Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Petition: NS7 & NS72 Users want "Instant Start" Back

DJGongshow 11:09 AM - 21 August, 2013
+1

This is critical for me, and a decision factor for NS7 II since I'm still bound to ITCH
adigrecu 1:39 PM - 21 August, 2013
+1
After so many SDJ updates, i'm still use Itch because of that !
Panotaker 11:22 AM - 27 August, 2013
I can't believe only 4 of us want this feature back.
DJGongshow 12:13 PM - 27 August, 2013
Note the following in the SDJ1.3 manual under Setup/Braking:

"Adjust to set the start/stop speed when you press the play/pause button. The left most setting is an instant start/stop, the right most setting is a slow turntable style, start up or power down."

On NS7 these knobs are disabled, presumably because there are independent hardware knobs per deck.

I would expect that turning the start time knob to 0 would accomplish instant start as per the manual, and as in ITCH, but unfortunately it does not.

Should this not be a bug?
DJ Shatta! 7:30 PM - 28 November, 2013
I want this feature back as well. ALSO I noticed that the manual breaking knob is way to sensitive in SDJ. it either breaks fast or way slow...
DJGongshow 7:39 PM - 28 November, 2013
Observation on NS7 II with SDJ 1.5.2 is the same or slightly faster start than NS7 with SDJ 1.3, but still not instant as it was in ITCH

Only workaround is to use a cue and then hit play, but for me this not the elegant simplicity we used to have

Serato, please consider bringing instant start option back
DJ1855 4:11 PM - 2 December, 2013
Not having this feature really slows down my thinking and inhibits my creativity. Serato please bring back or fix this feature.
Panotaker 8:46 AM - 17 December, 2013
Add the V7's to the list of decks that don't have instant start under Serato DJ. I just tried it on mine with version 1.6 beta, and they don't have instant start either.
DJGongshow 12:11 PM - 17 December, 2013
Is it too much to ask that position 0 on the start time knobs of NS7 and NS7 II means instant start?

Are Numark owners being penalized for having motorized platters? I quote from the 1.5.2 manual under Braking: "Adjust to set the start/stop speed when you press the play/pause button. The left most setting is an instant start/stop."

Hot sync is still frowned upon and this inexplicable shortcoming forces me to use it frequently where I never needed it before

If not having instant start meant these controllers would start to qualify for Red Bull Thr3style competition I would understand, but presently it's a major pain

Please... just make 0 mean 0!
JBoogz 9:49 PM - 28 December, 2013
Yes. This is very inconvenient. I don't understand why this was removed at all in the first place.
adigrecu 10:37 PM - 28 December, 2013
Jesus Christ !!! Serato, how could you think we can use our controllers (NS7, etc) with this issue ???? This is so embarrassing........we come back in the past ......
DJGongshow 6:27 PM - 8 January, 2014
Would someone from Serato kindly acknowledge this issue?

It's been over 8 months of suffering now for NS7/NS7II owners having to perform instant starts with finger gymnastics and unnecessary sync button abuse.

There are numerous support and feature request threads on this item... I certainly appreciate the features of the new releases but this is a fundamentals gap on two flagship controllers that might be easily resolved by setting the startup time to 0 when the knob is in the 0 position, as per the SDJ manual

Please advise if the request has been rejected.

Thanks for your attention
JBoogz 6:40 PM - 8 January, 2014
The Gong has rung!!! Come on Serato!
Panotaker 7:10 PM - 8 January, 2014
The best thing you can do is bitch about it on the Numark forum, not on the Serato forum, so people will stop buying them or start taking them back and getting their money back. The fastest way to fix the problem is to hit them in the pocket book. Serato already knows they have a problem with it, but it doesn't look like they are in a big hurry to fix it. Not until Numark tells them that they are losing sales. From looking at the replies from the Numark reps, I don't even think that they know that there is a problem with it.
DJ Enc3phalon 12:59 PM - 11 January, 2014
Just got the NS7 ii and also find the traditional vinyl start irritating as well. This is limiting the overall versitality of Serato DJ. For people who prefer a traditional turntable start, they have the start time and stop time knobs to attain this. However, people who want an immediate start are unnecessarily forced to settle with the turntable start. I've noticed that this also breaks the smart sync feature of ur software. With any other controller when using the smart sync feature, when you hit the play button, the song snaps to the beat grid of the other song playing. With the NS7 ii, this is not possible. This can be considered a bug.

It would be nice if one of the moderators would get back to these nice people who have been patiently waiting for this issue to be resolved. After all, the software does not do what it is supposed to with the NS7 and NS7 ii when the smart sync feature is used with the start button. This is definitely a serato issue and not a numark driver problem as from what I gather from the other posts, this problem was not there with Serato Itch when using numark's drivers. As we do not have access to how the software reacts to midi signals sent from the controller unlike other DJ software, we are limited to you fixing it for us.

This really is a shame as otherwise, the software and the NS7 ii compliment each other perfectly.
adigrecu 9:01 PM - 11 January, 2014
Tired to workaround with cue=play.......so embarrasing !!!
DJ Enc3phalon 2:13 PM - 19 January, 2014
Found this in another area of this forum

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One other issue is that there's always a delay when you hit the play button, even if you turn the delay start knob to the lowest position. To get it to start immediately, you always have to hit shift/play.

We are working on this. It currently stays true to the platter and so the start up time is dependent on how fast the motor turns on and winds up to speed (just as you would experience with a turntable). However we are working on a solution which will be like the previously available option of "instant start" that we had for the V7 and NS7 in ITCH.

This was said by Martin C and the link to the thread is serato.com .

Looks like they will be implementing immediate start with motorized platter. We just need to give them some time to sort it out.
DJGongshow 9:40 PM - 20 January, 2014
Thanks Martin C!
Sounds By JB 10:14 PM - 29 January, 2014
+1
DJ Shatta! 8:44 PM - 30 January, 2014
That's great! Don't know how they missed this and why it took so long? They resolved this in ITCH 1.5 way back when...
Papa Midnight 3:56 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

"Adjust to set the start/stop speed when you press the play/pause button. The left most setting is an instant start/stop, the right most setting is a slow turntable style, start up or power down."

On NS7 these knobs are disabled, presumably because there are independent hardware knobs per deck.

I would expect that turning the start time knob to 0 would accomplish instant start as per the manual, and as in ITCH, but unfortunately it does not.

good point

+1
Sounds By JB 7:38 AM - 4 February, 2014
There with 1.6 released (congratz!) please fix these little thingies!
Panotaker 6:00 PM - 4 February, 2014
Well the new version of Itch is out and Instant start and sync still don't work correctly. When the NS73 gets released, you might as well tell Numark not to put a Sync button and play button on them since they don't work correctly.
Sounds By JB 6:07 PM - 4 February, 2014
I wouldn't have thought they would have fixed that in this release.

I'm pretty sure they had a very strict schedule and item list to be able to release in time according to their very public road-map. It would be against any good practice to deviate from this.

I hope their next release will be a maintenance release where all these type of things get addressed.
adigrecu 9:24 PM - 4 February, 2014
Well, because of Serato indifference regarding our wishes, i decided to sell my NS7. Waiting so long for instant play......what a joke !!!
Switch to Traktor.
Adio Serato !
Sounds By JB 9:28 PM - 4 February, 2014
Well that's slightly harsh.. there are several good workarounds so its not unusable.. A slight annoyance that needs to be fixed for sure.. that I agree on.
Papa Midnight 11:09 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Well, because of Serato indifference regarding our wishes, i decided to sell my NS7. Waiting so long for instant play......what a joke !!!
Switch to Traktor.
Adio Serato !

See you in a few months. :|
DJ Enc3phalon 11:22 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
See you in a few months. :|

Damn it Papa, Ur post should have come with a health warning, Nearly choked on a bacon sani when I read it. Started laughing and the next thing u know it, the fat part got entangled with the dangling thingamy at the back of ur throat. I think I will live this time round and I know, I know, I shouldn't be wolfing down a sandwitch at this time of night, but hey, I was really craving for bacon. :(
DJ HFX 12:14 AM - 18 April, 2014
I Just Bought the NS7 2 and because it came with Serato I figured I would give it a try. I have been a virtual dj user for the bast 7 years. When using Serato the Deck has a delayed start but when using Virtual dj It has an instant start. So it is not a hardware problem. Maybe Numark should bundle it with Virtual DJ seems it works so well. It has even been mapped extremely well. I was excited to start using Serato. But so far not so impressed.
DJGongshow 12:40 AM - 18 April, 2014
Still need this... worked great in Serato ITCH but since upgrading to SDJ it looks so amateur to have to hit the sync button because of the startup time
DJ Shatta! 12:59 AM - 18 April, 2014
DJGongshow,

I don't understand how they were able to fix this in ITCH 1.5 and above but haven't done this for one of the flagship units (NS7 II) for Serato DJ

DJ HFX,

That's cool (I only wish) but the venues I spin will not let you unless you have Serato & Mac.
marcA 2:37 PM - 18 April, 2014
+1
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:24 PM - 19 April, 2014
Quote:
I am a NS7 owner and soon to be NS72 owner as well, I am not happy that Serato is not going to incorporate the "Instant Start" function back into Serato DJ

So I am starting a Petition I have always appreciated this function because I love the fact that I can push play and it starts instantly with the platter on, Doing the workaround is a hassle for me.

+1
The Despicable Nyan Cat 10:02 PM - 21 April, 2014
Quote:
I don't understand how they were able to fix this in ITCH 1.5 and above but haven't done this for one of the flagship units (NS7 II) for Serato DJ

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
DJ1855 2:13 PM - 23 April, 2014
Someone, please tell me that this has finally been fixed in this new release 1.6.2. This thread dates back to August 2013. We are now in April of 2014. This is clearly a hindrance to many people's performance and a bug that we have all been waiting to get fixed.
Sounds By JB 2:49 PM - 23 April, 2014
@DJ1855...

No mention in the changelog about that.

Only alteration for the NS7II -->

- SHIFT + PADS 1-8 loads selected track to empty sample slot on Numark NS7II

First time I hear this request, would have been nice if they fixed the instant start as well while having this code open.. grmbl...
Panotaker 2:51 PM - 23 April, 2014
For a minute there I thought they fixed it, but I actually booted up Itch by mistake. When I booted up SDJ 1.6.2, the bug (feature) is still there. It still starts up slow, and sync still doesn't work. When I saw they added support for the Reloop TT, (a turntable that maybe 3 people own), I knew that they probably didn't fix it. I guess it was more important to add more devices, even though hardly anybody owns them, than to fix a controller that thousands of people own.
thorissr 2:55 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
@DJ1855...

No mention in the changelog about that.

Only alteration for the NS7II -->

- SHIFT + PADS 1-8 loads selected track to empty sample slot on Numark NS7II

First time I hear this request, would have been nice if they fixed the instant start as well while having this code open.. grmbl...

The Shift Loop bug has been fixed on NS7 MK2 although it's not mentioned in the changelog. I don't use that particular feature, however, it has been mentioned and confirmed in another thread pertaining to 1.6.2 fixes for the NS7 2.
DJ HFX 6:01 PM - 23 April, 2014
yep still does not work Only work around is to press shift + Play
DJ1855 5:40 PM - 17 May, 2014
I tried the Shift + Play option last night. It didn't work. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking maybe I have "Play from start" selected and should have just "Play from First Cue Point" only in order to get this workaround fixed.

This is a really aggravating issue.
DJ Demolition 11:51 PM - 18 May, 2014
Quote:
I am a NS7 owner and soon to be NS72 owner as well, I am not happy that Serato is not going to incorporate the "Instant Start" function back into Serato DJ

So I am starting a Petition I have always appreciated this function because I love the fact that I can push play and it starts instantly with the platter on, Doing the workaround is a hassle for me.

Yes it is a big problem, and I've been complaining for months about it. Martin C. has assured me that it will be operational in the next update, meanwhile I'm still using Itch, for that and other reasons.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:53 PM - 18 May, 2014
@ DJ Demolition, I have not promised you that it would be in the next update, but it will be an update as soon as we can possibly get it in.

I completely understand how annoying the lack of this feature is for those who have come to rely on it, so we will be doing our best to allocate resources for its implementation.
DJ Demolition 12:13 AM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
The best thing you can do is bitch about it on the Numark forum, not on the Serato forum, so people will stop buying them or start taking them back and getting their money back. The fastest way to fix the problem is to hit them in the pocket book. Serato already knows they have a problem with it, but it doesn't look like they are in a big hurry to fix it. Not until Numark tells them that they are losing sales. From looking at the replies from the Numark reps, I don't even think that they know that there is a problem with it.

Numark doesn't care either. They mainly rely on advertising hype... You know; "The great DJ X uses Numark exclusively, and so should you!" type of ad. If they'd spend their money on programmers and engineers instead of paying those stooges to endorse them, maybe we wouldn't have so much to complain about.

I tried to get Numark to understand the problem with their V7 and NS7 platters drifting off cue (which also will negate the Sync lock), and they practically laughed in my face. Finally I tore my V7s down and modified the electronics myself, to fix the issue. They work fine now, but no-thanks to Numark..! If I can do it, they could certainly have done it also, given their much superior resources. See the results here: www.flickr.com
DJ Demolition 12:25 AM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
@ DJ Demolition, I have not promised you that it would be in the next update, but it will be an update as soon as we can possibly get it in.

I completely understand how annoying the lack of this feature is for those who have come to rely on it, so we will be doing our best to allocate resources for its implementation.

Ah, well I suppose we tend to believe what we want to believe, don't we? Well, if it hasn't been addressed by the next update, one has to wonder why, as it is very important to those of us who use the affected controllers.

Is Serato short on funds? What can we customers do to help these matters along? Does Serato see us as their partners, or simply as consumers? I don't know about everyone else, but personally, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee to get software that I felt comfortable with, and could effectively use.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:54 AM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:
Is Serato short on funds? What can we customers do to help these matters along? Does Serato see us as their partners, or simply as consumers? I don't know about everyone else, but personally, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee to get software that I felt comfortable with, and could effectively use.

Anything you purchase from us will help our cause and allow us to expand our development resources :) FX packs, Serato DJ license, Pitch 'n Time DJ etc ;)

More development resources = more time and people to implement the features people want.

I am not sure what you mean by the "partners or consumers" question? I think of our customers as users that use our product, support what we do and provide very useful feedback as to how they would see our products grow.
DJ Quartz 3:56 AM - 20 May, 2014
Just want to chime in because I'm not understanding the problem fully.

So when you hit start your platter doesn't spin immediately. I'm not seeing this problem but I'm not using sync.
Sounds By JB 6:57 AM - 20 May, 2014
@DJ Quartz

Quote:
So when you hit start your platter doesn't spin immediately. I'm not seeing this problem but I'm not using sync.

Its not a 'start' button, Its a 'play' button (so says the icon, so says the manual). With it being a play button on a controller come certain expectations, like instant start when you press on it. New users who come from CDJ's or other controllers did not expect this not to work. Same for Itch users where Itch the NS7 original does instantly start.

That is your problem.

Is there a way around it? Sure. Shift + Play, hold the platter, etc etc. But for people used to instant (possibly synced) start, which is pretty common for electronic dj's, this is just a pretty big annoyance. And to each their own technique of course.
Sounds By JB 7:01 AM - 20 May, 2014
@Martin C

I've now heard multiple Serato employees confirm that it will be fixed, there are multiple threads on this issue and there are at least 16 +1's in this thread and yet in the 1.6.3 update, again, no fix.

So what is needed? Do you need Numark to pay you? Do we need to complain there? Is Serato in charge of their own Roadmap? Or is it simply resources?
marcA 7:24 AM - 20 May, 2014
it was there in Itch
so should it be in SDJ
'nuff said :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:22 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
So what is needed? Do you need Numark to pay you? Do we need to complain there? Is Serato in charge of their own Roadmap? Or is it simply resources?

To put it simply, time. In this case, time and resources are a similar thing.

No we don't need Numark to pay us and yes we are in charge of our own Roadmap - but we also work with our hardware partners to meet launch dates too, so it becomes a collaborative effort as to when software and hardware are ready.

Your complaints are heard here, and we will be the ones to implement the software feature, I apologise it wasn't in 1.6.3 but we haven't forgotten about it either.
Panotaker 10:53 AM - 20 May, 2014
If it was a Pioneer controller, it would have got fixed a long time ago. I have complained about this bug and the sync bug since day one, and it hasn't been fixed yet. But if a Pioneer bug is found, it gets fixed right away.
DJ Quartz 12:33 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Its not a 'start' button, Its a 'play' button (so says the icon, so says the manual). With it being a play button on a controller come certain expectations, like instant start when you press on it. New users who come from CDJ's or other controllers did not expect this not to work. Same for Itch users where Itch the NS7 original does instantly start.

My question was not answered. I hit 'play' on my NS7 and my platters start always, they don't spin up, they instantly start.

My start and stop adjustment knobs work normally as well.

I stated I don't use sync, so one again I ask is that the related problem.
Panotaker 1:00 PM - 20 May, 2014
Yeah to test it, stop the platter and cue up a song to the first beat. Hit play and you should here a slight drag when the song starts. Now turn off the motors, and stop the song and cue it up to the first beat again. Hit play again, the song will start instantly and you won't hear a slight drag with the motors off. It doesn't matter if you use sync or not.
DJ Quartz 1:13 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Yeah to test it, stop the platter and cue up a song to the first beat. Hit play and you should here a slight drag when the song starts. Now turn off the motors, and stop the song and cue it up to the first beat again. Hit play again, the song will start instantly and you won't hear a slight drag with the motors off. It doesn't matter if you use sync or not.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I never noticed it because I'm always scratching and cueing with the vinyl being I use tables mostly so I have those tendencies.

Honestly, I've never noticed this prior really, but I can understand where it could be a problem if you're dropping a track without cueing.
marcA 1:51 PM - 20 May, 2014
not everyone with a ns7 is scratching :)
DJ Quartz 1:55 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
not everyone with a ns7 is scratching :)

I understand that, this is why I didn't understand the problem entirely.

But I understand now from that point of view.
marcA 2:01 PM - 20 May, 2014
and at this point the beatgrid sync is useless on ns7(ii) when the platters are engaged, so that shouldn't be happening, the whole sync feature should work on ns7(ii) to...
even if nodody would use it :)
DJ Quartz 2:09 PM - 20 May, 2014
Makes complete sense.
Sounds By JB 3:29 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Your complaints are heard here, and we will be the ones to implement the software feature, I apologise it wasn't in 1.6.3 but we haven't forgotten about it either.

Martin,

Many thanks for the reply and update. We'll be patient ;)
DJ HFX 1:00 AM - 26 May, 2014
Yes the beat grid sync keep losing sync. But if you use virtual dj sync and instant start works. Come on serato when will 1.6.4 be released so I can use this system to its full potential. I kept hearing how good a program serato is. And how it is used by professional. But so far Virtual DJ is kicking some ass considering the ns7II in not native to VDJ
DJ Demolition 11:18 AM - 26 May, 2014
Quote:
does the new virtual dj 8.0 have mappings for the NS7 ?

VDJ 8 is fantasyware.
Sounds By JB 11:47 AM - 26 May, 2014
Quote:
VDJ 8 is fantasyware.

That may be, but I've given both audio engines an in depth look and the new engine of VDJ 8 comes extremely close to Serato's engine. Actually, without PnT the Serato engine would lose the battle.

Nevertheless I found the NS7II to be more responsive in Serato and VDJ8 is too 'packed with stuff' than practical, but it all depends on your personal preference.
thorissr 2:32 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I see what you're saying. I never noticed it because I'm always scratching and cueing with the vinyl being I use tables mostly so I have those tendencies.

Honestly, I've never noticed this prior really, but I can understand where it could be a problem if you're dropping a track without cueing.

+1

Although I never used this feature on my NS72, I can see the importance of it to many. I spin on TT's and purchased the NS72 as a lighter solution without having to compromise the spinning vinyl feel. I'm so used to cue'ing my songs in with a slight nudge while the motors are active.

Also, I'm not trying to add salt to an already open wound, but statements such as "if this was a Pioneer controller it would've been fixed on the next update" appears to hold some merit. I own the DDJ SZ and quite frankly the expedition to resolve issues for Pioneer do seem to be fixed quickly.

The instant start request goes back a longggg way Serato. Please show those that have purchased the NS7/2 controllers and want this feature some love :)

Peace!!
7thfloor 9:40 PM - 3 June, 2014
Any idea when the issue with instant start and losing sync will be solved!!!
Panotaker 10:33 PM - 3 June, 2014
Probably as soon as the fix all the bugs on the Pioneer controllers.
DJ Shatta! 1:14 AM - 4 June, 2014
OMG! Serato DJ 1.6.3 is released without resolving this issue??? This has to be political because it looks like they ONLY addressed problems with Pioneer players in this one. This is crazy Serato...
This was resolved after a couple of updates in ITCH. It's a real issue. I'm certain that more Dj's find this to be a problem but don't know the forum to resolve...

Come on guys!!!
DJ Demolition 1:14 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
workaround for this is turn the platter off because turntables+Serato DJ has the same issue so I cant see Serato addressing this,

My workaround is to stay with Itch. IMO, pound for pound with these controllers, it's better software.
DJ Demolition 1:19 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
This has to be political because it looks like they ONLY addressed problems with Pioneer players in this one. This is crazy Serato...

Numark owns Torq now. So if you think about it, at this rate, it's probably only a matter of time before they release their own software/controller options. Where will that leave Serato, I wonder?
DJ Shatta! 1:35 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
losing sync will be solved

workaround for this is turn the platter off because turntables+Serato DJ has the same issue so I cant see Serato addressing this,

This is true BUT turning the platters off and on is a pain on the NS7 II because you have to hit shift but I suppose it's like anything else, you just get used to it.

I get what you're saying about the turntables having the same issue BUT this is why we purchased a controller to not have to do work arounds. You want to focus on performance not work arounds.

My issue is that they found the need to correct this in ITCH fairly quickly. This is why I feel it's more of an internal political issue involving Numark & Pioneer (Not that I'm blaming either of the manufacturers).
DJ Shatta! 1:43 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
losing sync will be solved

Wait... I was talking about the instant start issue. The platters drifting is normal wow & flutter of the motor. That's why we have the pitch bend buttons... Haha.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:59 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
My issue is that they found the need to correct this in ITCH fairly quickly. This is why I feel it's more of an internal political issue involving Numark & Pioneer (Not that I'm blaming either of the manufacturers).

I would like to put this idea to rest. There is nothing "political" going on here, we (Serato) have scheduled the work into our timeline and now it is just a matter of time of getting through the work that is currently higher priority.

As I have said before in this discussion, we will do it.
DJ Shatta! 2:25 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I would like to put this idea to rest. There is nothing "political" going on here, we (Serato) have scheduled the work into our timeline and now it is just a matter of time of getting through the work that is currently higher priority.

As I have said before in this discussion, we will do it.

@Martin C

I apologize if I came off a bit harsh. This issue is frustrating because it is taking such a long time. The NS7 II is supposed to be one of the flagship controllers along with the Pioneer units so I'm puzzled as to how this is not a little higher priority. I'm sure Serato has their reasons for not addressing this sooner. I'll try to understand & be a little more patient.

I was only reflecting on the time it took to resolve this known issue in ITCH vs. DJ. It just seems that Pioneer is getting a lot more love now. Which is understandable since they are the new pretty girl at the party.

This issue was confirmed in August last year by Serato. We were informed to start a new thread... so we did. :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:46 AM - 4 June, 2014
No, its completely understandable man, the issue is frustrating. I just didn't want that to become a rumour or anything, and I especially didn't want people to think Pioneer and Numark were at fault for some reason.

Quote:
The NS7 II is supposed to be one of the flagship controllers along with the Pioneer units so I'm puzzled as to how this is not a little higher priority.

Its always a bit tricky to gauge priority of things until you see the big picture for yourself, however having to think about the "bigger picture" is not something I think you guys should have to worry about, thats my job - you guys have got more important things to do, like DJ! :)

The issue fixed for the DDJ-SZ platter in 1.6.3 was quite critical for performance with no workaround. The NS7 and V7 at least have the option to go back to ITCH for this feature and the NS7II guys can hold the platter with play already engaged. Workarounds are not ideal by any means, but when there isn't even a workaround, you have a bigger problem on your hands. Thats how you can end up with higher priority work to do.

Regardless, I apologise for the lack of this feature, but I promise that we will be doing at as soon as we possibly can.
Panotaker 2:52 AM - 4 June, 2014
Although I posted what I said about Serato Fixing Pioneer bugs first as a joke, to us that own the Numark NS7/V7/NS7II, it sure looks like you guys over at Serato give priority to the Pioneer units. The problems where fixed in Itch quickly because Pioneer didn't have a controller when the original NS7 was out. I hope you guys finally get around to fixing the instant start and sync issue on the next release or soon there after. I just hope Pioneer doesn't release a DDJ-SZmk2 anytime soon;-)
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:32 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
Although I posted what I said about Serato Fixing Pioneer bugs first as a joke, to us that own the Numark NS7/V7/NS7II, it sure looks like you guys over at Serato give priority to the Pioneer units.

I know you might be just messing about, but others may take your comments more seriously, so I just wanted to be clear about it.

As explained, given the circumstances of the issue, fixing a bug for a Pioneer controller did take priority over implementing instant start, no two ways about it. But there isn't some conscious decision to look after Pioneer customers and disregard Numark customers. We genuinely try to focus our resources equally and have a hardware team dedicated to maintaining all our supported devices.
Yessmann 1:52 PM - 27 June, 2014
I just bought the NS7 II yesterday and am ready to take it back. This shouldn't happen. And when it DOES, it should be rectified way sooner than this. Absolutely ridiculous. Like seriously, the first post here was from 10 MONTHS AGO!
DJ Demolition 1:38 AM - 28 June, 2014
Right... We need less hype, and more help!

I'm not particularly happy with the company right now, but to Martin's credit, he (alone) is at least man enough to admit the faults of his employer, when it is clearly pointed out here.

I get the impression that Serato bit off considerably more than they could chew, when they decided to take on this complete (Serato DJ) software re-write. With so many unhappy customers, they are very lucky in that all their competition is also suffering from a similar lack of creative capacity at this time.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 4:29 PM - 28 June, 2014
Quote:
they are very lucky in that all their competition is also suffering from a similar lack of creative capacity at this time.
DJ Cesar Mixshow 9:25 AM - 29 June, 2014
Wow after hauling this very heavy ns7 2 I had a nightmare with starting each song. We need instant start update the software!!!!!! This is crazy and unacceptable!
DJ Enc3phalon 7:50 PM - 29 June, 2014
For crying out loud, How long does it take to solve a simple matter like this. People have already given you guys a possible solution by using a cue point for instant start and then while the cue button is pressed, press the play button. How long does it take to create a simple macro to emulate this sequence of events. 10 minutes?? 20 minutes?? Maybe an hour for some1 who isn't too bright. U know what, I'll even give you a possible algorithm. understandably, I don't have access to your source code, but based on what I believe should already be coded in your software, pass on the following algorithm to your team of developers and see if they can use it. don't know what programming language you guys are using, but I'll base the general syntax on c++. I'm sure they shouldn't find it difficult to translate it the the programming language they are using.

//function declarations

void instant_play(Cuepoint);

void play(original_parameters types); /*is the original play event that is called when you press the play button*/

void Main_Play(Cuepoint, original_parameters type); /*new function to be called when you press the play button*/

//function definitions

void Main_Play(Cuepoint temp, original_parameters) /*temp is a Cuepoint object of the current position of the track*/
{
if{ device.isVinyl() && vinylStartTime==MIN_VALUE}
instant_play(temp, original_parameters variables);

else
play(original_parameters variables);
}

void instant_play(Cuepoint temp, original_parameters)
{
Cuebutton.hold(temp);
play(original_parameters variables);
if(smartsync.isEnabled())
{
Syncbutton.hold();
Syncbutton.release();
}
Cuebutton.release();
}

See, only took a few lines of code and a couple of minutes. Based on how the NS7ii works with the software, I believe all the member functions I've used have already been defined in your code, although the names maybe different. I really can't understand why such a simple task takes several months unless you can't be bothered. Does support for Numark NS7ii users have such a low priority that you can't spare a couple of programmers for a few hours to do this trivial task?

Hope to c something to resolve this problem we NS7/NS7ii users are currently facing in the next release.

Ceph
DJ Demolition 9:45 PM - 29 June, 2014
Quote:
How long does it take to create a simple macro to emulate this sequence of events. 10 minutes?? 20 minutes?? Maybe an hour for some1 who isn't too bright. U know what, I'll even give you a possible algorithm.

Haha... I know exactly how you feel! The intense frustration forces you to take matters in your own hands. But... they don't really seem to be that concerned about our needs and feelings. It's not just Serato though, the other DJ software providers all have the same attitude.

Hardware providers are just as bad. I talked to Numark about my V7 turntables not stopping on cue and moving off cue at rest, but they just blew me off, saying I was the only one who had ever complained. So, I took my controllers apart and re-engineered the motor electronics. It was a lot of trouble and risk, but I got what I wanted. Here are the results: www.flickr.com

I'm not the world's best programmer, but I used to write my own interfaces and macros for VDJ when I was using it. Like you, if I could get into the software, I'd try to correct those issues, also.
DJ HFX 12:42 PM - 14 July, 2014
I think what we all need to do is to go back to numark and ask for refunds and pressure numark to pressure serato to get off their a$$ and fix the problem. I was a long time user of virtual dj and decided to buy the ns7II and always heard from the djs how professional serato is. Yeah, not so much . When bugs are reported in virtual dj they are corrected quickly and they already fixed the sysnc problem with the motorized platters.

Maybe Numark should switch to shipping it with software that works with their product Virtual DJ 8

I use a mack book pro for my events. But I actual have a back up laptop a toshiba that is 7 years old that can still run Virtual dj 8 with the numark 7II Oh and it works with sysnc!!

WAKE UP SERATO........... FIX THE CODE!!!!!!!!!
dizzyrocks2001 8:17 PM - 14 July, 2014
+1 for instant start... but Serato has already acknowledged that it will be fixed so all we can do is wait. I'm ok with using the workaround method(s) for now. By the way, Virtual DJ works like crap with the V7s so I won't be switching to that any time soon.
DJ HFX 11:39 PM - 14 July, 2014
did you try the vdj 8 its a complete new software engin and is mapped for the ns7II not sure if itis done with the v7 Its just bums me out that I paid a fortune for the ns7II and now have to turn off the platters to keep them from going out of sync. Not a big deal if you are just mixing two tracks but i am having a back ground beat track and mixing two songs and trying to scratch with the 4 th table. I am not good enough to keep all that sync manualy . lol
dizzyrocks2001 12:23 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
did you try the vdj 8 its a complete new software engin and is mapped for the ns7II not sure if itis done with the v7 Its just bums me out that I paid a fortune for the ns7II and now have to turn off the platters to keep them from going out of sync. Not a big deal if you are just mixing two tracks but i am having a back ground beat track and mixing two songs and trying to scratch with the 4 th table. I am not good enough to keep all that sync manualy . lol

Any time I've ever used Virtual DJ with any controller at first I'm like "Ok, seems good... oops, wait.. bleep switch doesn't work... uh oh, there's a big delay when hitting the cue buttons... wait a minute, the effects knob isn't working as it should... aaaaand it just crashed". With Serato everything just works the way it's supposed to and it doesn't crash (on me anyways - knock on wood). Serato's approach: make it work awesome with a handful of controllers... Virtual DJ's approach: make it work so-so with a million different controllers. Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a VDJ vs. SDJ thing. I'm still +1 for instant platter start on the NS7 II and I'm sure it will be coming soon.
DJ Shatta! 3:52 AM - 22 July, 2014
Come on guys! It's been over 2 months at least that you said that this issue was being worked on. At least from my last update request...
Let's get a status update on this.
Sounds By JB 5:28 AM - 22 July, 2014
hear hear!
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:18 AM - 23 July, 2014
Hey guys,

I am not sure what else you'd like in terms of a status update other than giving you a specific date (which unfortunately I cannot).

We still plan on implementing this as soon as soon as possible.

One thing I wanted to ask you guys about is: Are you aware of the issue in ITCH where if you have instant start enabled, then you have a track loaded but not playing, you hold the platter, then press play - the track starts playing and doesn't respect that you are holding the platter?

Does that bug you? Or do you not really ever drop a track in like that?
marcA 6:33 AM - 23 July, 2014
hi Martin,
i can't recall this issue you're describing in Itch....
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:07 AM - 23 July, 2014
Check it out and see! Fundamentally, I believe its unavoidable. The whole concept of instant start is to disrespect the motor start up time, by ignoring it for a moment. If we tell the software to ignore what happens when the motor begins sending data, then we are ignoring the fact that your hand is on the platter too.

I just wanted to know what you guys though about that particular issue and if it has ever interrupted your workflow, but perhaps not.

What if we made instant start simply work when your start time was set to 0 on the start knob of the controller? Would you be happy with that?
marcA 7:34 AM - 23 July, 2014
ah i guess that's why i hold the platter after it started... when instant start was enabled
i guess using the start knob gives the most flexibility, i'm in
Panotaker 9:00 AM - 23 July, 2014
I think if you make it work exactly like it worked in Itch, everyone would be happy. That is what everybody is complaint about, that it doest work like Itch. Put out a Beta to test the waters. Just don't change Itch, it's perfect. You got it working correctly with Itch, I can't see why you can't make SDJ work exactly the dame way. If you make it work like Itch, your Sync problem will probably get fixed too since they seem to be connected.
Panotaker 9:00 AM - 23 July, 2014
I think if you make it work exactly like it worked in Itch, everyone would be happy. That is what everybody is complaint about, that it doest work like Itch. Put out a Beta to test the waters. Just don't change Itch, it's perfect. You got it working correctly with Itch, I can't see why you can't make SDJ work exactly the dame way. If you make it work like Itch, your Sync problem will probably get fixed too since they seem to be connected.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:37 AM - 23 July, 2014
Hey Panotaker,

We can make instant start work exactly like ITCH, but does it have to be a setup option?

I am just asking :)

Quote:
What if we made instant start simply work when your start time was set to 0 on the start knob of the controller? Would you be happy with that?

Quote:
your Sync problem will probably get fixed too since they seem to be connected.

What sync problem?
Panotaker 11:29 AM - 23 July, 2014
This sync problem
serato.com
Panotaker 11:49 AM - 23 July, 2014
Just make it work EXACTLY like Itch. Instant start works perfect in Itch and I don't recall anybody ever complaint about it. We only complained in the beginning because it didn't work. When Itch was first released at the very beginning, instant start didn't work on it either. You guys figured out how to fix it pretty quick in Itch. Just make it work like Itch, thats all we ask.

As far as the sync problem, I believe they are related. Read the description on the link I posted above this one, I describe it in that post. Read all the comments, there are not that many, I describe it perfectly. If not, I can make a video and show you what I am talking about.
marcA 11:55 AM - 23 July, 2014
the sync problem was never resolved in Itch iirc....
making sync pretty useless...
marcA 11:55 AM - 23 July, 2014
that said, my ns7II behaves a lot better then my previous NS7 regarding the wow and flutter...
DJGongshow 12:51 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:

+1 for that
DJGongshow 12:57 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
This sync problem
serato.com

I've observed this too since ITCH... would love to see it corrected, happy to beta test
Sounds By JB 6:19 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:

What sync problem?

THESE SYNC PROBLEMS:

Watchwww.youtube.com

14 sync losses because of spontanious drifting in 10 minutes. Making it almost impossible to use more than 2 decks.
Sounds By JB 6:26 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:

14 sync losses because of spontanious drifting in 10 minutes. Making it almost impossible to use more than 2 decks.

Sync gets especially problematic after 7 minutes when using 3 decks
DJGongshow 6:53 PM - 23 July, 2014
same here, especially when syncing double/half BPM
DJ Demolition 2:52 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:

Makes perfect sense to me.
Sounds By JB 2:57 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
is the sync better when platter is turned off

perfect, but with the platter turned off the whole controller makes no sense anymore. It also works fine with slip mode on. Either the NS7II motor is too fluctuating (the drift is very random, but occurs more when more decks are used) or Serato's engine needs to compensate this behavior.
DJ Demolition 3:00 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
What sync problem?

Serato won't lock on to the beat grid like VDJ does. If the platter moves ever so slightly.., even when stopped, SYNC drops out. Smart Sync, anyway... I don't like the way Serato behaves with 'simple sync', so I never try to use it.

If you use Sync, this flaw is a major aggravation.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:11 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Just make it work like Itch, thats all we ask.

I am not suggesting we change the actual functionality of how instant start is achieved, in that regard it will be the same. I was more suggesting an alternative of how to activate it - instead of having a setup option, you just turn your start time to 0 on the hardware.

Quote:
As far as the sync problem, I believe they are related. Read the description on the link I posted above this one, I describe it in that post. Read all the comments, there are not that many, I describe it perfectly. If not, I can make a video and show you what I am talking about.

Cool I appreciate the link, I checked out the post. Dizzyrocks2001 summed it up nicely in there - so you are in agreement that the issue you reported requires instant start to be implemented? I just wanted to be sure that your issue is about getting tracks in sync, rather than: Maintaining a long sync, which is a different problem where the software does not ignore wow and flutter (existed in ITCH).

This is a separate and different problem that Sounds by JB and DJ Demolition are talking about, but I just want to make a clear delineation about them being two separate problems.
Panotaker 1:01 AM - 25 July, 2014
Yeah, that sounds fine if you want to control it with the knob at zero, just as long as it starts instantly like a CD player. I don't see why you would want it to start slower, but I guess somebody might, so might as well make it adjustable since you already have a knob there so you can make it start slow, like a turntable.

Yeah, the sync problem I am reporting requires instant start to work, so I believe the problems are related. The sync problem others are reporting with the long sync is either a beat grid issue, or a wow and flutter issue, but I never found wow and flutter to be a problem with the original NS7 and Itch, so I'm pretty these guys are just not beat gridding correctly.

I'll explain the sync problem I'm complaint about one more time just to make sure we are on the same page. First I'll explain how it works in Itch, which works perfect. Lets say you have the left deck playing and the right deck stopped. Load up a song on the right deck and cue it up but leave it stopped. No press sync on the left deck, the Sync icon on the screen turns blue for the left deck (smart sync). Now press the sync button on the stopped deck(right deck), the sync icon on the right deck on the laptop screen turns grey. Now press play on the right deck and it starts in perfect sync with the left deck like it is supposed to. The sync icon on the right deck is now blue and so is the sync icon on the left deck, both stayed in smart sync.

Now lets do the same thing in Serato DJ. Same scenario, left deck playing, right deck stopped. Load up a track on the right deck and cue it up but leave it stopped. Now press sync on the left deck. The sync icon for the left deck on the screen turns blue (smart sync). Now press the sync button on the stopped deck (right deck), The sync icon on the right deck on the laptop screen turns grey. So far so good. Here is where Serato DJ falls apart. Press play on the right deck. The first thing that happens is that the right deck doesn't start instantly, It starts a split second after the beat marker of the left deck, so it is nowhere near in sync. The other thing that happens when you hit play on the right deck is that the left deck sync icon turns from blue to orange instantly(simple sync), it is supposed to stay blue (smart sync), but it doesn't. The sync icon on the right deck turns blue like it is supposed to, but the left deck sync icon went from blue to orange. It's not supposed to do that. The right deck is also supposed to start on the beat grid marker of the left deck, but it doesn't do that either.

I hoped I explained that correctly. If not I can make you a video so you can see what I am talking about.
DjSyndic8 1:04 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Yeah, that sounds fine if you want to control it with the knob at zero, just as long as it starts instantly like a CD player. I don't see why you would want it to start slower, but I guess somebody might, so might as well make it adjustable since you already have a knob there so you can make it start slow, like a turntable.

I don't know why anyone would want to start it from slow thats old turntable technology and Ive been djing for 20 years and Ive used technics 1200s and I have never used that ever lol
DJ Demolition 1:31 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
I just wanted to be sure that your issue is about getting tracks in sync, rather than: Maintaining a long sync, which is a different problem where the software does not ignore wow and flutter (existed in ITCH).

This is a separate and different problem that Sounds by JB and DJ Demolition are talking about, but I just want to make a clear delineation about them being two separate problems.

Sometimes you (we DJs) need to adjust the (grid) alignment a little while Synced, but speaking for myself, I don't need to use the platter for that.., not while in Sync mode. I'd rather use the pitch bend for such small adjustments.

Give us the option to have the software ignore small platter movements while in Sync, and that should eliminate the Sync issue that I've complained about. As I say, we can make our fine adjustments with the pitch bend.
DJ Demolition 1:32 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
I don't know why anyone would want to start it from slow thats old turntable technology and Ive been djing for 20 years and Ive used technics 1200s and I have never used that ever lol

It's just something I use for effect, occasionally.
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:21 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Yeah, that sounds fine if you want to control it with the knob at zero, just as long as it starts instantly like a CD player.

Yep, basically when the start knob is at value 0, it will work exactly as it does when you enable instant start in ITCH.

Quote:
I hoped I explained that correctly. If not I can make you a video so you can see what I am talking about.

No, its ok - I completely understand your explanation, thanks for taking the time out to write that out. It has definitely made me 100% convinced its due to the fact that instant start isn't available, so as soon you hit play, the sync state is instantly falling out, due the platter still respecting the motor start up time. I'd imagine that if you disabled instant start in ITCH, but had the motor start time the slowest, you would see the same thing happen which proves its about instant start.

Quote:
Give us the option to have the software ignore small platter movements while in Sync, and that should eliminate the Sync issue that I've complained about. As I say, we can make our fine adjustments with the pitch bend.

Hey DJ Demolition, I completely understand. Thats part of a separate feature we need to implement, where basically sync for both motorised platters and DVS systems can ignore the wow and flutter. I understand how it goes hand in hand with the workflow of sync and this controller though.

Sorry I can't give you any more details as to when we will implement this, but its definitely on the list!
Panotaker 1:06 PM - 25 July, 2014
Well I am glad we are on the same page, now lets see how fast you guys can fix the problems. Thanks.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 3:28 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
now lets see how fast you guys can fix the problems

this
DJ Demolition 1:55 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Sorry I can't give you any more details as to when we will implement this, but its definitely on the list!

If I haven't said so before, I appreciate your timely, thorough, logical responses to our posted issues here, Martin. Now if only the rest of your crew would demonstrate a little more intelligence and initiative also...

Regarding the software; all I can say is, I certainly glad we have Itch to fall back on, and that it works as well as it does. I'd sure hate to know I had to work a real gig with my V7s and SDJ.
DJ HFX 2:37 AM - 27 July, 2014
Thats Great That people can fall back on itch. But for me I spent 2000$ for the ns7II and road case and I am not able to use it to its full potential. I do not feel like I should have to buy Itch until serato gets their act togeather and fixes a problem that has been going on way to long.

FIX IT!!!!
DJ Demolition 2:46 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
I do not feel like I should have to buy Itch until serato gets their act togeather

You do realize that you don't have to "buy" Itch.., right?

I feel you, though. None of us are happy with the situation Serato and Numark have us in at the current time. Maybe they are doing the best they can.., or maybe not... Either way, it's unprofessional behavior, and our frustration is only compounded be the heaps of hype they continually push our way.
DJ Demolition 3:04 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
I completely understand. Thats part of a separate feature we need to implement, where basically sync for both motorised platters and DVS systems can ignore the wow and flutter. I understand how it goes hand in hand with the workflow of sync and this controller though.

Just wanted to point out that Smart Sync will also drop out when changing hot-cue points, or jumping to a new cue position while the track is playing, also. Even if you catch the beat perfectly, Smart Sync is not "smart" enough, to stay engaged.

One relevant thing I'd like to add here, is that I've noticed that aligning the transients in the "Beat Matching Display", is more accurate than matching transients in "Main Waveform Display", or aligning the grid markers. It would be nice, if say.., Simple Sync for instance, would recognize those transients, then lock on to them and hold them in alignment, in the same way that VDJ used to function.
Papa Midnight 2:26 PM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Just wanted to point out that Smart Sync will also drop out when changing hot-cue points, or jumping to a new cue position while the track is playing, also. Even if you catch the beat perfectly, Smart Sync is not "smart" enough, to stay engaged.

Out of curiosity, does this happen if Quantize is enabled?
marcA 2:35 PM - 29 July, 2014
why wouldn't it...
DJ Demolition 1:16 AM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
Out of curiosity, does this happen if Quantize is enabled?

Ah, well, I'll have to check. I was speaking for Itch. I haven't even tried to use SDJ for a few months.

Checking now...

And, the answer is yes.., it does. The outcome is the same. Quantize has no effect on the problem.
Papa Midnight 1:46 AM - 30 July, 2014
Interesting. I know from my experience using Quantize that it tends to be pretty strict about sticking to beatgrids. I wasn't sure if it would help or not and thought I'd ask.
DJ Demolition 2:01 AM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
Interesting. I know from my experience using Quantize that it tends to be pretty strict about sticking to beatgrids. I wasn't sure if it would help or not and thought I'd ask.

Well, as I was saying, it doesn't matter if you catch the beat dead on... it will still drop out.

Any time the track moves or deviates the slightest amount from where the software would have it otherwise (if it hadn't moved on it's own), you lose Sync. Doesn't matter if you move the platter, hit a cue, whatever.., you lose Sync.

If the track is stopped, let's say it's cued up to cue #1, then you decide you want to start from cue#2... When you hit the #2 cue button, it *has* to be perfect, no way around that, as the track isn't even moving... yet Sync will drop out, and if you need it, you'd best remember to reengage, or you are in trouble.

I'm surprised you asked me about that though. Don't you have V7s also..?
Papa Midnight 3:31 AM - 30 July, 2014
NS7, but I don't generally make use of Sync (save for one transition edit of a song that is time-stretched incorrectly) so this is something I have not come across personally.

Primarily, this is my current concern:
Quote:

To which the solution proposed by Martin C is amicable to me.
Quote:
I am not suggesting we change the actual functionality of how instant start is achieved, in that regard it will be the same. I was more suggesting an alternative of how to activate it - instead of having a setup option, you just turn your start time to 0 on the hardware.
DJ Demolition 5:28 AM - 30 July, 2014
NS7... Okay, well that's close enough. I guess I could have checked your profile though, before asking stupid questions.

Yes, I'm in agreement with Martin there as well, as I indicated earlier in this thread. Seems both simple and practical, as well as intuitive. Hard to beat all that.

Personally, I have to use Sync a lot more than I'd like, because I have many favorites that are ripped from compilations, which have the intros/tails chopped off, and many of them have transitioning BPMs either at the beginning , the end, or both. It's nearly impossible to blend some of these properly, without using Sync.
Sounds By JB 8:24 AM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, that sounds fine if you want to control it with the knob at zero, just as long as it starts instantly like a CD player.

Yep, basically when the start knob is at value 0, it will work exactly as it does when you enable instant start in ITCH.

You think we can expect that in Serato DJ 1.7.0? Think it would make us all happy!
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:46 AM - 8 August, 2014
Nope sorry, not in 1.7.0.
Sounds By JB 3:54 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
Nope sorry, not in 1.7.0.

Too bad, but cheers for the quick and honest answer though.
7thfloor 7:42 PM - 8 August, 2014
Very disappointed to hear that after a year there is still no 'Instant' start and the sync problems are not solved. I must say I have little confidence that it will be solved this year.

Maybe they can make the Numark NS7 II compatible with ITCH.
Panotaker 8:52 PM - 8 August, 2014
Now that the new Pioneer DDJ-SXmk2 has been announced, I don't think they are going to fix the NS7,NS7II,V7 problems anytime soon. They will probably be concentrating all their efforts on getting all the bugs out of the new Pioneer controller, and put the Numark problems on the back burner once again, as they have done in the past. Numark needs to wise up and switch platforms since they are losing sales due to lack of support from Serato. The problem is, you talk to Numark, and they don't even know they have a problem, they think their new NS7II works perfect with Serato DJ. Thank god the NS7/V7 work perfect with Itch, and thank god I never bought an NS7II, or I would be more pissed off than I am right now. I'm no programmer, but how hard can it be to fix a couple of bugs, especially if they already fixed the same exact bugs in Itch. The problem I think, is that no one is working on it, or it would have been fixed a long time ago.
Papa Midnight 9:11 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
They will probably be concentrating all their efforts on getting all the bugs out of the new Pioneer controller, and put the Numark problems on the back burner once again, as they have done in the past.

That's not how it works. There are separate teams that handle these. The introduction of another project is not going to take resources away from one already in process.

When you have a moment, please read up on the development process known as "Scrum" (en.wikipedia.org). It's been documented on the forums here by Serato representatives that this is the development methodology that they use in-house.
Panotaker 9:31 PM - 8 August, 2014
You can call the process what ever you want, all I know is that I have been complaining about these two bugs since the first day that SDJ was released, and the bugs have not been fixed yet. So either they are working on something else, or they haven't assigned anybody to fix the NS7 bugs yet. If they had someone working on it, it would have been fixed by now.
DJ Enc3phalon 10:20 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
That's not how it works. There are separate teams that handle these. The introduction of another project is not going to take resources away from one already in process.

Seems like the Numark team must be on one hell of a long holiday. Doesn't matter whether they use an agile methodology or a conventional cobweb infested method like the waterfall method, they all have a deadline that software engineers thrive to achieve. If they really had a dedicated team do you really think it would have taken them this long?

Looking at the previous few posts, it seems we are going to end up with a copy and paste from the Serato Itch software code. It's nearing a year since the OP first posted on this thread. Don't know why some people are defending Serato's slack in delivering. No matter what angle you look at it, it's horrendous post purchase support from a software company by anyones standard.
Papa Midnight 11:02 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
So either they are working on something else, or they haven't assigned anybody to fix the NS7 bugs yet. If they had someone working on it, it would have been fixed by now.

I'm not going to speculate as to the development time frame or priority assigned by their development team and project management team related ot each individual bug.

Quote:
Don't know why some people are defending Serato's slack in delivering.

Perception is everything. I'm not defending Serato in any way, they have a team perfectly capable of doing that themselves.

Quote:
If they really had a dedicated team do you really think it would have taken them this long?

I reiterate the same point above about not speculating, nor am I willing to engage in the formulation of an informal fallacy in this situation.
DJ Enc3phalon 12:31 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
I reiterate the same point above about not speculating, nor am I willing to engage in the formulation of an informal fallacy in this situation.

Yet ur willing to speculate that they have dedicated teams of developers to work on specific modules of their project. I'm afraid "Thats not how it works". Software companies do not have teams of developers ready to jump on every new module they decide to implement. That would mean they have paid employees sitting idle until a new module is introduced. For a software company, their team of programmers is a limited resource and when a new module is introduced, some of the software engineers previously working on another modules are reassigned to this new module. If they have say 100 software developers working on their software, when they decide to introduce a new module, they still have 100 developers and have to dip into the pool to get the new module up and running.

Not asking for a speculation from you, Just pointing out that there's no excuse for such a small modification to take so long. If u go to a restaurant and are still waiting 2 hours after making an order, would you still be sitting back explaining to others how the item they ordered is being prepared? That brings me to my next point. Please don't give people silly information and then back it up by name dropping some IS methodology. They may actually believe you. There is not a single software company out there that sticks to just one methodology and for good reason too. If you do have some experience in the software field which I'm presuming you do from your decision to get others to look up the scrum cycle, you would know that all too well.

Don't mistake ur ignorance with fallacy. It'll get u nowhere.
Papa Midnight 2:08 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Yet ur willing to speculate that they have dedicated teams of developers to work on specific modules of their project. I'm afraid "Thats not how it works".

Quote:
It's been documented on the forums here by Serato representatives that this is the development methodology that they use in-house.

Nice try.
Papa Midnight 2:10 AM - 9 August, 2014
As a point of record: serato.com
DJ Demolition 2:37 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Numark needs to wise up and switch platforms since they are losing sales due to lack of support from Serato. The problem is, you talk to Numark, and they don't even know they have a problem, they think their new NS7II works perfect with Serato DJ.

Nah.., they're in denial mode, just like Serato. Just like when someone in the Government says they're not going to raise taxes. They put on an honest face, and hope you will go for it.

Numark has an ace in the hole though. Their group also owns "Torq". They're probably cooking up some secret controller/software combo in the backroom, even as we speak.

Quote:
Thank god the NS7/V7 work perfect with Itch, and thank god I never bought an NS7II, or I would be more pissed off than I am right now. I'm no programmer, but how hard can it be to fix a couple of bugs, especially if they already fixed the same exact bugs in Itch. The problem I think, is that no one is working on it, or it would have been fixed a long time ago.

Obviously you are right.
DJ HFX 10:04 PM - 11 August, 2014
Yep Serato Sucks the big one! Thanks Serato I bought the Numark ns7II and decided to go pro. After all the years of DJs telling me that serato is a professional program. Even went and bought the video add on package thinking this instant start and sync issues would be fixed quickly. Thank god they guys at Virtual DJ have fixed both of these problems for the ns7II

They need to step up to the plate and fix this 1 year old issue!
DJGongshow 3:35 AM - 13 August, 2014
It seems it's a higher priority to build add-ins that generate incremental revenue. I appreciate that and I've bought them all. But why not just charge for the software and upgrades, and involve customers in prioritizing fixes and features? I'm sure this community would help steer in the right direction.

It's simply embarrassing that a kid with a toy controller and Virtual DJ can keep a solid sync but a professional with a Numark NS7II and SDJ can't. Especially since it worked perfectly with NS7 and ITCH.
DJ HFX 12:57 PM - 13 August, 2014
Maybe it time for you to look at the new Virtual DJ 8 its been mapped for the NS7II and it has instant start and it keeps in sync.

Almost evey second week when I open the program it updates. So they are always making it better.
Just saying if sera to is not going support the product and their customers that, maybe its time to switch software.
M.adaM 8:36 PM - 25 August, 2014
DJ HFX,

Do you use your ns7 ii with vdj8?
How they work together?
Every little thing is workig on vdj also?
I'm a big fan of vdj, since they are way ahead of the others (video, ReWire, DMX, user configurable ui, multiple displays, 99 virtual decks, easy customizable buttons, etc)

I never had enough money to buy their program, but I want to give a try soon!
Since you have a license, you can use it more than 10 minutes any time.
Please let me know what is not working or works different on vdj than sdj?

Vdj guys at their forum are great, they help you out in minues/hours even if you are free user. Wonder what a pro user gets?
I wish I could get a serial for vdj 8.
Also an NS7 II skin and a small touch screen monitor for the songs browsing only!
Sounds By JB 8:40 PM - 25 August, 2014
you mention their forum... read what people say about 8 and make up your mind if you want it..
M.adaM 9:16 PM - 25 August, 2014
At least they do things.
And if it is suitable for Coldcut (Ninja Tunes) for their performances, it will be good for me as well, I guess!
I never understanded these figts between T2, SDJ and VDJ.
This is pro, that is for beginners etc.
Like the Apple/PC stuff!
A complet bulls*it.
If I use a dual Xeon computer with redundant psu, ecc ram and windows server edition I bet it will be better than a mac book air. Or if I use an IBM blade center, it will be even better. O.K., hard to carry and it lacks of the apple logo, but I'm not performing for the fellow djs, but to the crowd!
Music, style, creativity.
The rest is BS!
7thfloor 10:32 PM - 25 August, 2014
Serato is still not taking Numark NS7 II users serious, it is rediculous that the instant start and sync issues are not solved and will not be in SDJ 1.7.

I also did a test and found if you play the same song on deck A and B the song stays in sync even with fast changes of the pitch.
I first copied a song of 10 minutes to another location and played the the same song from different locations in deck A and B.

I find that this is very strange, if it was an issue with wow and flutter it should also happen with the same song played from different locations.

I have also a VDJ license and it works fine but not as inventive as SDJ.
Both programs have their pro and cons.

Maybe serato can put more options in the setup just like in VDJ where you can change the behaviour of the controller, options, audio etc.
In VDJ you can set the time after start of the song when the motorized platter will take over.
It also has a setting to help smoothing the motorized jogwheel against fluctuations.
DJGongshow 10:58 PM - 25 August, 2014
I've found with open format mixing that f there's more than 3-4 BPM difference I'll lose sync within 8 bars. My grids are tight and PnT plugin is off.

Never had a problem with ITCH or NS7, and it seems noticeably worse with SDJ1.6.x vs 1.5.x

I don't think it's wow and flutter
7thfloor 11:11 PM - 25 August, 2014
I agree, I also don't think it is the wow and flutters that causes the sync problem.

I personally think that it has to do with the BPM resolution, maybe they use 1 decimal digit instead of 2 or something like that.
dizzyrocks2001 12:38 AM - 26 August, 2014
At first I wasn't bothered too much by the lack of instant start because I was using the various workarounds, but now it's really starting to annoy me. There are times when both hands are busy doing stuff on the other deck and I want to be able to quickly hit play to drop in the other track on beat, but I can't because of the lack of instant start :(
DJ Demolition 1:02 AM - 26 August, 2014
Quote:
Maybe serato can put more options in the setup just like in VDJ where you can change the behaviour of the controller, options, audio etc.

Dream on, dreamer. Yeah, I wish...

Nah, Serato's too 'professional' for all that. They'll tell us what we need, not the other way 'round.
DJ HFX 3:28 AM - 21 October, 2014
I gave up on serato fixing this. Vdj has a fix right in the settings. Now they have a native skin for the ns7ii which even has the hot pads in the skin
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:30 AM - 21 October, 2014
Hey Guys,

Serato DJ 1.7.2 BETA is now available to test.
This includes a new feature for motorised platters
"• Instant Start for motorised platters when start time set to zero"

You can access the BETA at this link - serato.com

Thanks,
Jamie
DjSyndic8 3:48 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Serato DJ 1.7.2 BETA is now available to test.
This includes a new feature for motorised platters
"• Instant Start for motorised platters when start time set to zero"

You can access the BETA at this link - serato.com

Thanks,
Jamie

Serato does listen to us lol thanks Jamie.W, finally :)
Panotaker 3:48 AM - 21 October, 2014
I downloaded the beta version it earlier. The instant start bug is fixed, and so is the sync bug. I mentioned it in another thread. Thanks Serato!
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:55 AM - 21 October, 2014
Good things take time right? ;)

Thanks Guys.
DJ HFX 11:31 PM - 22 October, 2014
thats great went to you link but dont see where i download it
DJ Demolition 5:40 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
thats great went to you link but dont see where i download it

Here: serato.com
DJ HFX 11:30 AM - 23 October, 2014
Thank you but thats the PC version. I neglected to tell you I gave a Mac
Papa Midnight 2:44 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
Thank you but thats the PC version. I neglected to tell you I gave a Mac

serato.com

Thread: serato.com
DJ HFX 11:03 PM - 23 October, 2014
hey my dj name use to be DJ pm Nice logo?
DJ Demolition 1:59 AM - 24 October, 2014
Okay... Well the instant start works properly now, but "Strip Search" (on V7s) only works when the platter is stopped.

It (SS) never has functioned anywhere close to right anyway (even when it was software enabled), but that particular problem was due to Numark's engineering negligence.

I'm sticking with Itch for now, as none of the SDJ waveform views work for me at all, but it is nice to see them actually deliver on at least part of the incessant hype they've published regarding this product.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:23 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
I gave up on serato fixing this. Vdj has a fix right in the settings. Now they have a native skin for the ns7ii which even has the hot pads in the skin

Lol you posted this 2 min before Jamie w comes on and tells us about the new beta.

Nm....
DJ HFX 9:12 PM - 24 October, 2014
yes I downloaded it thanks DJ PM and DjSyndic8 .

Installed it and cant get it working well at all. At one point serato is playing a song that is not even loaded in the player I have a video. I give up. Not to many thing I have ever regretted buying but My ns7II is one of them. Serato cant make it work right. 2 grand for ans7II in a road case and 2 grand for a mac and not usable to do a show. But my Numark mixdeck and a 4 year old laptop and virtual dj and I can do a killer show. go figure.
marcA 12:30 PM - 25 October, 2014
@djhfx
then there must defenately be something wrong...
all is working fine here...
get in touch with support!
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:35 AM - 26 October, 2014
Imo, it almost seems now that I am in the one percent bc serato is working perfectly for me...
DJ Demolition 12:50 AM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
Installed it and cant get it working well at all.

Yeah, mine loads tracks at the end or last cue point sometimes, among other things. I just can't use it the way it is. But you must remember that this is just a beta.

Did you happen to look at the loooong list of bug fixes..?
DJ HFX 3:23 AM - 29 October, 2014
The beta version crashes on me I had it in auto mode in the prepare list and 30 minutes in it closed. I was just listening to music. Had my Mackbook ro checked out by mac store.

my specs

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Operating system is on a solid stae 250 gb hard drive 172.71 GB are free
I removed my optical drive and installed a second drive for my music. 1tb which is only 1/4 full

I have the newest driver from numark ( not the beta driver numark for the NS7ii)
os x 10.9.5
DJ Quartz 3:28 AM - 29 October, 2014
I'm starting with the Database to be at fault. The behaviour you describes does not even sound normal.

I have a NS7FX and 94k tracks and I'm working perfectly. Now one thing I can tell you, if you're trying to do video with the Intel video chip that is known to be unsupported if you weren't aware.
DjSyndic8 3:28 AM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
The beta version crashes on me I had it in auto mode in the prepare list and 30 minutes in it closed. I was just listening to music. Had my Mackbook ro checked out by mac store.

my specs

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Operating system is on a solid stae 250 gb hard drive 172.71 GB are free
I removed my optical drive and installed a second drive for my music. 1tb which is only 1/4 full

I have the newest driver from numark ( not the beta driver numark for the NS7ii)
os x 10.9.5

Try the new Beta version and see if that helps from Martin C's Post

Serato DJ 1.7.2.4139

Bug Fixes

13721 • Copying files with 'remove original reference from library' enabled causes crash
13728 • Crash when mapping TAP in FX panel
13688 • Read Only files do not play
13697 • Connecting CDJ in HID mode does not automatically switch deck to INT mode
13680 • Offline player not playing at correct speed
13663 • Loading files from prepare panel may cause crash
13682 • Potential crash when loading MIDI xml file on Windows
13678 • MIDI mapping disabled for user mappings with Rane mixers

Martin C attached a file: Serato DJ 1.7.2.4139.dmg---> serato.com
Martin C attached a file: Serato DJ 1.7.2.4139.zip -----> serato.com
DJ HFX 11:56 PM - 29 October, 2014
I got nothing to loose.
Quote:
I have a NS7FX and 94k tracks and I'm working perfectly. Now one thing I can tell you, if you're trying to do video with the Intel video chip that is known to be unsupported if you weren't aware.

Hi yes i am aware that video might be a challenge. But it does suport it in macs acording to the specs. How ever when i first got the ns7II back the spring I actually did a video dance and had no problem except that that the decks kept loosing sync and instant start did not work. But have not tried video since.

Anyway I will try the new beta and hope for the best thanks
DjSyndic8 5:43 AM - 30 October, 2014
Quote:
except that that the decks kept loosing sync and instant start did not work. But have not tried video since.

for Sync to work properly you need to turn your platters off.
DJ HFX 11:32 PM - 30 October, 2014
Yes. Which means you cat use the platters. In virtual Dj 8 you can use sync. Maybe the new beta might fix that
DJ Demolition 3:14 AM - 31 October, 2014
Quote:
for Sync to work properly you need to turn your platters off.

If Sync was working "properly", it wouldn't require the platters motors to be disabled.
DjSyndic8 4:33 AM - 1 November, 2014
Im glad sync will never be perfect because newbie Djs will have to learn the art of mixing Id rather Serato put more emphasis into making the software stable then perfecting sync #canyouevenmixbro lol
DJ Compiler 8:50 PM - 1 November, 2014
It doesn't matter how the song is synced. If one song is fully synced traditionally and the other with the sync button it'll sound the same. The art of mixing that needs to be learned is good phrasing not necessarily beat matching.
DJ Demolition 5:30 PM - 2 November, 2014
Quote:
Im glad sync will never be perfect because newbie Djs will have to learn the art of mixing Id rather Serato put more emphasis into making the software stable then perfecting sync #canyouevenmixbro lol

Sync is already good enough for newbies, and has been for at least ten years. These guys complaining here, are trying to Sync four tracks simultaneously. No manual DJ can do that on a regular basis. There are many more important skills involved in DJing than beat-matching alone.

Before long, there'll be a button you can push for authentic sounding scratch effects and so on. The genie is already out of the bottle and it's not going back in. However, there's not a whole lot a computer can do to help a wannabe DJ out with bad musical tastes, and poor track-to-crowd mood matching skills. Doesn't matter if someone can beat-match perfectly while standing on your head... without the other skills they're still a looser.
DJ Demolition 5:35 PM - 2 November, 2014
Quote:
standing on your head

Correction: ("they're" head) LOL
DJ Demolition 5:09 AM - 3 November, 2014
Quote:
Correction: ("they're" head)

Correction #2: ("their" head)

Whatever.., I guess... maybe I should wait until I've woken up fully, before I start writing next time, but you get the point.
DjSyndic8 8:27 AM - 4 November, 2014
New Beta Update from Martin C

Serato DJ 1.7.2.4346

Bug Fixes

• Various crashes/hangs
• Denon DN-HC1000S causes Serato DJ to hang (13691)
• Control/Alt + click does not deregister MIDI output lighting correctly (13730)

Other Changes

• Increased timeout for Instant Start platter held

Martin C attached a file: Serato DJ 1.7.2.4346.dmg -------------> serato.com

Martin C attached a file: Serato DJ 1.7.2.4346.zip --------------->serato.com
DjSyndic8 8:27 AM - 9 December, 2014
Finally Serato Has officially answered our prayers for instant start playback

Thank you Serato :)

Serato 1.72 Final

Key New Features of Serato DJ 1.7.2
OS X Yosemite Support

Now with official support for OS X Yosemite.

MIDI Output Lighting

With Serato DJ 1.7.2 you can now map various features to your secondary MIDI controller and have the LED’s illuminate in response to your actions. Create custom mappings that are highly visible in the club.
Watch a tutorial video on MIDI Mapping & Output Lighting for Serato DJ.

Sticker Lock

Serato DJ now includes the classic hidden feature of Scratch Live (sticker sync), now called Sticker Lock.
Sticker Lock allows you to align a sticker on your vinyl with cue points in your track, saving you from having to look at the screen to see where you are.
Watch a detailed tutorial video on Sticker Lock.

Instant Start For Motorised Platters

Instant Start is now added for all controllers with motorised platters. To enable, turn your controller’s start time knob to the zero position.

Support for Serato Remote 1.2

Serato Remote 1.2 introduces Play, Sync, Quantize and Cue Point Name Display features for Serato DJ users of the Remote. There are also minor stability improvements in this update.
Watch an overview of all features available with Serato Remote 1.2.

Other Improvements

Improved audio quality when scratching with Keylock
New Smart Crate icons colored blue
Time elapsed/remaining available in all views
2 Decimal Place BPM display option
New Echo Out effect available in the free Wolf Pack FX Expansion Pack

Bug Fixes

Serato DJ 1.7.2 also includes a large amount of maintenance and a huge number of bug fixes, continuing the unparalleled level of stability and performance that Serato software is renowned for.
Some examples of the bug fixes are:

Mac Download Here -------> serato.com
Windows Download Here -------> serato.com
DjSyndic8 11:07 PM - 20 January, 2015
Ive now bought a ddj sx2 and I'm selling my NS7 + ddj sp1 I'm downsizing lol
DJ Demolition 6:29 AM - 22 January, 2015
Nice little controller, but the SX seems a bit like a bedroom unit to me.

On the other hand, I think I read that you can buy an extended DVS license, and run a couple of TTs though one of those. That sounds like a great option, that would make for an interesting setup indeed...
DjSyndic8 11:03 PM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
Nice little controller, but the SX seems a bit like a bedroom unit to me.

On the other hand, I think I read that you can buy an extended DVS license, and run a couple of TTs though one of those. That sounds like a great option, that would make for an interesting setup indeed...

the thing is I bought a new car and my gears seems a lil big also Ive started at a club and the dj booth is really small, and I but I'm still keeping my Traktor F1
DJ Demolition 2:26 AM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
Ive started at a club and the dj booth is really small, and I but I'm still keeping my Traktor F1

Yeah, I've been there. Stuck in a cramped, dark booth. Not for long, though...

The small and well lit SX'd probably be perfect for that. And then later when you get a gig where you can stretch out, you can always add the TTs and have a very nice setup. I see your strategy.
beisi 10:31 PM - 28 January, 2015
i'm on 1.7.3 here and if I turn my ns7 ii startup time to zero I see it say 'instant start enabled'

when I press a hot cue it starts playing then when press play whilst still holding the hot cue it makes the audio skip a bit, super super noticeable

I didn't realise it but after using the ddi-sx/vci380/twitch etc I got really used to holding hot cue and then hitting play, this is absolutely killing my flow and like someone else said turning the motor off really sucks. The pitch bend using the jog wheel is way to sensitive to the point where you can easily hear it (really weird when doing the same thing on a SX jog would be imperceptible)

I saw in the release notes that 'instant start fixed', what does this mean? is there any more fix coming or will this remain like this?

fellow NS7 ii owners... when you say it is 'fixed' what are you referring to? can you hold a hot cue/temp cue then press play like on a CDJ/not jog wheel controller and NOT have the audio bump while the motor starts up?

i'm still in the return period and i'm almost thinking to return it and switch back to the sx2.. (as nice as the platters are...) a crying shame but its really killing my flow...
beisi 10:32 PM - 28 January, 2015
this is with PnT / key lock on btw...
DJ Demolition 1:53 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
when I press a hot cue it starts playing then when press play whilst still holding the hot cue it makes the audio skip a bit, super super noticeable

It shouldn't do that, if you have the start time set at zero... I have V7s, and that part of the software works great.
beisi 7:27 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

It shouldn't do that, if you have the start time set at zero... I have V7s, and that part of the software works great.

so if you have the motor off/track stopped and you press temp cue then (while still holding it) press play it will NOT skip a beat/make the track jump forward/back a little bit?

i'm running SDJ 1.7.3 OSX 10.9.5
DJ Demolition 2:54 PM - 29 January, 2015
No. I understood what you meant. Mine works just the way you'd want it to.

There are still a lot of bugs in SDJ, though. If you want rock-solid dependability, you'll have to use Itch. It's kind of bare-bones, but it works.

I have SDJ 1.7.2 on a Windows, AMD machine.
beisi 6:26 PM - 29 January, 2015
OK thanks for the feedback, seems you are saying that this -should- work without jittering

Can Serato or others with an NS7II please confirm if this is working??

Here is what I just posted on Numark forum, maybe it explains it clearer:
-----------------------------------------------------

Chris D (Employee) 27 minutes ago
Hello beisi,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to help! There's nothing wrong with your NS7II. Are you familiar on how "Instant Start" works in the software? I'm using a Macbook Pro with 10.9.5 installed and Serato DJ 1.7.3 too.

First, make sure you optimized your computer. Here are some helpful links to help you out:

* Mac Optimization Guide for OS X Users
* VIDEO: Serato DJ - Advanced Mac Optimization Guide

While your platter is not spinning...
Under CUES mode, if you press the Hot Cue pad, your Hot Cue will begin to play back. If you hold down the pad, it will play back until you let go of the pad.

While your platter is spinning...
Under CUES mode, if you press the Hot Cue pad, you will launch your Hot Cue that was set. Holding down a Hot Cue pad during this while not perform anything.

Make sure your START and STOP time knobs are positioned all the way to left. Follow these steps before every gig.

1. Connect and power on the NS7II
2. Open Serato DJ
3. On each deck, fully turn, clock and counter clock wise, the Start and Stop Time knobs prior to DJing. This will ensure that the NS7II is properly communicating with Serato DJ.
4. As a good practice , we also recommend moving the Pitch Sliders, Crossfader and Channel Sliders up and down prior to DJing. Again, this will ensure that the NS7II is properly communicating with Serato DJ.
Comment
good answer!
beisi a minute ago
ja ja understood already regarding optimization, that should not be any issue I have done these steps already..

--------------------------

I don't think you have understood so let me try to explain again:

1) load track to deck, set start and stop time knobs to as far left as they will go (ensuring the 'instant start activated' message flashes below)

2) press and hold hot cue or CUE (temp cue) button, song begins to play

3) (while still holding the cue, and while the track is still playing...) press PLAY

Result:

The song that is already playing jitters (skips a small amount back/forward) at the very moment the motor kicks in and the platter starts spinning. It audibly skips/jitters then continues to play.

I can very clearly hear this as if I did a very abrupt pitch bend. If it it happens on a beat I will hear the beat repeated.

----------------------------

This is a big deal to me as I often press the cue button live on top of the mix. At the moment I can't do this because it sounds bad when the motor kicks in.

I do not think it is fair to say 'oh but thats just how the NS7ii platter experience works'... IMO it is a very standard workflow on a CDJ or other controller to press CUE CUE CUE PLAY

Every other controller I have used (s4, vci380, vci400, ddjsx, ddjsx2) all start 'instantly' once you press play while you are still holding a cue button. There is no jitter with any of these.

beisi 6:54 PM - 29 January, 2015
OK just retested and figured out this was only occurring on platter B/D

was always happening on platter A/C

so I took the platter off, put it back on again further down (tighter) and hey presto its working! :)

so to anyone else that may have this problem in the future...

check how far down the spindle you have your vinyl screwed and that it is done up tightly
beisi 6:55 PM - 29 January, 2015
tnx Serato for making this work (now that I can see that it works)
DJ Demolition 1:46 AM - 30 January, 2015
Quote:
Make sure your START and STOP time knobs are positioned all the way to left. Follow these steps before every gig.

The STOP time control does not have to be set in any particular way as he is saying, ...only the START time.

Quote:
On each deck, fully turn, clock and counter clock wise, the Start and Stop Time knobs prior to DJing. This will ensure that the NS7II is properly communicating with Serato DJ.
4. As a good practice , we also recommend moving the Pitch Sliders, Crossfader and Channel Sliders up and down prior to DJing. Again, this will ensure that the NS7II is properly communicating with Serato DJ.

None of this should be necessary either.

Glad you have it working now.
Nephew#1 12:55 AM - 25 July, 2015
What about instant start? Is it back andere how van I found out to use it?
DJ Demolition 1:17 AM - 25 July, 2015
Just turn your "START TIME" knobs back to zero. That's it...
Nephew#1 9:15 AM - 25 July, 2015
Van i see a video for that on YouTube ?
Anybody got that link?
DJ Demolition 2:14 PM - 25 July, 2015
Lol... You need a video for that?
Nephew#1 2:17 PM - 25 July, 2015
No but i want to see if it's works oké.
But there is no video on YouTube or by serato
DJ Demolition 2:20 PM - 25 July, 2015
It works fine. Just like Itch.
Nephew#1 2:24 PM - 25 July, 2015
Oké thank you i wil give it a try
Nephew#1 10:30 PM - 26 July, 2015
I'm sorry instant start is not what i mean.
I mean the fader start like this Watchwww.youtube.com
It seems like only the NS7 got it www.skratchworx.com
DJ Demolition 11:04 PM - 26 July, 2015
Okay, sorry I can't help you with that issue, then. I never did understand why anyone would want that function?

Maybe one of the Serato guys will chime in here with the information you're looking for.
Nephew#1 11:49 PM - 26 July, 2015
For hip-hop DJ is it a very cool function
DJ Demolition 12:03 AM - 27 July, 2015
Okay, I really don't understand exactly how that would help, but I guess I'll look into it just to satisfy my curiosity, even though I never play what people mistakenly call "hip-hop" these days.
Nephew#1 12:11 AM - 27 July, 2015
I found The functioneren.

It's Shift+Chanel fader

But now i want to know The crossfader start
DJ Demolition 12:17 AM - 27 July, 2015
Have you looked under the options in the setup menu? That's where I would expect the function controls to be located. I'm pretty sure I saw something like that when I was adjusting the configuration for my Twitch (which also allows for fader start).
Nephew#1 12:56 AM - 27 July, 2015
I have looked,see nothing special
The Despicable Nyan Cat 10:14 AM - 3 August, 2015
Enabling fader start on the NS7 required a knob on the hardware, if the II or III doesn't have that i don't know how to find it.
Nephew#1 11:09 PM - 12 August, 2015
I hope serato wil do something!
DJ Demolition 1:29 AM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
I hope serato wil do something!

Hey I don't want to be discouraging, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Looks like the original NS7 had a switch on the front for each channel.
DjSyndic8 11:58 AM - 14 August, 2015
I don't have a issue with this I've sold my NS7 and using the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 I love it
The Despicable Nyan Cat 7:05 AM - 15 August, 2015
<---
Nephew#1 9:26 AM - 15 August, 2015
And what does it means,Nyan Cat?
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:48 AM - 16 August, 2015
It's pointing to my profile picture.
nm
DjSyndic8 9:27 PM - 16 August, 2015
Quote:
It's pointing to my profile picture.
nm

he's mad bruh lol
amplogik 10:03 PM - 21 August, 2015
+1 instant start and stop if I set the knobs to 0 is a MUST.
DjSyndic8 12:15 AM - 22 August, 2015
Quote:
+1 instant start and stop if I set the knobs to 0 is a MUST.

has this not been addressed yet?
DJ Demolition 12:18 AM - 22 August, 2015
Yes.
DjSyndic8 12:55 AM - 22 August, 2015
Quote:
Yes.

Obviously these other guys dont know this, maybe try updating your Serato dj software guys.
amplogik 4:12 AM - 22 August, 2015
I've got 1.7.7 and even at 0 start and brake, doesn't work any more. Used to work, prior to 1.6. Seems that no matter what, instant start doesn't work. Takes about 1/2 second for the platter to catch up, and there's no option to tune this in the admin.

Running the NS7ii tuning / calibration proceedure helps this a lot, but setting 0 brake and 0 start doesn't seem to actually set it to 0 any more.
DJ Demolition 11:53 AM - 22 August, 2015
Hmmm... I wonder if everyone else is experiencing the same thing you are? The version that I have, has that particular issue ironed out. However, it does have numerous other failures. SDJ just doesn't work out for me. I'm using Itch still, because despite it's limitations, it's fairly reliable, and it get's the job done.

I suspect that I'm not by myself, judging by the fact that Serato is offering "extended" 1/2 price sales on SDJ, and even had to resort to offering a free NS7 III just to entice people to download the latest version.
DJ Demolition 5:51 PM - 30 August, 2015
I finally got around to installing the latest version, and I can report that in spite of some other issues, the Instant Start feature does work just fine.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 5:53 PM - 30 August, 2015
gg
DjSyndic8 8:31 PM - 30 August, 2015
Quote:
I finally got around to installing the latest version, and I can report that in spite of some other issues, the Instant Start feature does work just fine.

so the solution was to update to the latest version where, Serato has addressed the issue lol
DJ Demolition 8:59 PM - 30 August, 2015
Quote:
so the solution was to update to the latest version where, Serato has addressed the issue lol

Well no... I mean they fixed this a long time ago. At least three are four issues back. The one I was running before was fine in this area, I just wanted to be sure it was still okay. I don't know what these other guys are doing wrong..?
DjSyndic8 6:45 AM - 31 August, 2015
Quote:
Well no... I mean they fixed this a long time ago. At least three are four issues back. The one I was running before was fine in this area, I just wanted to be sure it was still okay. I don't know what these other guys are doing wrong..?

Oh Ok
amplogik 5:27 AM - 11 September, 2015
I thought I'd report that it seems to be back in 1.7.8 for me.