DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Discontinuation Of Scratch Live

Shawn 1:39 PM - 7 September, 2013
Hi my name is DJ Shawn T from Philly I have 20 + years as a DJ I have been a Serato DJ since Serato first started I am a Superadio DJ my music library consist of a 2.0 and 3.0 USB Seagate external hardrive with well over 300,000 songs on it. Recently I read a article that said Serato will eventually discontinue Scratch Live and replace it with Serato DJ.

Serato DJ is a great software but until they fix the crashing problem with us DJ's with Very Large Libraries they should not discontinue Scratch LIVE. I currently use the following: Current Version of Serato DJ Intro (NO PROBLEMS), Current Version of Scratch LIVE (NO PROBLEMS) 1.8 Version Of ITCH (NO PROBLEMS) Current Version of VIRTUAL DJ (NO PROBLEMS)

NOW FOR THE PROBLEMS

Before Itch was discontinued the last version would crash every time I would try to load software, The Current version Serato DJ does the same thing it crashes every time I try and start the software I tried everything possible to fix the problem. I tried reinstall, I tried using a MAC & PC, I tried rebuilding crates and V2 file so after no success and the problem continuing finally I called Serato techs.

Serato techs went over everything and made some suggestions and together we went over what could be the problem we couldn't find out why the last version of ITCH & Serato DJ kept crashing.

The tech asked me did I have music on my laptop I told him NO I told him all my music was on a external hardrive and he asked me how many songs were on my hardrive I told him it was over 300,000 songs he told me that's what my problem was too many songs on my hardrive and that's why the 2 softwares are crashing. He said to take some of the songs off my hardrive I didn't need that many songs on a gig because I wasn't going to play no where near that many songs (I THOUGHT THAT WAS A DUMB STATEMENT) but let's continue

What I don't understand is how come I can load every single song on my hardrive on the PAST AND CURRENT versions of SCRATCH LIVE, SERATO INTRO, ITCH 1.8 and have absolutely no problems but yet if I try to use the same hardrive the same library on the latest version of ITCH and SERATO DJ a software that's suppose to be equip with the latest technology and innovation I have problems software crashes every time to this day September 7, 2013.

So my suggestion is until the makers of the Serato DJ & Itch software's correct this problem they SHOULD NOT DISCONTINUE SCRATCH LIVE just my thoughts

If anyone knows a way I can fix this problem please let me know

Thanks Serato Family
skinnyguy 6:39 PM - 7 September, 2013
current workaround is......use the older versions. not like we're being held to gunpoint to upgrade.

but yea, it's gonna suck if the problem isn't fixed and you need to buy new hardware or want some of the newer features to be introduced. no way around that except deleting music.
dj_soo 10:41 PM - 7 September, 2013
they aren't discontinuing it - they just aren't going to support/upgrade it after 2015.

The same issue occurs in scratchlive but apparently it requires even more music to make it happen.
Mr. Goodkat 12:26 AM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
He said to take some of the songs off my hardrive I didn't need that many songs on a gig because I wasn't going to play no where near that many songs (I THOUGHT THAT WAS A DUMB STATEMENT) but let's continue

you have 5,000 hours of music, maybe its a smart statement. unless somehow you can bring your computer to the after life and have a dj gig for eternity.
 6 12:48 AM - 8 September, 2013
It just makes no sense especially with the hundreds of remixes that there are for every song that gets released. nm
Mr. Goodkat 12:55 AM - 8 September, 2013
itch was always buggy for me, i just hope it doesnt become one of those situations.

wondering what is the general area when things start to go bad? like around 50k songs?
dj_soo 12:57 AM - 8 September, 2013
how many of those hundreds of remixes do you need to own or play?
 6 1:09 AM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:

I don't need or play many remixes. It was a joke. But, to say you need to put a limit in a time when all is digital and you're not physically carrying media is sad.

There are a ton of genres in music. Then double that for videos if you play both. You either limit yourself or you let your freestyle nature take over and go with the flow.

How do we go from not having to worry about how many files we have to being limited because it affects stability? That's unacceptable.

nm
DJ Boom Bap 1:11 AM - 8 September, 2013
They are going to HAVE to fix the library issue, soon, or they will not survive
4mydawgz 1:23 AM - 8 September, 2013
whoa whoa... whats this about scratch live being discontinued for Serato DJ. Where can i get more info on this.
Mr. Goodkat 1:24 AM - 8 September, 2013
it seems like you could have 50,000 songs and be fine. maybe a few different hds for special gigs like weddings, latin, 50s/60s/70s.

even if you play a song every minute of a 4 hour gig you are only playing 240 songs.
 6 1:46 AM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
it seems like you could have 50,000 songs and be fine. maybe a few different hds for special gigs like weddings, latin, 50s/60s/70s.

even if you play a song every minute of a 4 hour gig you are only playing 240 songs.

Or you an just play the same song over and over at every gig and not have to ever worry about about anything.

Come on man. Once you're start limiting stuff because of stability on a program from a company that didn't have a problem with stability with a different program of theirs, then there's something more to look at. Is the workaround to limit your library size? Sure. But, are we going to allow workarounds for everything instead of just fixing the source of the problem?

nm
4mydawgz 1:51 AM - 8 September, 2013
If Serato don't make a SDJ Box a la the SSL Box, then this will truly be the end of DJn. Serato is trying to strong arm up and coming and current DJ's. Forcing you gotta pay 2000 for a mixer and program with features you will never use. Not having an SDJ box means companies like Behringer, Vestax, Ecler, Pioneer etc wont be able to produce competing mixer because they wont be compatible with SDJ.
 6 1:52 AM - 8 September, 2013
And here's the question I haven't seen an answer to:

How big is too big? Is your library okay at 49,999 and not at 50,000?
Do programmers really know the number when it starts having issues
or is this a guessing game?

nm
DJMark 2:00 AM - 8 September, 2013
If it's a memory problem, as I've seen stated elsewhere, it's going to depend on the user's configuration and maybe how they set some of the options.

I'd guess, for example, that running the buffer at 60 seconds would expose the problem sooner than if the buffer is run at 15 seconds.
Mr. Goodkat 3:04 AM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Or you an just play the same song over and over at every gig and not have to ever worry about about anything.

Come on man. Once you're start limiting stuff because of stability on a program from a company that didn't have a problem with stability with a different program of theirs, then there's something more to look at. Is the workaround to limit your library size? Sure. But, are we going to allow workarounds for everything instead of just fixing the source of the problem?

nm

i see what you are saying and don't disagree to a point. Pretty much everything has limits computers, cars or people(etc). If i want to put 50 inch rims on my Ac, and it won't operate like that, is it Acuras fault? If i want to put a 48 gigs of ram in my MBP, is it apples fault...

maybe Serato should just post limitations with library's like they do with processors and ram mins.
 6 3:16 AM - 8 September, 2013
If other programs are handling the same big libraries fine, doesn't it bother you that Serato DJ and itch aren't? Even SSL is okay with big libraries.

nm
the_black_one 3:58 AM - 8 September, 2013
bitches like it when i give it to them big !!!!!

NM NH
Mr. Goodkat 4:26 AM - 8 September, 2013
guess i got by on a 250gb hd for the last 4 years, so i never really thought about it. i always just went in and pruned from time. it was a bit slim, because i used about 160-170 of that, but i guess if traktor handles it, then it does make sense for serato to as well.
Dj Nyce 4:15 PM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
they aren't discontinuing it - they just aren't going to support/upgrade it after 2015.

i have to disagree with you soo. no support (lets say they still offer support via the forums), no bug fixes, no improvements in the software world means discontinued, sunsettted, end of life.

but back to the library thing. i don't have this problem (knock on wood). my library is 60k strong and loads perfectly fine in ssl, sdj and traktor. but many, many people have this problem and it will exponentially multiplied once the ssl users start using sdj.

my suggestion if you never used sdj download it right now and run it in offline mode.
skinnyguy 6:55 PM - 8 September, 2013
Is the bug that bad? Won't even run in offline mode? Ugh...
Dj Wunder 7:36 PM - 8 September, 2013
300,000?
Dj Wunder 7:36 PM - 8 September, 2013
300,000???
dj_soo 7:52 PM - 8 September, 2013
This library issue is exactly the reason why consolidating the teams is necessary. It occurs in sl as well as all their other programs and reportedly it's a huge fix that they have been unable to dedicate the resources to. Well now it will be a lot easier to do that and hopefully it will be fixed before scratchlive gets phased out.
Dj Wunder 8:05 PM - 8 September, 2013
But 300,000 tracks though? I mean, I look sideways at cats with 60k, 90k tracks, but don't say much, but I can confidently say without reservation that we have absolutely no possible reason to carry that many tracks. My 18,000 finely tuned and tagged tracks do the job for me, from the club to mobile gigs that cater to multi-racial demographics of 9-90 year olds, and honestly I may use half of those with any regularity. Do I occasionally have to play tracks from my phone? Sure, but in my defense, any song that I don't have in my laptop wasn't gonna make or break my night, and if have to head over to Google Music to make some random kid or middle aged lady happy, so be it! For $6.99/month I have a few million songs in my phone
DJ Reflex 8:24 PM - 8 September, 2013
^^ True ^^

But hey, with 300,000 songs, you can truly play your entire DJ career and NEVER have to repeat one of them.

"The Wobble? Sorry, I played that 3 years ago. You missed it - no repeats."
 6 8:36 PM - 8 September, 2013
While 300K tracks is excessive. You guys forget that even if it was 30K or 60K, it's still a problem they haven't been able to fix. Remember, other programs can handle that many tracks. It's not like you're reading all of them all the time.

Can we all separate just the tracks we may need at a gig? Sure. We did it back when we had actual record crates. But, this isn't the past now is it?

I NEED to have all my tracks in one place because it makes the most sense when you're organizing. They're all in one place so you can get rid of duplicates or those songs that you've had for years that just weren't of the greatest quality. Same with videos. And if you do videos, you know that better quality ones are released often. Not to mention for back up purposes. I back up one drive and that's it. I don't have to be backing up multiple sources.

So like I said, there are workarounds but instead, the problem should be fixed.

nm
skinnyguy 9:32 PM - 8 September, 2013
wait.....so this guy in my area that uses scratchlive and boasts of his 1,000,000+ song library....was bs-ing?
Dj Nyce 11:27 PM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
But 300,000 tracks though? I mean, I look sideways at cats with 60k, 90k tracks, but don't say much, but I can confidently say without reservation that we have absolutely no possible reason to carry that many tracks. My 18,000 finely tuned and tagged tracks do the job for me, from the club to mobile gigs that cater to multi-racial demographics of 9-90 year olds, and honestly I may use half of those with any regularity. Do I occasionally have to play tracks from my phone? Sure, but in my defense, any song that I don't have in my laptop wasn't gonna make or break my night, and if have to head over to Google Music to make some random kid or middle aged lady happy, so be it! For $6.99/month I have a few million songs in my phone

60k is easy when you factor in your personal library which include albums, original soundtracks and compilations. for instance i have every single public enemy, every jay-z, ever mary j blige, every naughty by nature album. i mean there are tracks from napster in there as well. that plus a multi-genre dj library that spans a to z.

as an example i have every single greensleeves album. do i play every track from a riddim...hell no. but i love having the ability to be fluid and play the one track on the riddim that no one ever plays. and it only costs hard drive space which is dirt cheap.

my library is pretty much complete at 60k tracks. it only grows by about 1000 tracks a year, but about 500 older tracks gets pruned throughout the year.

so its really feasible to have tens of thousands of songs as a music lover or as a dj. if serato dj is to be a pro dj solution it needs to be able to handle large libraries and if it can't, limits need to be advertised and expectations set. it would be a shame though because traktor and other dj software don't seem to be hindered by this problem.

300,000 and 1,000,000 is ridiculous tho...even as a music lover.
Shawn 4:41 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
He said to take some of the songs off my hardrive I didn't need that many songs on a gig because I wasn't going to play no where near that many songs (I THOUGHT THAT WAS A DUMB STATEMENT) but let's continue

you have 5,000 hours of music, maybe its a smart statement. unless somehow you can bring your computer to the after life and have a dj gig for eternity.

Not sure how many gigs you do a year but I do a ton of gigs and i play for a variety of People, Races and religions when you're doing mobile events you never know what music request people our going to ask for I don't like to say no if i can help it so I m always updating my library and I am always making sure I don't have to say no I don't have that song to people at a party my ego can't take it
Shawn 4:42 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I don't need or play many remixes. It was a joke. But, to say you need to put a limit in a time when all is digital and you're not physically carrying media is sad.

There are a ton of genres in music. Then double that for videos if you play both. You either limit yourself or you let your freestyle nature take over and go with the flow.

How do we go from not having to worry about how many files we have to being limited because it affects stability? That's unacceptable.

That's what I am saying I agree 100%
nm
Shawn 4:46 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

60k is easy when you factor in your personal library which include albums, original soundtracks and compilations. for instance i have every single public enemy, every jay-z, ever mary j blige, every naughty by nature album. i mean there are tracks from napster in there as well. that plus a multi-genre dj library that spans a to z.

as an example i have every single greensleeves album. do i play every track from a riddim...hell no. but i love having the ability to be fluid and play the one track on the riddim that no one ever plays. and it only costs hard drive space which is dirt cheap.

my library is pretty much complete at 60k tracks. it only grows by about 1000 tracks a year, but about 500 older tracks gets pruned throughout the year.

so its really feasible to have tens of thousands of songs as a music lover or as a dj. if serato dj is to be a pro dj solution it needs to be able to handle large libraries and if it can't, limits need to be advertised and expectations set. it would be a shame though because traktor and other dj software don't seem to be hindered by this problem.

300,000 and 1,000,000 is ridiculous tho...even as a music lover.

For you it's ridiculous that's you choice how can you tell someone what's ridiculous in regards to their library I have a large library because i choose too have a large library and that why I do 250 + gigs a year because i can please multiple people multiple races in multiple situations and my customers love it I do 250 + gigs a year and i no longer advertise so i must be doing something right
Shawn 4:49 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
While 300K tracks is excessive. You guys forget that even if it was 30K or 60K, it's still a problem they haven't been able to fix. Remember, other programs can handle that many tracks. It's not like you're reading all of them all the time.

Can we all separate just the tracks we may need at a gig? Sure. We did it back when we had actual record crates. But, this isn't the past now is it?

I NEED to have all my tracks in one place because it makes the most sense when you're organizing. They're all in one place so you can get rid of duplicates or those songs that you've had for years that just weren't of the greatest quality. Same with videos. And if you do videos, you know that better quality ones are released often. Not to mention for back up purposes. I back up one drive and that's it. I don't have to be backing up multiple sources.

So like I said, there are workarounds but instead, the problem should be fixed.

nm

I AGREE 100%
Shawn 4:51 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Talk to them please some of these DJ's I wonder
Joshua Carl 5:39 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
If Serato don't make a SDJ Box a la the SSL Box, then this will truly be the end of DJn. Serato is trying to strong arm up and coming and current DJ's. Forcing you gotta pay 2000 for a mixer and program with features you will never use. Not having an SDJ box means companies like Behringer, Vestax, Ecler, Pioneer etc wont be able to produce competing mixer because they wont be compatible with SDJ.

the 62-64-68 SL2/SL3/SL4 will all work.
Its only the 57 and SL1 that will not work with Serato DJ

the library thing scares me a bit too.
my question is this.... is it the NUMBER of files you have, or the SUM of your content size?

IE 300,000 songs Vs 30,000 videos or 1Tb (not accurate numbers.... but for example sake)
DJ Quartz 5:40 PM - 12 September, 2013
Everyone.....

ScratchLive is still available and will still work with the 57SL, just keep using it.

If you want to move the SDJ then it will require new hardware.

I think everyone is focusing on the shock of SSL support ending in 2015. It's not going to blow up and stop working.

You can STILL use it with the existing hardware.
Joshua Carl 5:47 PM - 12 September, 2013
this is hardly a "sales pitch" but to be honest.
if you are playing in a room with a decent sound system your doing your self a diservice by NOT upgrading to a 24bit mixer or SL Unit.

I still have, love and will never sell my 57.
but in some of my rooms the sound quality boost is noticeable (and not only by you)

its certainly not the end of the world, but if you have the means to do so I would highly recommend it.

if you pumping out via 6 powered speakers, or a jenky system, I wouldnt sweat it too much
DJ Quartz 5:52 PM - 12 September, 2013
I think people feel like their hand is being forced.

It is in a way but you still have a medium to work with at least.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:25 PM - 12 September, 2013
Back in the day, Serato used to be just for the pros. Then the controller market came and they started shifting their energy toward the n00bs and turned their backs on the pros. Updates for scratch live slowed right down and people with controllers were getting all these cool features that vinyl and CDJ cats got left in the dark.

Looking back, it would be nice if they focused on improving scratch live's architcture rather than abandonning it and creating 2 new programs altogether. If you keep putting the benchmark higher, it can only be a hood thing - keep it professional and let the n00bs aspire lead the way for the pros and everyone will envy. Rather than lowering thr benchmark with all this Serato intro crap. I find this whole thing ironic. I hope they make it as close to scratch live as possible to compensate.
DJ Quartz 8:47 PM - 12 September, 2013
They have to make money to keep alive period, people keep forgetting that.

You make an awesome product but never evolve to get new revenue, you die.

It's that simple.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:53 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
They have to make money to keep alive period, people keep forgetting that.

You make an awesome product but never evolve to get new revenue, you die.

It's that simple.

True but what you have to consider is alot of us stuck with sl because it focused on pro level users. If it wants to veer away from that, thats fine, its a company and has to do what its gotta do, but if its going to change lanes to race the compitition at their game then we as users have new choices as customers to make. Before it was pros bought pro software, others bought toys, now were all together in the toy store and the other toy companys have a biiiiiig headstart
Joshua Carl 8:56 PM - 12 September, 2013
It's certainly a bit of an unprecedented situation

But decisions are made apparently.
DJ Quartz 9:18 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
True but what you have to consider is alot of us stuck with sl because it focused on pro level users. If it wants to veer away from that, thats fine, its a company and has to do what its gotta do, but if its going to change lanes to race the compitition at their game then we as users have new choices as customers to make. Before it was pros bought pro software, others bought toys, now were all together in the toy store and the other toy companys have a biiiiiig headstart

Here's the thing people are failing to see,

Take the Pro arguement out of it. You have one platform to management, you have a new user base, more revenue.

More revenue means more resources with one product to manage.

This is a win-win, we get faster updates, more features, etc, etc.

It's not such a bad thing people.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the thing people are failing to see,

Take the Pro arguement out of it. You have one platform to management, you have a new user base, more revenue.

More revenue means more resources with one product to manage.

This is a win-win, we get faster updates, more features, etc, etc.

It's not such a bad thing people.

Thats what they said about serato video....still waiting on improvments and updates
DJ Quartz 9:25 PM - 12 September, 2013
Well...

Let's see....

The will have the following now, Serato DJ, Serato Intro, Serato Video & Serato Remote

I'm not sure if they are planning to do much more with intro since it is an introductory product.

But now if they are moving to a unified SDJ platform they have no choice but to get cracking on Serato Video if they want to compete with ME.

People are already asking about ME support and I have a feeling based on the responses that is a No.
Joshua Carl 9:26 PM - 12 September, 2013
Well, that's certainly an optimistic view I wish I could share...
One dvs, more hands on deck.
But now how many more variables are there gonna be with more companies making interfaces PLUS the existing

This is similar to the reason people don't lean towards PCS
Too many variables, from too many different companies.

Keeping the system Mac+SeRato made the margin for 3rd party issues pretty minimal.
So keeping the hardware RANE+cdj/cv pretty simple

So now the team is goin to be spread pretty vast over all the potential issues.

It's the same thing they said with SeRato video.
It was cited as a rebuild to have a better foundation to build off for the suture
Ehem; not much more needs to be said on that.

I would love to think this might one day open up the bottleneck of the support stream but I can foresee it doin just the opposite
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:30 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Well...

Let's see....

The will have the following now, Serato DJ, Serato Intro, Serato Video & Serato Remote

I'm not sure if they are planning to do much more with intro since it is an introductory product.

But now if they are moving to a unified SDJ platform they have no choice but to get cracking on Serato Video if they want to compete with ME.

People are already asking about ME support and I have a feeling based on the responses that is a No.

Heres what im saying though, if the positive thing is sl now only has 4 pieces of software and a whole team to focus on them....
So does traktor and theyve had their focus unified for a lot longer
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Well, that's certainly an optimistic view I wish I could share...
One dvs, more hands on deck.
But now how many more variables are there gonna be with more companies making interfaces PLUS the existing

This is similar to the reason people don't lean towards PCS
Too many variables, from too many different companies.

Keeping the system Mac+SeRato made the margin for 3rd party issues pretty minimal.
So keeping the hardware RANE+cdj/cv pretty simple

So now the team is goin to be spread pretty vast over all the potential issues.

It's the same thing they said with SeRato video.
It was cited as a rebuild to have a better foundation to build off for the suture
Ehem; not much more needs to be said on that.

I would love to think this might one day open up the bottleneck of the support stream but I can foresee it doin just the opposite

Exactly, before all SL had to have code for was rane gear and time code, now it has to have code for a fuck ton of midi controllers, time code, 3rd party efx packs, any other developers cards ect ect. All that bloat is just a bubble if parts waiting to go wrong where as sl was nice and streamlined
DJ Quartz 9:37 PM - 12 September, 2013
Here's the thing, you guys forget.

Serato works tightly with these companies to create/support them. They are not just using a shotgun approach and supporting anything under the sun.
DJMark 9:41 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Serato works tightly with these companies to create/support them. They are not just using a shotgun approach and supporting anything under the sun.

Scratch Live: had to work with one company.

SDJ: has to work with (how many?) companies.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:42 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Dosent matter how closly you work with a company in the end having to support 100 controllers from 12 different companys is goin to increase possible errors and bloat.
Joshua Carl 9:43 PM - 12 September, 2013
They used a sniper rifle for in-house SeRato video.
But that's about as useful as bantha poodoo
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:43 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

SDJ: has to work with (how many?) companies.
exactly
DJMark 9:43 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Dosent matter how closly you work with a company in the end having to support 100 controllers from 12 different companys is goin to increase possible errors and bloat.

exactly
DJ Quartz 9:44 PM - 12 September, 2013
If they are designing it makes a big difference.
DJMark 9:46 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Have you ever worked in software testing, in a situation where third-party hardware support was more or less critical to the stability of the product?

I have...

And therefore I'm worried.
Joshua Carl 9:50 PM - 12 September, 2013
And last time I checked some of the SeRato elders had left
(Not that they didn't replace them with new capable people)

But in the next few years not on are you:

A. A shit ton of totally green djs who don't know a cross fader from a USB port
B. a shit ton of old salty 57/sl1 users giving in and learning a new program
C. A handful of hardware and companies to deal with
D. An increased workload for support that comes with a major software release
E. bezzle
F. Getting SeRato video even 1/10th as good as ME
G. All the salty people trying to use SV, and failing

You could seriously go to about Q

It's safe to say SeRato staff is gonna have their hands full
I'm sure they are expecting, and preparing for it.
But it's gonna be a shit storm

I field 3-5 calls a week my damn self and I'm not even on the payroll!
dj_soo 10:38 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Have you ever worked in software testing, in a situation where third-party hardware support was more or less critical to the stability of the product?

I have...

And therefore I'm worried.

I used to test software for a living. My last gig, we couldn't even work compatibility between multiple pieces of hardware and we design and manufactured both the software AND the hardware.

This is most definitely a concern, but I'm going to have a bit of faith. It's not like midi is brand new technology or anything.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:46 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
And last time I checked some of the SeRato elders had left
(Not that they didn't replace them with new capable people)

But in the next few years not on are you:

A. A shit ton of totally green djs who don't know a cross fader from a USB port
B. a shit ton of old salty 57/sl1 users giving in and learning a new program
C. A handful of hardware and companies to deal with
D. An increased workload for support that comes with a major software release
E. bezzle
F. Getting SeRato video even 1/10th as good as ME
G. All the salty people trying to use SV, and failing

You could seriously go to about Q

It's safe to say SeRato staff is gonna have their hands full
I'm sure they are expecting, and preparing for it.
But it's gonna be a shit storm

LMFAO!!!!
dj_soo 11:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

I'm the go-to serato support guy in my area. I need to just setup a pay number or something.
the_black_one 11:29 PM - 12 September, 2013
Got I tech support in my area down... Need to get paid ...

NM NH
DJMark 11:39 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I'm the go-to serato support guy in my area.

I have the same "issue". I don't mind it at all with friends who I'm otherwise in regular contact with, but I do mind it when it's people who never seem to be around for any other reason...
Joshua Carl 11:59 PM - 12 September, 2013
I love the 1130pm facetime calls ...
For a pressed reverse linefader button :-)
the_black_one 12:01 AM - 13 September, 2013
Only face time I do is bitches!!!

NM NH
DJ Quartz 1:01 AM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:

Yes I have before I came over to this camp and IT in general as my career for the last 20yrs.

I know what being the grunt is like, etc...

I went through the Final Scratch fiasco already, this will be a walk in the park.
DJ Quartz 1:04 AM - 13 September, 2013
Moreso, I would GLADLY work for Serato vs some of the shite I had to support in this IT world!
skinnyguy 6:37 PM - 13 September, 2013
i honestly think that if they opened up SDJ to allow ME to be functional within the system, there would be more happy users, a lot of people woudn't hesitate to buy new hardware, and serato would have more resources (money and manpower) to improve SDJ and SV.

all the ME users would be happy. we would def buy new hardware. since ME users are only mac, only the pc users would be getting SV....well, mostly. i'm sure some mac users would get SV....but also, with the mac/ME users happy, the serato team can concentrate on FINALLY pushing out some improvements on the SV side, especially on the PC side of SV.

in a way, i see it as "lighting a fire" under the SV devs feet and giving them extra time to work on SV (not having to worry about the mac side of SV since most serious vj's use ME). versus now, i'm pretty sure they're pulling the SV devs to help rush things out to incorporate SSL into SDJ which has resulted in stagnancy for SV.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:53 PM - 13 September, 2013
The problem with video implimentation at setato is the only person who knew what he was doin started his own damn company lol
the_black_one 7:01 PM - 13 September, 2013
Serato dj is a rip off of mix emergency. The GUIs are the same .... They copied the guy that left ... They should copy his programing skills

NM NH
DJ Quartz 3:06 PM - 14 September, 2013
SSL still gets love....

www.reloop.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 3:13 PM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:
SSL still gets love....

www.reloop.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

looks interesting
DJ GOOK 3:47 PM - 14 September, 2013
All this talk about Death of Scratchlive. Did they ever fixed the biggest problem people keep complaining about? What you might ask. Key Lock!

In all the comparisons not one thing about approved Key Lock!
DJ Quartz 3:51 PM - 14 September, 2013
I'll be honest, one thing I noticed in SDJ vs SSL is the keylock is better in SDJ.

I don't know if this has something to do with the izotope engine, I assumed they use the same engine for the keylock feature.

But since it's only going to be updated for another year or so, who knows what will happen.
Dj Wunder 8:12 PM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
SSL still gets love....

www.reloop.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

looks interesting

Technic guts in that thing. I'm all in, I'll take 4 please
Chrisjin 8:46 PM - 14 September, 2013
300K songs is freaking nuts!!!! When you spun long before dvs's came out, how many pieces of vinyl/Cd's (for the cdj) did you have to bring to rock out a club or a party 3-5 hours long? Before dvs, how many songs did you really have for mobiles? Even now I wont bring bring more than 10K songs to a club because I keep rotating files during the weeks. New shit, old shit, exclusives. My HD is changed constantly and it doesn't bother me to take a 45mins to an hour a week to update my drive.

I do understand the plight from the OP and that software should not be a root cause for limitations but damn 300K. Thats overs 6 months of continuous music. Overkill!
dj_soo 8:55 PM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:
SSL still gets love....

www.reloop.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

what does that have to do with scratchlive? It's a turntable/midi controller - you'll be able to use that with virtual dj if you wanted to.
 6 9:26 PM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:
300K songs is freaking nuts!!!! When you spun long before dvs's came out, how many pieces of vinyl/Cd's (for the cdj) did you have to bring to rock out a club or a party 3-5 hours long? Before dvs, how many songs did you really have for mobiles? Even now I wont bring bring more than 10K songs to a club because I keep rotating files during the weeks. New shit, old shit, exclusives. My HD is changed constantly and it doesn't bother me to take a 45mins to an hour a week to update my drive.

I do understand the plight from the OP and that software should not be a root cause for limitations but damn 300K. Thats overs 6 months of continuous music. Overkill!

Rotating files is a waste of time. Same when needing to back up. I agree 300K is a lot but it's the digital age. Should be able to handle that and more.

nm
Chrisjin 9:27 PM - 14 September, 2013
It might be to some but it keeps my music up to date and get rid of the clutter that I know wont be played. Like I said 45 mins for the week is not a big deal for me
Dj Roth 8:53 PM - 15 September, 2013
I'm pretty disappointed from whats going on. Im using my 57 for alot of time now and i LOVE it.
The mixer itself in terms of stability and faders - pretty awesome.
The buttons on it though - not really user friendly, and it lacks alot of stuff but I manage to use it somehow.
For my small gigs I got myself a Denon 2000 with Serato DJ, Since day 1 I hated this software over SSL, Just hated. The interface layout is horrible. Why the decks are so big? So I can see the BPM better? It takes off all the room from the waveforms! I can see half the waveforms from SSL! This is just not comfortable to use.
Why the "played" songs is marked with grey and not green? grey is just an ugly color and makes it barley visible. I hate it. The effects are better then SSL, but still doesnt comes close to what Traktor has. Not even close.
The software has dropouts (opened a help thread and nobody found a solution for this, happend in ITCH also)
And it crashed on me twice already.
I was waiting for an update to SSL (Serato always said that they are planning an update for it) and I got a new software that I just hate.
I dont have a problem to upgrade my 57, But I will not upgrade to a 62 for a crappy software, I know I can stick with SSL but I will just not gonna get any updates and its really frustrating.
I'm really considering to move for a Z2 with Traktor, I dont see the point anymore.
SSL was great and they just killed it.
From my own experience the SDJ is not good, Its not quite there. Thanks Serato for nothing!
Dj Wunder 9:31 PM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:
...but I will just not gonna get any updates and its really frustrating.

spoiled

Quote:
I'm really considering to move for a Z2 with Traktor, I dont see the point anymore.
SSL was great and they just killed it.

Please, by all means, move on to Traktor. FWIW SSL will continue to be as great in the future as it is today

Quote:
From my own experience the SDJ is not good, Its not quite there.

Everything you said about SDJ is true. Let's also mention the missing cue point labels, and the inability to sort the library by color.

Quote:
Thanks Serato for nothing!

I guess the 10 years of highly active support for a 2 channel DJ mixer just doesn't have garner the same respect that it used to...
dj_soo 10:29 PM - 15 September, 2013
some of y'all seem more entitled that the request princesses at clubs...
Mr. Goodkat 10:30 PM - 15 September, 2013
ttm57 hasnt been out for 10 years.
the_black_one 11:31 PM - 15 September, 2013
Sand removal service!!! Look it up ladies

NM MH
skinnyguy 3:04 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
I'll be honest, one thing I noticed in SDJ vs SSL is the keylock is better in SDJ.

i feel SSL had a better keylock. well, last time i used SDJ, it was still "ITCH". hopefully it was improved.
dj_soo 3:44 AM - 16 September, 2013
itch had terrible key lock - SDJ is better but still not great. Haven't done a side by side comparison between ssl and sdj, but ssl isn't good either...
Mr. Goodkat 3:46 AM - 16 September, 2013
the only thing that concerns me is stability after hearing the 1.3 nitemares.

what issues does 1.3 have besides not being able to have 16 trillion songs? seems like im hearing a bunch of roll back to 1.2 comments.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:58 AM - 16 September, 2013
Yeah I wonder how much better the SDJ key lock will be
dj_soo 4:39 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:

what issues does 1.3 have besides not being able to have 16 trillion songs? seems like im hearing a bunch of roll back to 1.2 comments.

I haven't had any problems with 1.3 and I've been doing 4-8 hour gigs at least once a week with my vci-380.

I have heard that the newly supported controllers have had some issues tho (VCI-300 and Twitch).
DJ Quartz 1:19 PM - 16 September, 2013
1.3 is working just fine for me.
DJ Remy USA 3:24 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't had any problems with 1.3 and I've been doing 4-8 hour gigs at least once a week with my vci-380.

I have heard that the newly supported controllers have had some issues tho (VCI-300 and Twitch).

I think once they implement DVS control then we will se a spike in issues. Anybody remember Torq and all their issues with external control. Works fine with a controller but once that bass starts feeding into that needle those vibrations made the program go crazy. I hope Serato DJ is a good product I will get a 62 but stay with SSL for the foreseable future.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:59 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:

SSL will continue to be as great in the future as it is today

True considering it will no longer be updated lol
str8nger 4:27 PM - 16 September, 2013
They should at least give us one last up grade before they stop supporting. Like give us a new skin color like the new serato Dj ??
Dj Nyce 5:24 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
They should at least give us one last up grade before they stop supporting. Like give us a new skin color like the new serato Dj ??

ssl won't be sunsetted until 2015. there will definitely be some updates between now and then. what would be dope is if they throw in a whole shitload of feature requests as one last hurrah.
DJ Quartz 5:38 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
I think once they implement DVS control then we will se a spike in issues. Anybody remember Torq and all their issues with external control. Works fine with a controller but once that bass starts feeding into that needle those vibrations made the program go crazy. I hope Serato DJ is a good product I will get a 62 but stay with SSL for the foreseable future.

If they implement a filter it will eradicate this problem.

SSL still suffers from drifting when it comes to this.
skinnyguy 6:37 PM - 16 September, 2013
splice. just add splice and i'm happy.

and if they really wanna get fancy, non-destructive editing like how that vdj 8 is supposed to have with that timeline thing.
skinnyguy 6:37 PM - 16 September, 2013
oh, and i guess midi platter out....so i can use the denon 6000 properly...but i guess that's gonna be sdj....
str8nger 6:39 PM - 16 September, 2013
how about some
New effects
Mr. Goodkat 6:53 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

twitch never worked with itch either. or for me, it would crash at really weird times, 20 mins sometimes , 2 hours others.
DJ Remy USA 7:05 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

ssl won't be sunsetted until 2015. there will definitely be some updates between now and then. what would be dope is if they throw in a whole shitload of feature requests as one last hurrah.

Im scared of this what if everything they throw in makes it less stable. I do like the idea of adding some skins to the software or at least making it customizable so you can create your own skin but then it may just be tacky at that point.
the_black_one 7:16 PM - 16 September, 2013
no skins ......

NH NM
str8nger 7:25 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im scared of this what if everything they throw in makes it less stable. I do like the idea of adding some skins to the software or at least making it customizable so you can create your own skin but then it may just be tacky at that point.

Just a simple updated look, nothing tacky lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:26 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
no skins ......

NH NM

This
Jensen Määäm 10:16 PM - 16 September, 2013
If you want the new colours, then just go the Serato DJ route...
I prefer the SSL colour way.
Shawn 12:07 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:

Like I have said before If you do a lot of mobile gigs like me and you don't like to say no to your customers then 300k is not overkill when i am doing mobile gigs you never know what people will ask for
Shawn 12:08 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Like I have said before If you do a lot of mobile gigs like me and you don't like to say no to your customers then 300k is not overkill when i am doing mobile gigs you never know what people will ask for it still does not justify the problem with the software
Mr. Goodkat 3:57 AM - 17 September, 2013
next on DIscovery(because they have the best/worst reality programs), 'mp3 hoarders'.
the_black_one 5:38 AM - 17 September, 2013
Really!!!! You folks needs 3000000000 songs !!! GTFO

NM NH
dj_soo 7:12 AM - 17 September, 2013
As a part time mobile Dj, unless they specifically request some obscure song ahead of time, I prefer to just say no to stupid requests.
WarpNote 10:58 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:

SDJ: has to work with (how many?) companies

@DJMark
Not entirely true, in addition to Rane products, SSL supports/used to support:
Pioneer MEP 7000, Denon HC4500, HC1000S, Novation Dicer & Vestax VFX1.
They also had to consider a s-load of different PC configurations...

And remember, Serato did have the Itch platform supporting Numark, A&H, Pioneer, Novation & Vestax, so I guess they must have come to some standards for sound interfaces by now?

However, I do get your point about the "more factors, more room for error" argument. I just think there has been a lot of factors for quite a while, and the merger might do them well. At least they (Serato) seem to think so themselves...
mud_mouthed 2:59 AM - 18 September, 2013
Whatever I'm a music hoarder. I like having weird ass tracks in my library BPM'd and key'd and just spending hours mixing weird shit weaving in and out of every genre. Allot I would never play out but occasionally there's something that just works and I'm completely shocked and will bring it out the studio. I'm able to do this because I have a 100k library.

Well at least I have been able to do this. I don't remember when but shit started crashing at some point then I cleared out a bunch of track renamed shit a few months back and it worked again.

Now it's crashing again. Hate this garbage.

What version did the large library crashing start? What version is safe for large libraries? Anybody know? I heard 2.1 was safe maybe.

Fix your software Rane before I move to traktor forever.
DJ Remy USA 3:33 AM - 18 September, 2013
with 100k files imagine how many of those files were terrible bit rates and duplicates.
 6 4:34 AM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
with 100k files imagine how many of those files were terrible bit rates and duplicates.

You can't assume that. I know a few cats whose library is on point, completely organized and more than 100K files. They also do video so that accounts for that many files too.

I'm jealous of their library. I still have about 30K to organize. Granted, I really don't have duplicates but I'm just cleaning stuff out. I have 30K all done. I still have 1700 videos to go through.

Organizing is tedious. Now I couldn't imagine doing this across different hard drives with different kinds of music on them. Having all centralized on one makes it easier even for backing up purposes. nm
mud_mouthed 6:20 AM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:

A majority of them are actually V0 rips of my old 12"s and CDs along with 320kbs and a bunch of FLACs. Also got a fair amount of crappy but important DJ pool rips.

I keep my library obsessively organized and scan for doubles every few months. All organized by genre and decade.

But yeah I got backups of all my old napster files (128kb) I need to get rid of them luckily they are no where near my damn serato library.

Having multiply hard drives would be the biggest pain. Rane fix your damn code.
DJMark 7:21 AM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
Rane fix your damn code.

You seem to be a little confused about who does what...
DJ Remy USA 11:05 AM - 18 September, 2013
Im not saying that you library isnt organized. I had 50k library sometime ago when I actually went through it I had tons of dups and some files were just bad audio quality. Thats why I said imagine I wasnt making a definitive statement saying that your library was in disarray but lets be honest with that many files and human error your bound to have dups and some files with less than stellar audio quality. The size of the library is not a issue with me but Ive trimmed my library down over the years I just dont have a chance to play that much music.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:46 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
some of y'all seem more entitled that the request princesses at clubs...

It's crazy yo.
DJ GOOK 1:07 PM - 18 September, 2013
I hate when a DJ says i have 50k songs but play the same ish over and over again at the same party.
djcrap 1:49 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
The problem with video implimentation at setato is the only person who knew what he was doin started his own damn company lol

and the other person( Nathan) who could keep up with him said foh am out!!! which leaves ?
the_black_one 3:01 PM - 18 September, 2013
Nathan and I forget his name (dude that starter inklen)

NM NH
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:03 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Nathan and I forget his name (dude that starter inklen)

NM NH

Nick
mud_mouthed 5:57 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Rane fix your damn code.

You seem to be a little confused about who does what...

aaahha yeah...had to look that up. All these years I thought Rane had a bigger hand in Serato then just distribution, licensing, and hardware implementation.

edit: Serato fix your damn code
DJ TooHypE 7:45 PM - 23 January, 2014
My Gripe there's no (The Bridge) and Pioneer CDJ-400 Support for them either!! Totally invested in Serato so I can use (The Bridge) for one!! and second use them with my current CDJ-400's!! Seriously!! have till next year too use my setup!! that's mess up!! =/
DJ TooHypE 7:46 PM - 23 January, 2014
Talking bout MIDI/HID Support for the CDJ-400's So I am unable too configure 3 MIDI buttons BUBBLE/JET - TRANS/ROLL - WAH/WAH that's available too assign just like in ScratchLive.
Shawn 8:20 PM - 30 June, 2015
For all DJ who are knocking other DJ's for having extensive music libraries you must be DJ's who don't work a lot in the Industry or you don't have access to music in order to broaden your library. As a DJ who works a ton in this business I love my extended library I love being able to have 99% of music that is ask for by clients and guest at events that's why i work so much in this business because i am accommodating and i have various genre's of music. For anyone who has a problem with someone having an extended library it just goes to show how professional you are because a true professional would not have a problem at all
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:47 PM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
For all DJ who are knocking other DJ's for having extensive music libraries you must be DJ's who don't work a lot in the Industry or you don't have access to music in order to broaden your library. As a DJ who works a ton in this business I love my extended library I love being able to have 99% of music that is ask for by clients and guest at events that's why i work so much in this business because i am a jukebox and i have various genre's of music and change for a dolllar. For anyone who has a problem with someone having an extended library it just goes to show how professional you are because a true professional would not have a problem at all

Cool story bro
 6 9:20 PM - 30 June, 2015
lol
d:raf 9:24 PM - 30 June, 2015
Quote:
For all DJ who are knocking other DJ's for having extensive music libraries you must be DJ's who don't work a lot in the Industry or you don't have access to music in order to broaden your library. As a DJ who works a ton in this business I love my extended library I love being able to have 99% of music that is ask for by clients and guest at events that's why i work so much in this business because i am accommodating and i have various genre's of music. For anyone who has a problem with someone having an extended library it just goes to show how professional you are because a true professional would not have a problem at all

Do you have this one? Judging from your post it looks like it might be missing.

i.ytimg.com
Chrisjin 1:14 PM - 1 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
For all DJ who are knocking other DJ's for having extensive music libraries you must be DJ's who don't work a lot in the Industry or you don't have access to music in order to broaden your library. As a DJ who works a ton in this business I love my extended library I love being able to have 99% of music that is ask for by clients and guest at events that's why i work so much in this business because i am a jukebox and i have various genre's of music and change for a dolllar. For anyone who has a problem with someone having an extended library it just goes to show how professional you are because a true professional would not have a problem at all

Cool story bro

^ yeah, what he said