DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

booth output vs master out

JW555 6:50 PM - 17 November, 2008
whats the difference between the master out and the booth out?

ive read and searched but the only difference i can tell is the booth out is for monitoring?

im thinking of getting the xone02 but i only have small speakers with rca input not XLR....
shiestO! 9:31 PM - 17 November, 2008
it's just another output. you can have the house speakers hooked up to master out and the booth (monitors) connected to your monitors and some other speakers hooked up to the aux out etc. and so forth.

so say you wanted to keep the volume on the main speakers the same but couldn't hear your monitors.... just turn the "booth" up and it wouldn't effect the main volume just your close speakers

peace.
The Rebel Dekadance 9:32 PM - 17 November, 2008
The Master and Booth outputs generally only differ in the output dBu...

I've got the Xone32 and the master out is 0dBu and the Booth Output is -2dBu...they do however, atleast on this mixer i'm not sure about all of them, have the same impedance level

hope that helps!

-Dekadance
papsworth 9:33 PM - 17 November, 2008
if it's just going to be set up in your house then you could use either output and just get xlr to rca adaptors.

but the difference is if it were hooked up to a large club system your master out is going to control output of the speakers in the club and your booth out is for the speakers that are in the dj booth for you to monitor with.

some people will argue the tape out or booth outs sound better than the master out on certain older mixers but who knows really...
Milesy303 10:00 AM - 18 November, 2008
Just use the booth out on the A&H. I use the booth out on my xone32 at home and have no problems.
JW555 8:06 PM - 18 November, 2008
alright cheers guys : )
rhythm 28 11:23 PM - 18 November, 2008
i have a pioneer djm-800 and i run a booth out and a "house" out. the monitor sounds like it's ready to blow even though the house system sounds just fine. the monitor sounds horrible! what am i doing wrong?
Milesy303 11:11 AM - 21 November, 2008
how do you have the cables connected?
Alixx J 7:16 PM - 21 November, 2008
Quote:
i have a pioneer djm-800 and i run a booth out and a "house" out. the monitor sounds like it's ready to blow even though the house system sounds just fine. the monitor sounds horrible! what am i doing wrong?

That sounds pretty odd, i do the same at my club and it works just fine... have you checked it's not the speakers or monitor amp... otherwise i would get it to the shop
NORMAN ALDER 5:39 PM - 17 February, 2012
Hey guys i just got a ttm57 and i am noticing that the meter signals brakes half and half. is that normal? i dont have a continous moving signal on each chanell. the lower portions move up and down, and it brakes in the middle then then a portion of the singnal move form the top and rolls back into the lower portion. i have my main xlr connection from the mixer to my sub and the monitor connected to the sub.
L2daGee 7:44 PM - 17 February, 2012
Quote:
Hey guys i just got a ttm57 and i am noticing that the meter signals brakes half and half. is that normal? i dont have a continous moving signal on each chanell. the lower portions move up and down, and it brakes in the middle then then a portion of the singnal move form the top and rolls back into the lower portion. i have my main xlr connection from the mixer to my sub and the monitor connected to the sub.

Same thing happened to me. It was fine when I first got it, but about 2 months ago, the middle LED lights on the VU meters stopped lighting. 3 or 4 bottom lights on, then 3 or 4 blank lights, then the top light on. Weird. Not sure what caused this. You might wanna start a support thread.

I have since sold my 57, to save up for the 62. Back to a 56 and SL3.
NORMAN ALDER 7:55 PM - 17 February, 2012
Thanks for your input, but just after i worte this, i called serato and i spoke with a tech he say not to be alarmed, but it is normal with the mixer its how they make the mixer mine is new 2 days now and the bottom lights up then a brake then top lights on and then they roll back into the bottom from time to time the bottom signals will move a little higher, but he say there is nothing wrong and it just a feature which is unique. How is the 56 does it do the same thing, and what did you think of the 57?
Logisticalstyles 9:18 PM - 17 February, 2012
I think you are talking about is called "Peak-Hold".
L2daGee 10:45 PM - 17 February, 2012
56 does not do this. 57 was an awesome mixer and served me well.
djnjam 7:01 PM - 12 April, 2017
Hi, regarding the master and booth outs:
In the back of the unit, there is a slide button to move toward either Master or Booth outputs. Does this mean that you can only select either Master or Booth and that they can NOT be used at the same time for 2 different outputs?

I would like to buy the unit if I can use booth outs at the same time, but the slide selection button makes me question if i will be able to.

Thank you.
Laz219 11:28 PM - 12 April, 2017
What mixer/controller is this?
That doesn't sound right...having to chose between master and booth, defeats the purpose of having a booth output.
City Beat 3:25 PM - 13 April, 2017
It's the Pioneer DDJ SR - 2 channel mixer. I placed a message into Pioneer, awaiting their reply.
dj_soo 7:10 PM - 13 April, 2017
The switch on the sr means that you change the RCA outputs from a separate, booth channel to a mirror of the main outputs.

The 1/4" outs will always be the master out
dj_soo 7:11 PM - 13 April, 2017
Meaning yes you can use the 2ndary RCA outputs as a booth with a separate volume
DJ SRR 1:14 AM - 12 June, 2018
I have a djm900nxs and on my mixer outputs I have QSC152 both hooked up using xlr.
I am about to buy monitor speakers which will probably be the Pioneer Bulit8 and the question is can I hook that up at the same time and play at the same time using trs connection. No damage to my mixer?