As for Traktor everything can be removed from the screen if you want to.

As long as my mixer or controller can tell me when something is on, that's all I need.
Mr. Goodkat 7:08 PM - 4 April, 2014
for me its just the look. like traktor, imo, looks way cooler, more defined, but its just more irritating for long periods to look at it for me. Its a mental thing i guess, since i used ssl for so long. i prob have add but i was a kid before that diagnosis caught on except for rich kids that were kinda dumb and need an excuse for being dumb.
DJ Irv 8:06 PM - 4 April, 2014
I use both. I definitely prefer the SSL interface but, I think Traktor is more advanced. In any case Traktor has been very silent on the software front. They have to be working on something or just threw in the towel.
Logisticalstyles 10:29 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:

Because most people that operate a cumputer usually do. Seriously, there's information on the screen. BPM info, library info, sound effects, loops, etc. All of that is done on the screen, at some point you have to look at the screen.
eugguy 10:39 PM - 4 April, 2014
I have everything minimized too. Just meticulous about my album art. No bpm, no waveforms, no effects or loops, as minimal as you can get. It isn't only about the layout, it is about the function. I may have switched over to SDJ without a problem if the album art didn't shrink and the layout wasn't so cluttered.
Mr. Goodkat 10:44 PM - 4 April, 2014
its like they went for the traktor look, without any of the modular replacement options.

SDJ is working for me, but its like i wanted Scratch Live '14 and got Scratch Live Le with better time stretch(which honestly is not hands down better than traktors, maybe slightly better, but not the difference between SSL and SDJ or even close.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:57 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Because most people that operate a cumputer usually do. Seriously, there's information on the screen. BPM info, library info, sound effects, loops, etc. All of that is done on the screen, at some point you have to look at the screen.

Right you have to "look" at the screen. Most that use the skin argument are coming off sounding like their staring at it for long periods of time.

For myself I really only need to look so I can choose my track. I don't use many effects (well it all depends on what mixer I'm using) so I have those slots memorized. My loops I have to look at from time to time but other then that you really don't need to stare at the screen. Who cares what it looks like.
Mr. Goodkat 11:02 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
For myself I really only need to look so I can choose my track. I don't use many effects (well it all depends on what mixer I'm using) so I have those slots memorized. My loops I have to look at from time to time but other then that you really don't need to stare at the screen. Who cares what it looks like.

who cares if you stare at the screen or cares if someone likes to stare their entire gig at the screen? Generally 'you' or 'i' do. So the someone who cares is the person using it.
 6 11:20 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yup.

That was just idiotic.

nm