Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ > CDJ-2000 Nexus

deejdave 7:31 AM - 7 September, 2013
Does Serato DJ compatible in Feb. 2014 mean i can use the CDJ-2000 Nexus' as SDJ soundcards thus will not HAVE to purchase the DJM-900SRT or does this literally mean it is the ONLY HID device planned so far?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:12 AM - 7 September, 2013
Hey deejdave,

The CDJ-2000nexus will be supported as a HID device only in Serato DJ. You will still need to use it with supported Serato DJ hardware.

Cheers,
Michael.
deejdave 9:16 AM - 7 September, 2013
Thanks for that I have many others here waiting on this answer and I'll spread the word. If you could answer one more and I'll understand if you can not be 100% thorough. Will any of the other existing CDJ's be added to the Serato DJ HID hardware ist? Specifically the CDJ-2000 MK1. Again I have the Nexus' so it does not really matter for me but others brought this up to me.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:13 AM - 7 September, 2013
Support for the CDJ-2000 will happen, but no ETA yet sorry!
deejdave 2:37 PM - 7 September, 2013
Thanks again.
nickythedj 10:35 PM - 7 September, 2013
I bought CDJ 2000 for $4000 and did not know that nexus was going to release and I have SL3 thats a past story now No support for the CDJ 2000
And I have the djm 900 $2000 and I bought that SLV and I dont use it because ME is Better
WTF
So if I upgrade to the CDJ 2000 Nexus $4000 and get the new djm 900 $2200
As a customer of Searto I have a huge headach over all this can you please inform your customers what is going to coming out in the future not all of us DJ's are not made of money
deejdave 1:06 AM - 8 September, 2013
I feel for Serato when this sort of thing happens. I am not sure how you got It's not gonna happen out of "Support for the CDJ-2000 will happen" which is word for word what he said. Furthermore you may be barking up the wrong tree being EVERY piece you described there is made by Pioneer not Serato. LAstly you said you have the SL3 so why exactly do you need to purchase the SRT? You are one of the lucky ones who WILL be able to take advantage of this free of charge.
nickythedj 12:19 PM - 8 September, 2013
I'm so happy your the spokes person for Searto
I FEEL so much better
GoHoos 4:34 PM - 8 September, 2013
So if I'm not mistaken, by next Feb, my set up including a Rane 68 and (2) CDJ-2000nexus will be fully supported by Serato DJ?

Will support for the CDJs be better than the current HID "support" in SSL?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:14 PM - 8 September, 2013
Hey nickythedj,
Quote:
I bought CDJ 2000 for $4000 and did not know that nexus was going to release and I have SL3 thats a past story now No support for the CDJ 2000
And I have the djm 900 $2000 and I bought that SLV and I dont use it because ME is Better

You will be able to use your SL3 with Serato DJ, so you can still connect that to your DJM-900. Eventually there should be support for the CDJ-2000 too, so you'll be able to use all your gear with Serato DJ without having to buy anything extra :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:16 PM - 8 September, 2013
Hey GoHoos,

Quote:
So if I'm not mistaken, by next Feb, my set up including a Rane 68 and (2) CDJ-2000nexus will be fully supported by Serato DJ?

That is correct!

Quote:
Will support for the CDJs be better than the current HID "support" in SSL?

Serato DJ is able to make use of some of the controls on the CDJ-2000nexus that Scratch Live was not able to, such as the Sync buttom.
Paco71 10:42 PM - 8 September, 2013
I'm a Little off topic, but Michael is the HID compatibility will be available for the CDJ-900 in Serato DJ ?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:50 PM - 8 September, 2013
Hey Paco71,

I'm afraid there's no update on the CDJ-900 yet, sorry!

Cheers,
Michael.
Solidsnake 10:56 PM - 8 September, 2013
How will Serato DJ's HID mode work? Would you need one of the DVS devices to set it up, or could you have a DDJ-SX and 2 CDJ-2K Nexus units in HID mode controlling the second 2 decks. Or will you need a SL4 setup as well?
Paco71 11:04 PM - 8 September, 2013
Ok So i need to buy a CDJ-200 Nexus which cost a loooot, to have HID support ?
Where I had it on Scratch Live ?

Jesus...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:16 PM - 8 September, 2013
Hey Paco71,

As I said, there's currently no update sorry. That doesn't mean it won't happen, it also doesn't mean that it will. I'd say keep using your CDJ-900s and wait for future support announcements before going and buying any new gear.

Of course it will continure to work in Scratch Live as it always has :D

Cheers,
Michael.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:19 PM - 8 September, 2013
Hey Solidsnake,

Quote:
How will Serato DJ's HID mode work? Would you need one of the DVS devices to set it up, or could you have a DDJ-SX and 2 CDJ-2K Nexus units in HID mode controlling the second 2 decks. Or will you need a SL4 setup as well?

You will need supported Serato DJ hardware connected, but it doesn't have to be a DVS mixer or soundcard.
Paco71 11:26 PM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
Hey Paco71,

As I said, there's currently no update sorry. That doesn't mean it won't happen, it also doesn't mean that it will. I'd say keep using your CDJ-900s and wait for future support announcements before going and buying any new gear.

Of course it will continure to work in Scratch Live as it always has :D

Cheers,
Michael.

Sure I'll wait...
Fortunatelly I've a DDJ-SX too so I can use Serato Dj anyway ;-)
But I like also My CDJ-900s lol...
Paco71 11:27 PM - 8 September, 2013
Oh thanks Michael ;-)

P.S : When the Edit mode will be available ? it's a pain when we want to modify our post ;-)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:32 PM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
Oh thanks Michael ;-)

P.S : When the Edit mode will be available ? it's a pain when we want to modify our post ;-)

I think that request has been going on since 2004 LOL
good luck!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:46 PM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:

2032 :P
deejdave 2:33 AM - 9 September, 2013
Hahaha Sounds about right, Not for nothing every minute spent fixing forum could be spent on the software that drives these forums. Probably not the same dept. but a dime is a dime no matter who spends it.

Quote:
Hey Solidsnake,

Quote:

You will need supported Serato DJ hardware connected, but it doesn't have to be a DVS mixer or soundcard.

This brings up another equally important question that was raised by others to me (God forbid we try to help each other here). This one's a BIGGIE and I hope you can answer. The topic being Turntables non HID CDJ's. Can you hook up a TT or CDJ using time code to the DDJ-SX and use the SX as the soundcard? I have a copy of the service manual and looking at the block diagram schematics and it just does not seem possible without modifying (I'm not suggesting to modify anything BTW) the controller.

So YES in a nut shell will you be able to use TT's (with timecode) to control ANY decks using DDJ-SX alone? Obviously this can be done elsewhere and I am not comparing anything (especially since I hate them) just curious being this could be my answer.

BIG THANKS TO MICHAEL R for being so active in a time that is so crucial. These past few days have been huge for you guys and forums aside the DJ world is abuzz with the huge news. Someone here joked "this should have been front page of New York Times" which is an exaggeration ............................... but not much of one.

This Merger/demise depends on which way you look at it will impact so many DJ's and when a software has been in your life for so long (literally 4 DJ setups & 5 dif Laptops) it actually becomes part of your life. For a time I was lost while waiting on the CDJ 2000 Nexus HID and things were not the same. I knew you guys would rectify that situation and I know any/all speed bumps and/or rocky roads will be taken care of in the long run. I've gotta say the release video seemed very tailored toward every user - New/old, hobbyist/pro, purist/techy alike; we all were "spoken to" and the very vocal & informative approach that is being taken this very moment is exactly what is needed at this crucial moment. This is EXACTLY what we have been asking for. We will follow you pretty much wherever you are going regardless.................. but it's nice to know where we are going.

Keep on keep'n on!!!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:51 AM - 11 September, 2013
Thanks for the kind words :D It has been a pretty crazy time for us, and I can only imagine how it feels for all the users out there. Probably equal parts scary and exciting...

Quote:
So YES in a nut shell will you be able to use TT's (with timecode) to control ANY decks using DDJ-SX alone? Obviously this can be done elsewhere and I am not comparing anything (especially since I hate them) just curious being this could be my answer.

Serato DJ doesn't offer DVS support for controllers I'm afraid. Possibly one day, but for now this will only be supported with the new Rane and Pioneer mixers.

Cheers.
WarpNote 11:29 AM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Serato DJ doesn't offer DVS support for controllers I'm afraid. Possibly one day, but for now this will only be supported with the new Rane and Pioneer mixers.
Thanks for clearing that up Michael R!

I've got the DDJ-SX and the SL4. With SDJ 1.6 (or later), would I be able to hook both?
Ie, SL4 as a Soundcard/DVS, and the DDJ-SX as a control surface.
In other words, have the DDJ-SX function as both a stand-alone analog mixer,
and as a controller for platter/pitch/cues,/loops/slicer/internal FX ?

Would be greatful for an answer here, trying to balance what gear I eventually will get.
Will most likely get 62/64/900srt, and likely 2 different mixers at that...

Thanks Warp.
Mr Wilks 8:03 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up Michael R!

I've got the DDJ-SX and the SL4. With SDJ 1.6 (or later), would I be able to hook both?

Would be greatful for an answer here, trying to balance what gear I eventually will get.

Will most likely get 62/64/900srt, and likely 2 different mixers at that...

Thanks Warp.

I was going to ask this very question the other day as I want to use Twitch and the SL3 DVS in DJ so want it to work as it does in Scratch Live now and the Twitch show up as a MIDI device in SDJ.
The Twitch is used to control Serato Video and to fire off cues and loops in Scratch Live as it's a great MIDI controller.

I know you can only use one soundcard at once with SDJ but I want to be able to choose which one it uses on start up (i.e to ignore the Twitch and use the SL3).

I don't want SDJ to get confused on routing the audio and reject one of the devices so we should have a option box pop up only when two approved devices are connected at the same time and we choose which one to route the output to.

Saying that, you've probably thought of this anyway...
deejdave 5:13 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words :D It has been a pretty crazy time for us, and I can only imagine how it feels for all the users out there. Probably equal parts scary and exciting...

Mostly exciting. You guys are helping in fueling that excitement. Don't know 100% what I am going to do in terms of options but now more than usual I feel entirely comfortable now that Serato will be "all hands on decks" with Serato DJ. I am now in the position of deciding to go with DDJ-SX and the CDJ-2000 Nexus' or making the DJM-900SRT purchase used with the Nexus' and the DDJ-SX as the midi controller ORRRRR going all out and purchasing both the SRT & the SP1 to be used with the Nexus'.................... DECISIONS!!! But I am sure in the end it will be win/win. Thanks again.
Daniel Ventura 7:47 AM - 12 September, 2013
so it isn't possible to use the cdj 2000/nxs with it's real nice build in soundcards in serato dj???
deejdave 7:52 AM - 12 September, 2013
Not using the built in soundcards no. You have to use a Serato DJ enabled controller or controller then use the HID. Come to think of it you don't need to plug in RCA's to the unit so using HID should still be possible when using the new DDJ-SR SHOULD be possible. I wish I could edit that but uhhhhhh............................... yeah. I guess in October we will know way more than we do as of this moment but @ Daniel Ventura the Nexus sound card thing was a confirmed impossibility. sorry.
WarpNote 8:05 AM - 12 September, 2013
I guess we'll have to wait for the CDJ2000SRT then? ;-)
Think about it, a dual layered CDJ like the Numark V7 for SDJ, I would buy one.
I know nothing more than you guys, but It would surely be tempting IMO.
Daniel Ventura 8:09 AM - 12 September, 2013
lol, nothing changed.... in every Club you find cdjs and a djm 900 Nexus, and serato is still not able to use use the asio Standard to get the internal soundcards of the cdjs working???
the same wire chaos like ssl with sdjs? come on.... i'll bet they carry the skipping bug over to sdj :-D
deejdave 8:17 AM - 12 September, 2013
If Pioneer just gave an open concept, prototype thought up by the users it could prove to be legendary. They already have the community base needed. There are plenty that are quick to call fanboy & "victim of marketing" but god knows the majority of Pioneer haters think these things up simply because they need to make themselves feel better but let's be honest here: The majority of DJ's that are changing the scene or simply holding it down utilize pioneer CDJ's for a reason. Now if they would take the input gathered from its users then team up with Serato to make the ideas come to life (and I mean TEAM UP so the units are seamless) I don't think there is a DJ alive (who uses Serato at least) who would not purchase or at the very least want them.

Simply put we know what works, we know what we need, we know what we would buy. How could this concept do anything but help both the manufacturers and use the end users at the same time?
WarpNote 8:19 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Opps, no, I would buy 2....
deejdave 8:20 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
lol, nothing changed.... in every Club you find cdjs and a djm 900 Nexus, and serato is still not able to use use the asio Standard to get the internal soundcards of the cdjs working???
the same wire chaos like ssl with sdjs? come on.... i'll bet they carry the skipping bug over to sdj :-D

True but there is one major advantage (IMO at least) coming our way. We will be able to plug our Nexus's in by USB only along with the DDJ-SX (for example) by USB only and have that system work whie essentially having 4 fully controllable decks with no extra wiring. Just power & USB which is the same exact wiring you would use with the ASIO option. not making excuses as using the amazing sound cards in the nexus's would be fantastic just saying there is some sort of light heading our way.
deejdave 8:24 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Opps, no, I would buy 2....

As would I. Purchase two and have control of four. Ideal in many ways. Just one idea to be added to "the ultimate CDJ" Now THIS could be called the CDJ-ZERO
TelosHedge 9:19 AM - 12 September, 2013
if serato dj launches with the DVS system in mind without the supporting the CDJ900s pioneer is going to be losing a lot of fans - including me, and i think i've paid their electric bill a few times over by now.

i dont see what the major difference in architecture is between them, the 2000s, and the new nexus in regards to mere midi/hid control. i would see that as a blatant stab to make you buy the new players, which are way overpriced, and for the serato users, nothing more than controllers for the software.

i reiterate - that would be VERY UNWISE, pioneer/serato.
Daniel Ventura 9:23 AM - 12 September, 2013
thei weren't able to do a proper hid implementation on the cdjs for years now... what do you expect? :-)
TelosHedge 9:34 AM - 12 September, 2013
it's all nonsense.

my cdj-1000s were it for me for YEARS. i would still be on them if i hadn't run them into the ground beyond repair. totally fine, they paid their dues and were worth every penny. when one of them finally gave out, i had no qualms at all about it. i used them for 8 years, and something close to 1500 parties.

that being said, i realize times change. hardware gets upgraded. new features become available. you have to move with the times.

but this whole planned obsolescence thing is driving me insane. i just got into cdj900s last year and now they're not going to be supported? sure, i can go back to timecode and wait for somebody to flip the on switch on cdj 900 hid mode, but wasn't that why i bought the things in the first place? we pay all this money (major money, i might add) and don't even have access to features that the units promise, only to be forgotten about as soon as possible in favor of the next unit that costs a thousand dollars more and has one more button on it.

call me a whiner if you want, but it's really just not right, and every year it gets a little bit more blatantly obvious.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:05 AM - 12 September, 2013
Hey WarpNote,

Quote:

Not yet, but it is something we've been thinking about. You will however be able to use supported Serato DJ controllers with the forthcoming OSA's we are supporting (Pioneer CDJ-2000nexus and Novation Dicers).
WarpNote 11:36 AM - 12 September, 2013
Cool, thanks for clearing up once again Michael!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:39 AM - 12 September, 2013
No worries :D

I'm happy to answer your questions, although some times I may disappear for a few days. Sometimes work and life get in the way of the forum ;)
dj-freestyle 4:07 PM - 12 September, 2013
If i could hook up my sl3 and ddj and have one of 1200 next to my ddj i would be a happy camper. seems logical to me that it wouldnt be that tough to do.
deejdave 6:30 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
If i could hook up my sl3 and ddj and have one of 1200 next to my ddj i would be a happy camper. seems logical to me that it wouldnt be that tough to do.

Except fr the fact that you can only have one soundcard hooked up to Serato any given laptop.
dj-freestyle 6:38 PM - 12 September, 2013
ive had sxcratch live and serato dj running as same time with 2 different soundscards so thats not true.
deejdave 6:42 PM - 12 September, 2013
Two different programs aren't they? Have you had two soundcards running on SSL or two different controllers running Serato DJ? VERY TRUE
TelosHedge 9:59 PM - 12 September, 2013
should work in theory, you'd need a decent amount of memory to do it safely though.
Zeroaccess 10:24 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
it's all nonsense.

my cdj-1000s were it for me for YEARS. i would still be on them if i hadn't run them into the ground beyond repair. totally fine, they paid their dues and were worth every penny. when one of them finally gave out, i had no qualms at all about it. i used them for 8 years, and something close to 1500 parties.

that being said, i realize times change. hardware gets upgraded. new features become available. you have to move with the times.

but this whole planned obsolescence thing is driving me insane. i just got into cdj900s last year and now they're not going to be supported? sure, i can go back to timecode and wait for somebody to flip the on switch on cdj 900 hid mode, but wasn't that why i bought the things in the first place? we pay all this money (major money, i might add) and don't even have access to features that the units promise, only to be forgotten about as soon as possible in favor of the next unit that costs a thousand dollars more and has one more button on it.

call me a whiner if you want, but it's really just not right, and every year it gets a little bit more blatantly obvious.

Pioneer reminds me of Apple. The reason they can get away with it is because no one can put out a directly competitive product. Sure there are controllers but until a brand can "break the glass ceiling" we will continue to see the same from Pioneer.
TelosHedge 10:41 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
[
Pioneer reminds me of Apple. The reason they can get away with it is because no one can put out a directly competitive product. Sure there are controllers but until a brand can "break the glass ceiling" we will continue to see the same from Pioneer.

you are unfortunately right. my stuff works well, though there are glitches that shouldn't exist.

i've just been noticing a slippery slope lately of unimplemented features that don't exist, only to show up in a new unit the year after that looks almost the same as the old one! CDJ2000s, the 900 mixer, now the DDJ SX, etc etc.

if they dont support the 900s for HID mode (and the 850s while we're at it) i'm going back to my turntables for good.
deejdave 6:22 AM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
[

you are unfortunately right. my stuff works well, though there are glitches that shouldn't exist.

i've just been noticing a slippery slope lately of unimplemented features that don't exist, only to show up in a new unit the year after that looks almost the same as the old one! CDJ2000s, the 900 mixer, now the DDJ SX, etc etc.

Although you are correct about your views on Pioneer just keep in mind it is Serato that has the say in whether they will support the 900's/850's. Pioneer has done their part (with that) and it's up to Serato to do the rest.

if they dont support the 900s for HID mode (and the 850s while we're at it) i'm going back to my turntables for good.
Zeroaccess 8:50 AM - 13 September, 2013
Due to the fact Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus costing upwards $2,000 a piece and they come out with new products often, I decided to stick with my Technics MK5s.

At the same time, due to the unreliability of Serato and DJing software as a whole I decided to purchase a Pioneer DJM 2000 Nexus for the on board effects. My thinking is the less demand I place on the software, the less likely I'll run into potential problems in mid set.

I'm not disgruntled about Pioneer, I knew what I was buying before I did but it is a little disappointing how much new software/gear is lacking in reliability and in features. Ever new innovation that is implemented comes with a whole new bag of unknown bugs that the developers over looked.

But I digress, the only company I know that seems to care about their customers has to be Rane. How often does Rane come out with new mixers? I'm done with my rant!
TelosHedge 2:10 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:

But I digress, the only company I know that seems to care about their customers has to be Rane. How often does Rane come out with new mixers? I'm done with my rant!

you know what? you're right. all the usb 2.0 boxes are still supported, when new mixers show up they don't phase out the ones they are similar to, and i've never had a single glitch with any rane hardware that i can think of. those i know who have, dealt with rane and they made sure they were up and running by the next weekend.
TelosHedge 2:23 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
Although you are correct about your views on Pioneer just keep in mind it is Serato that has the say in whether they will support the 900's/850's. Pioneer has done their part (with that) and it's up to Serato to do the rest.

at the end of the day serato can support or not support anything they choose. however, i find it a little too convenient that they would choose to only support the new players as opposed to the older ones, which to me dont seem to be very different in terms of architecture. sounds like a business deal to me more than anything.
deejdave 3:21 PM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

at the end of the day serato can support or not support anything they choose. however, i find it a little too convenient that they would choose to only support the new players as opposed to the older ones, which to me dont seem to be very different in terms of architecture. sounds like a business deal to me more than anything.

Speculation yes. Could be. There is one strong fact opposing that though. The fact is that people will opt for a controller way before they consider purchasing a new CDJ. Also there are other factors here. They are releasing the SRT which is in build almost identical to the Nexus. The only player to take advantage of the nexus features are the 2000 nexus's. I mean they seem similar in build is very different than they are very different in build. Look at their block diagram specs It does seem that adding the 350, 850, & 900's is absolutely possible it still leave room for them being sub par software & firmware wise. I will say the Nexus is FAR superior in many more ways than what can be seen by the naked eye. As far as Rne Vs. Pioneer. Pioneer has the superior product (IMO at least based on features & functions) but Rane has the support. If Pioneer would only stand behind their releases & make sure they work as intended (for all) things would be different and the trust that was gained by the CDJ-1000's would come streaming back. The problem is since SYNC and controllers "DJs" are popping up every day and there is no reason they wouldnt see that and jump on it ASAP to boost sales. The Pro's lose out in this equation.
TelosHedge 6:04 PM - 13 September, 2013
[QUOTE]The only player to take advantage of the nexus features are the 2000 nexus's.[/QUOTE]

not sure that's true, unless i'm missing something in the feature set. the nexus mixer will match beatgrid/tempo information from the players with the onboard effects at the mixer. my cdj900s work alongside of the nexus mixer to do this, provided i run a router and do the ethernet cable thing. i have done this succesfully, and was pretty annoyed last year that serato wouldn't also jump on board with this idea. seems all the information is already there. i thought that was the whole point of the 'nexus' system - the tempo syncing digitally rather than relying on the standard pioneer way of listening to the track to decide the tempo.

did i miss something else in the feature list? the SYNC thing is a player side only feature, and even that is not necessary if SDJ will be doing all the work of that. the only advantage to owning a 2000 nexus over a 2000mk1/900/850 is the actual button that would be available to you to turn SYNC on and off. of course i'm omitting the hot cue buttons and the pretty screen as well but that's all old news so i'm not going to bother. :)
deejdave 10:26 PM - 18 September, 2013
The 900's are (up to a point) compatible & useful with the "Pro DJ Link" but the larger features get lost. The Quantize, Master, Sync, Wireless, etc. are lost. I guess in all fairness the "Nexus" features are pretty undefined but those are what I was talking about mostly. The Quantize & SYNC being the largest being that is essentially what will be a make/break factor in implementation of units. The SYNC for obvious reasons but the Quantize for the great news that beat grid info (quantized info) will be transmitted to the mixer via SDJ and the FX will be SYNCED accordingly. Pioneers FX that is!!! I mean this is huge!! Pioner already had the edge over Rane (IMO) but now this puts them on a totally different level.
nik39 11:13 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
beat grid info (quantized info) will be transmitted to the mixer via SDJ and the FX will be SYNCED accordingly. Pioneers FX that is!!! I mean this is huge!! Pioner already had the edge over Rane (IMO) but now this puts them on a totally different level.

For real?

BPM synced effects, that's what the Rane 57 was able to do... That was 2007! All Rane+Serato mixers can do this.
deejdave 11:13 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
it's all nonsense.

Doesn't this make you wonder things though? I mean competition only benefits the end user as opposed to hurting them. One would think as a competitor of Pioneer a company would have every reason to come up with something comparable. There are problems that arise though. As we all know there are some of those that are quick to call out Pioneer for not being what they used to be and a joke as of late. Here are the problems with that thinking.

ALTERNATIVES - Not one person is able to come up with a direct alternative of equal caliber. There is a reason for this. Opinions aside there is no product that even comes close. The ONLY manufacturer to even skim the surface of what Pioneer does is Denon. They do not have enough support (their own or third party) nor do they have the dependability. There are individual success/love stories but as a whole they leave much to be desired.

TECHNOLOGY - The technology is just changing too quickly. EVERYONE yells at Pioneer for changing their "flagship" model too quickly but what are the options?
1.) Ignoring them - Sure Pioneer can see the new tech and simply say "we're good where we are. This would in turn create an uproar
2.) Changing with the times - adding what they can via firmware updating units accordingly for what they can't add via firmware (this is what they do BTW)
3.) Predicting the future - By far the best option but for some reason does not seem very feasible.

FINANCES - The price of the Pioneer gear is pretty high and everyone complains about it. Does anyone ever wonder if there is a relationship between features & technology with pricing? Maybe there is a reason every charges less? I mean the fact that there are no companies increasing prices should simply spell out why there is no direct competition for Pioneer. Simply TRYING to create a product the compares to Pioneer is reason enough for a manufacturer to raise prices due to R&D costs. There is a simple question one must ask themselves to realize what's going on here. If there is such a need/want for a NEW (comparable) alternative to Pioneer why wouldn't someone create it? I mean there is a guaranteed fortune to be made right? WRONG!!

Innovation is a dangerous concept. Something innovative means different NOT necessarily GOOD or useful and above all means in no way that it will be reliable. Technology in itself is dangerous as well. Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD. Look at SYNC by itself. It is a tool that definitely simplifies things & makes things more "perfect". The only problem is things are not necessarily supposed to be perfect. The "Human" factor is completely lost. I won't go into the SYNC debate but you all know what it is and what has been said in the past. Coming back to present times SYNC is pretty much a standard.

Lastly keep in mind one thing when "calling out" these companies. There is a huge difference in Serato & Pioneer. Above the guy is questioning his Pioneer purchase. Pioneer has done E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G they can for the 900's HID features. It is then 100% up to Serato what will/won't be supported either at the time of release, feb 2014, or any other time for that matter. The next guy gets it wrong though. Why would we hold this against Pioneer then? Serato is the one you should be asking about it and no matter what Pioneer says/does this fact remains true.
deejdave 11:13 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
it's all nonsense.

Doesn't this make you wonder things though? I mean competition only benefits the end user as opposed to hurting them. One would think as a competitor of Pioneer a company would have every reason to come up with something comparable. There are problems that arise though. As we all know there are some of those that are quick to call out Pioneer for not being what they used to be and a joke as of late. Here are the problems with that thinking.

ALTERNATIVES - Not one person is able to come up with a direct alternative of equal caliber. There is a reason for this. Opinions aside there is no product that even comes close. The ONLY manufacturer to even skim the surface of what Pioneer does is Denon. They do not have enough support (their own or third party) nor do they have the dependability. There are individual success/love stories but as a whole they leave much to be desired.

TECHNOLOGY - The technology is just changing too quickly. EVERYONE yells at Pioneer for changing their "flagship" model too quickly but what are the options?
1.) Ignoring them - Sure Pioneer can see the new tech and simply say "we're good where we are. This would in turn create an uproar
2.) Changing with the times - adding what they can via firmware updating units accordingly for what they can't add via firmware (this is what they do BTW)
3.) Predicting the future - By far the best option but for some reason does not seem very feasible.

FINANCES - The price of the Pioneer gear is pretty high and everyone complains about it. Does anyone ever wonder if there is a relationship between features & technology with pricing? Maybe there is a reason every charges less? I mean the fact that there are no companies increasing prices should simply spell out why there is no direct competition for Pioneer. Simply TRYING to create a product the compares to Pioneer is reason enough for a manufacturer to raise prices due to R&D costs. There is a simple question one must ask themselves to realize what's going on here. If there is such a need/want for a NEW (comparable) alternative to Pioneer why wouldn't someone create it? I mean there is a guaranteed fortune to be made right? WRONG!!

Innovation is a dangerous concept. Something innovative means different NOT necessarily GOOD or useful and above all means in no way that it will be reliable. Technology in itself is dangerous as well. Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD. Look at SYNC by itself. It is a tool that definitely simplifies things & makes things more "perfect". The only problem is things are not necessarily supposed to be perfect. The "Human" factor is completely lost. I won't go into the SYNC debate but you all know what it is and what has been said in the past. Coming back to present times SYNC is pretty much a standard.

Lastly keep in mind one thing when "calling out" these companies. There is a huge difference in Serato & Pioneer. Above the guy is questioning his Pioneer purchase. Pioneer has done E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G they can for the 900's HID features. It is then 100% up to Serato what will/won't be supported either at the time of release, feb 2014, or any other time for that matter. The next guy gets it wrong though. Why would we hold this against Pioneer then? Serato is the one you should be asking about it and no matter what Pioneer says/does this fact remains true.
nik39 11:14 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
beat grid info (quantized info) will be transmitted to the mixer via SDJ and the FX will be SYNCED accordingly. Pioneers FX that is!!! I mean this is huge!! Pioner already had the edge over Rane (IMO) but now this puts them on a totally different level.

For real?

BPM synced effects, that's what the Rane 57 was able to do... That was 2007! All Rane+Serato mixers can do this.
deejdave 11:16 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

For real?

Understood. and like I said (I-M-O) Pioneer had the better FX before and now it SHOULD be no competition.
TelosHedge 3:09 AM - 19 September, 2013
my 900s sync tempo and beat grid information with my mixer, so thats not just a 2000nexus feature. im missing a sync button, a bigger screen, wifi, and cuepoints - all the things im missing off the nexus player are essentially things that serato does on its own - i dont need duplicates of features in hardware i'll never use because it's in the software. there is NO NEED for pio's sync technology if i'm using serato - i only need the button to turn it or off - or i'll just map it to another midi controller.

the problem i have with pioneer is not their ever-evolving product - it's that they keep coming up with shit that nobody really asks for, but forces us to buy anyway. we wanted midi support when the cdj2000 came out. instead we got pioneer's computerless system first and midi/hid integration came last, and is still buggy! the nexus added autosync (what cdj guys were asking for this?) that ran off the hardware and their system, which is again useless for serato/traktor/ableton users. we're spending all this money for features we don't need and won't use, only to be left in the dust next year by a new cdj that does even more shit we didn't ask for but feel forced to buy because the older players are no longer supported.

in actuality all i've ever wanted from pioneer was a cdj with a vinyl sized platter and full midi control. thats it. i might be alone on the size part but the full midi support and functionality was on everybody's list for years! instead we get rekordbox and wifi? i personally think RB was a major flop for pio, but then again i'm a mobile dj and the system was not geared towards that side of things.

while i realize serato and pioneer are in fact different companies i can't help but notice that serato is only supporting the most expensive players - the same players that are supposed to make serato's software the least appealing. it makes no sense to me, unless you're talking about some sort of business decision between both companies. i firmly believe that the HID architecture between all the CDJs (400s/850s/900s/2000s/nexus) is similar enough to not have to warrant any issues with the exception of somebody sitting down and making a mapping - but that's already done for the old players anyway! furthermore, why can't we have full control over our players? my cdj900s are billed as full midi controllers - but serato won't let me map anything on them.

i hate to keep beating a dead horse, and i respect everyone's opinions, but i'm still seeing no logic here except for more profit. this is my livelyhood and i can't survive buying flagship gear every year, and believe me i'm no slouch when it comes to updating. if serato dj will allow me to use my cdj 900s in HID mode i will have no further complaints and will have to live with my purchase of buying 'inferior' equipment for the times last year, but i have to draw the line somewhere.
deejdave 5:42 AM - 19 September, 2013
Quote:
my 900s sync tempo and beat grid information with my mixer, so thats not just a 2000nexus feature. im missing a sync button, a bigger screen, wifi, and cuepoints - all the things im missing off the nexus player are essentially things that serato does on its own

By this logic Serato does EVERYTHING the CDJ's do in the entirety so why have any CDJ to begin with? It's all about surface control. As far as the CDJ-900's having SYNC well I had them and mine did not have SYNC. They supported quantization & beat matching but that was as far as they went. Gavin from Pioneer explains it a little better here forums.pioneerdj.com but there is NO SYNC on the CDJ-900's. What you are talking about may be quantize or beat matching. How would it even be possible for the players to have Sync without a button to turn them on?

Quote:
i firmly believe that the HID architecture between all the CDJs (400s/850s/900s/2000s/nexus) is similar enough to not have to warrant any issues with the exception of somebody sitting down and making a mapping

May I ask what has lead you to his firm belief? I mean other than the fact that they all are similar in shape? I mean I can read block diagrams & specs sheets and i am not able to determine this (due to software & chipset limitations). Is there something you know that most do not? I mean you would think if they were that similar it wouldn't have taken Serato as long as they did to support HID for the Nexus players, NO?

I do however share your concerns with hardware although the issue spoken about above your post was all about SDJ implementation and not what you speak of. I have strong fears & hesitation regarding future purchases. I mean I too purchased my "Industry Standard" DJM-900 Nexus only last year and am now looking at the SRT. I also purchased the CDJ-900's 1 1/2 yrs ago which were as you said "inferior" so I purchased the new "industry standard" CDJ-2000 Nexus's. When will it stop? Probably when we stop buying which is never. Although I don't share your wish for a tru-to-vinyl sized platter I can see your idea having its purposes. That is the problem with innovation as I said. Let's say they added this. You would have a horde of people screaming "useless" and "waste" the only difference is you would be on the other side of it.

The thought of Rekordbox was to eliminate the use of Laptop's altogether. In the Pro club arena this is gospel. The only problem is I too agree it was a flop and where does this leave us. A major cause of its flop was lack of support. I would have flipped a f@&k if Pioner had simply decided to stop supporting my Nexus simply because of this flop. I say cut your losses and put your efforts elsewhere. Maybe this is where SDJ steps in? I'd like to think so. I have nothing but hope for a seamless integration with SDJ and am yearning for the day when I can say "This is my setup" not "this is one of my setups" due to keeping my options open out of fear.

I think there is a another issue to be covered as well. EXPECTATIONS. I see this issue come up every day. I myself having the "industry standard" understand the need for the new SRT consider it a blessing that the nexus's are in the plans for SDJ compatibility......... a BLESSING!! The players & the mixer have done EVERYTHING Pioneer has promised they would (for me at least) and will continue to do so forever. So why is it everyone expects EVERYTHING forever? Not so much you Telos as I consider the 900's professional gear but every minute spent adding the CDJ-400's, 350's, 850's, MEP, etc. to the compatible list is minutes spent they could be doing something else. Not only that but the countless hours spent supporting these lower grade players along with their probable inferior laptops etc. (Coincidence? I think not!!) could have been spent elsewhere. The only thing I see wrong with this is............... it was not in the product manual so why is it expected instead of wished for? Maybe it's just me. I just feel too many people want everything for nothing. Let me ask you this? If we feel what's the point of having the control on the CDJ being the software has it & we also assume EVERY cdj should get the HID compatibility what makes my $6500 setup (Nexus & SRT) any different than the $1200 setup next to me. CDJ-350.

I hope I'm not coming off as mean. I am just enjoying a convo with someone who seems to have a head on his shoulders. Don't get me wrong just because I disagree with some of your points DOES NOT mean I don't agree with the big picture. Your concepts have a place in the DJ community (as in you are not the only one who feels that way) and I feel are well thought out. I always speak of Pioneer coming up with a true CDJ-Zero 100% built on ideas direct from its community. Literally a voted feature set that supports all software or "unlocked" as I would call it.
Paco71 9:35 AM - 19 September, 2013
Are you mean that digital deejing is supposed to be a thing for High end gear and High end laptop, so for deejay with money.

I don't think like that.

I thonk that digital Deejing is suppose to be for every one, like CDJ-400's a nd others.
You cannot aks deejay's to change their gear everitime a Software is changing.

By the way I don't have a low end gear, but i'm thinking about them ;-)
deejdave 7:48 PM - 19 September, 2013
Not at all. All the gear I listed SHOULD work as advertised. eg SSL gear working with SSL. Controllers made for SDJ SHOULD work for SDJ with the exception of Itch controllers being they simply cut itch in its infancy. Let's be honest NO ONE purchased a 68 with the intentions of using it with SDJ. To that matter NO ONE purchased a CDJ-2000Nexus with the intent of SDJ either.

What I AM saying is everyone should consider themselves lucky if Serato decides to support any said gear because in reality Serato DOES NOT owe anyone anything. Neither does Pioneer (in this respect as I do know they fault in other areas).

Quote:
I thonk that digital Deejing is suppose to be for every one, like CDJ-400's a nd others.
You cannot aks deejay's to change their gear everitime a Software is changing.

NO ONE is asking them to change anything. As a matter of fact the only one who wants to change there IS the CDJ-400 owner. They can still work seamlessly with SSL but NO they 100% expect to have SDJ under their belt and probably every other Serato product that ever comes out. Where does the responsibility to the consumer end? That is what I am getting at? Just a reminder this IS NOT biased as I also include my coveted nexus's and I (probably one of the few) understand the need to release a new DJM-900 that DOES support this as opposed to expecting my mixer sitting in my living room to get some magical rewiring job on its own and be compatible with SDJ............................ FOR FREE even.
deejdave 7:52 PM - 19 September, 2013
Sorry about the rant and I promise I will try to get back to the positives. Which are............... The CDJ-2000 Nexus WILL be supported in feb 2014. They have stated they will be announcing other models at a later date. The speculation is which ones? The CDJ-2000MK1 is discontinued so what are the thought's there? That leaves the CDJ-900 next in line which IS NOT discontinued and still selling strong. Then there is the 850, 350, & the also discontinued 400 & MEP. I would have to guess the 400 is out but the rest seem like fair game to me.

THE FUTURE WILL TELL!!
deejdave 12:28 AM - 20 September, 2013
Well As I see the 2000 MK1 has been added (as I predicted LOL) which somehow I missed until now. Feb 2014 as well for the MK1's
TelosHedge 3:29 AM - 20 September, 2013
dave, you are easily one of the most eloquent typer/writer/speaker i've had the pleasure of arguing with over the internet in a very very long time. i take absolutely no offense to what you say, and more optimistically, take in everything you say with great consideration that i can be wrong at any time.

i think you and i are talking about different things maybe when we say SYNC. when i say that word, i'm talking about serato's automix capabilities. i do not see this is a player side thing, but a software side. are you talking about syncing up bpm info for things like FX from a mixer? i still think the original 900nexus should have support this with serato from the start. the automixing argument on its own is completely irrelevant at the end of the day for anyway, since i will likely never use it.

as for the HID argument, the argument i can make about the architecture being similar is pretty simple - they always tend to come out with support for all players (or update support) at the same time - up until SDJ. i realize i am basing this on a similar media type of standard, but how different can the same platters and pitch sliders be across 4 different models?

i noticed the same thing happening last year when SDJ showed up - the DDJ SX came with built in support for SDJ, though the old school DDJ-S1 had to wait 6 months until spring. i realize they are different controllers, but i dont think they are that different. the term 'HID' used in all of these devices as i understand it is a bit different from standard MIDI architecture, but i don't think it's worlds and worlds apart, either. i'd be interested in learning more about it altogether since it's going to be here to stay. i'd be very happy to read some literature disproving that HID is not just another buzz word, but i still remain skeptical.

to shed even more light as to another level of anger - if these players are not supported, why not give us some midi control back in the software? dont want to support my players for HID mode? fine. i'll use timecode for the pitch and platter, but give me back my damn buttons. just because you decide not to support the players for your advanced control mode doesn't mean you HAVE to turn off midi support for all the other buttons on my MIDI CONTROLLER - let me do what i wish with them.

these are the things that piss me off. it looks too much like a business decision to make me buy something i dont need for features i was already promised i had last year. i have old midi controllers from guitar gear/studio gear/gear that just doesnt say pioneer on it and i can program them all in serato till i turn purple. why not my cdjs? if i could write a program that somehow changed a hardware ID identifying my cdj900s as something else i'd be a happy guy and you wouldn't hear from me again, but i don't have the knowledge for that. maybe i can look into it!
deejdave 4:08 AM - 20 September, 2013
Quote:
i have old midi controllers from guitar gear/studio gear/gear that just doesnt say pioneer on it and i can program them all in serato till i turn purple. why not my cdjs?

Certainly is frustrating. With the amount of money we spend on Pio gear you would think "freedom" would be one of the features awarded to us. Seems restrictions are issued a little to often.

Quote:
i'd be very happy to read some literature disproving that HID is not just another buzz word, but i still remain skeptical.

As would I. I am not saying you are wrong just curious to your conclusion as it seems to be an educated guess as is mine. I have taken the SX apart and read the block diagram specs. They all lead me to the same issue.................. part numbers!! I can see the wiring configurations and where things lead are what bring on the conclusions with input Vs. outputs but the firmware/software limitations are where I am stumped. As a matter of fact Pioneer aside NO ONE could know. Even if you had the necessary knowledge you would still be at a stand still when it comes time for knowing the code to implement it all. LONG STORY SHORT.................... Pioneer & Serato alike know they can basically use the "Limitations" excuse thrown at one another all day and there is nothing we can do about it. I am not saying they do this but the fact remains that they could. There ARE exceptions where the knowledge is public like the CDJ-2000 Nexus/SSL HID issue) and we knew without a doubt it was in fact Serato holding up the progress. The issue at hand is it DOES seem Pio & Serato are somewhat teaming up and this becomes both great and dangerous at the same time.

Quote:
i think you and i are talking about different things maybe when we say SYNC. when i say that word, i'm talking about serato's automix capabilities. i do not see this is a player side thing, but a software side. are you talking about syncing up bpm info for things like FX from a mixer? i still think the original 900nexus should have support this with serato from the start. the automixing argument on its own is completely irrelevant at the end of the day for anyway, since i will likely never use it.

Strong opinions being opposite on some items yet both agree on this. I WILL NEVER USE IT either. That is technology that takes wayyy to much of the human factor out of the equation. Don't get me wrong I do wish the 900 nexus could be included with SDJ via firmware update but this is one of those areas where I believe they had to go with a new unit. I mean if I EVER find this to be false I will never and I do mean NEVER trust Pioneer (or Serato for that fact) again. I mean I have strong feelings for both Pio & Serato. I borderline sound like a fanboy (the huge difference are there are technical reasons as well as artistic for my opinions) but this would all change in a matter of seconds finding out they could play an evil card such as cheating their consumers out of $2,000 with false information. Bottom line....................... They know they have an incredible product with a strong following and to take advantage of either would be criminal.

I feel like there needs to be a Q&A with a rep from every dept. over at Serato with reps from every manufacturer they deal with present (on call). This could answer many of the questions their beloved community could possibly throw at them without the "you may need to contact (fill in name here) from (fill in developer here) for that answer" or "I will look into it and get back to you". I'm not talking about the "My SL1 is no longer being recognized by my laptop" questions. I'm talkin where is this company headed? Will there be a partnership with Pioneer/Serato? What's going on with Serato/Rane? What can we expect in the near/far future? I mean what I say when speaking of the critical moments happening as we speak. This SSL demise/SDJ merge is one that could make or break Serato as well as decide the top manufacturers of DJ products for quite some time to come. The SSL Era is over and the SDJ era is in its infancy. Let's not have a repeat of Itch. I feel like the slightest sign of that could cause an early bail for many DJ's because many DJ's have not gotten over that................................................ I'll say it one last time, TIME WILL TELL.
deejdave 7:47 PM - 1 October, 2013
Just Used my CDJ-2000 Nexus's with Serato DJ. Will report back later but it seems pretty amazing TBH Now I gotta figure out if I need the SRT at all!!
deejdave 7:59 PM - 1 October, 2013
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:11 PM - 1 October, 2013
Quote:
s401.photobucket.com

Love It!!

Jealous!
DeeJay Staas 10:12 AM - 3 October, 2013
deejdave , how do you connect your cdj-2000 with ddj-sx in HID ?
deejdave 10:41 AM - 3 October, 2013
It's actually VERY simple. You connect DDJ-SX and Both CDJ's via USB. (Must use powered hub if using MacBook Pro) Then you power up your DDJ-SX. Then Power Up your CDJ-2000's. Then you click the "Link" button located to the left of the screen on CDJ's. You select computer then select which deck you want to control. I select decks 1 & 2 on my cdj's then select 3 & 4 on my ddj-sx. DONE!!
mark3motley 3:20 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
It's actually VERY simple. You connect DDJ-SX and Both CDJ's via USB. (Must use powered hub if using MacBook Pro) Then you power up your DDJ-SX. Then Power Up your CDJ-2000's. Then you click the "Link" button located to the left of the screen on CDJ's. You select computer then select which deck you want to control. I select decks 1 & 2 on my cdj's then select 3 & 4 on my ddj-sx. DONE!!

Quote:
Sorry about the rant and I promise I will try to get back to the positives. Which are............... The CDJ-2000 Nexus WILL be supported in feb 2014. They have stated they will be announcing other models at a later date. The speculation is which ones? The CDJ-2000MK1 is discontinued so what are the thought's there? That leaves the CDJ-900 next in line which IS NOT discontinued and still selling strong. Then there is the 850, 350, & the also discontinued 400 & MEP. I would have to guess the 400 is out but the rest seem like fair game to me.

THE FUTURE WILL TELL!!

Wait, CDJ-2000 MK1? Is that just the CDJ-2000? And the Nexus is MK2?

Or are there multiple models of the CDJ-2000?
deejdave 6:16 PM - 23 October, 2013
There is CDJ-2000 (which some call the CDJ-2000MKI) and there is the CDJ-2000Nexus................. just two.
scarboroughwa 4:13 AM - 25 April, 2015
It's April 2015.

When will the djm 2000 Nexus be Serato supported, or will a 2000 SRT be released for the 2000 to be supported later, making the 2000 SRT somewhat obsolete?
phatbob 2:16 PM - 25 April, 2015
Quote:
It's April 2015.

When will the djm 2000 Nexus be Serato supported, or will a 2000 SRT be released for the 2000 to be supported later, making the 2000 SRT somewhat obsolete?

Neither the original DJM-2000 or the Nexus have enough channels on the soundcard to support DVS of any kind.
deejdave 8:52 PM - 25 April, 2015
which is great news. I passed up the DJM-2000 for the SRT and I would not be too happy of an individual if it were to happen. Serato has already stated it won't be so no worries there.
938MyDJ 7:13 AM - 26 April, 2015
Is this firm this time, deejdave?
LOL!
deejdave 4:31 PM - 26 April, 2015
Who knows. Bigger picture I really can't hate anyone for wanting this nor could I really "blame" Serato for supporting but the fact remains they have stated quite a few times it will not be happening. I have no idea if it has anything to do with what Chris just mentioned above though.
phatbob 8:32 PM - 26 April, 2015
Quote:
I have no idea if it has anything to do with what Chris just mentioned above though.

It has to, Dave. I bought a 2000 recently (with Rekordbox the synced FX are just CRAZY), and so I can assure you, the soundcard isn't up to the job. It's 8 out, or 6 out/2 in. Same on the Nexus.

The DJM-2000 & DVS is basically like the original DDJ-SX and DVS; not gonna happen.

Whilst it could potentially get Serato certified for HID use alone, I don't see much demand for that out there.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:35 PM - 26 April, 2015
Quote:

Whilst it could potentially get Serato certified for HID use alone, I don't see much demand for that out there.

I would use it for hid only anyway so if that would work yep thats how i would use it. I don't need the DVS pack for any mixers as use hid.
deejdave 8:35 PM - 26 April, 2015
Quote:
It has to, Dave. I bought a 2000 recently (with Rekordbox the synced FX are just CRAZY), and so I can assure you, the soundcard isn't up to the job. It's 8 out, or 6 out/2 in. Same on the Nexus.

Don't take wrong way. Didn't mean it doesn't make sense. It seems as logical as can be. I was just saying I hadn't heard/realized until you said it is all.
Quote:

Exactly. Could still support the use of Serato and HID. Either way I can;t say I am not relieved that it will not be happening.