DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Hard decision. RANE SIXTY TWO VS Pioneer DJM900 nexus

isthebigboy 5:57 AM - 18 July, 2013
I'M UPGRADING MY MIXER.AFTER SEARCHING ONLINE I HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT WHAT THESE MIXER CAN OFFER BASED ON SOUND QUALITY , SOUND FX AND VERSATILITY. IT'S A HARD DECISION FOR ME.I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO , ALSO THEY COST THE PRICE.
4:28 PM, 18 Jul 2013
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Code:E 10:18 PM - 18 July, 2013
@ channel mixers are never enough for me. So the 900 is the only choice there. If you go with the 900 you need another sound card though. So are you capable of doing the setups yourself all the time. Or do you want the convenience of the SLbox built in, but losing 2 channels and flexibility.
isthebigboy 12:32 AM - 19 July, 2013
Thanks for the advice Code:E ..you re right about the channel mixers..it makes a big difference...I currenly own the serato sl2 soundcard.Im fine with 2 channels.however Im considering the sound quality, and the serato sl built in.also the rane 62 its easier to setup no needs for cables.Im no sure yet.. matter of fact they cost the same price.what do you think when it comes to .sound quality.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:16 AM - 19 July, 2013
RANE 62

I have 2 reasons ;)
instagram.com
I just don't go buying 2 Rane 62 just for the hell of it.... ok i do! :P

I trust Rane. I have used Rane mixers since the early 90s, and Pioneer too. I just have more faith in Rane. Built and sound quality=Rane.
Code:E 1:19 AM - 19 July, 2013
Well I dont think DJM900's sound bad but some haters will come and all Pioneer sound like crap.

Pioneer's had a digital sound to them. But thats compared to something like an A&H.

I never liked the 57, but many other rane mixers sound amazing.

I bet both mixers are on the same level. If you worried about how it will sound in club it won't matter between those 2. They are both high end enough the other factors like PA Speakers, Processing and EQing.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:26 AM - 19 July, 2013
Just to add: I never said Pioneer sucks :) I just prefer Rane at the moment.
isthebigboy 5:43 AM - 19 July, 2013
thanks for the tips guys... that was a cool picture @DJ_X_Trodinaire. now I see how much you love the rane 62..after all I think I may get the rane because of the built in soundcard even if both pioneer & and are high end mixer.
DJ GaFFle 12:30 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
RANE 62

I have 2 reasons ;)
instagram.com
I just don't go buying 2 Rane 62 just for the hell of it.... ok i do! :P

I trust Rane. I have used Rane mixers since the early 90s, and Pioneer too. I just have more faith in Rane. Built and sound quality=Rane.

Cool pic.
Wizzy 2:06 PM - 19 July, 2013
My Vote is for the 62 I work with a DJ on a regular basis and he has a nexus 900 and I am continually able to out shine him technically with routing/ effects/ two seamless DJ's at a time/ fully customizable fader curves/ shear size......ect act BTW just got a call from a tour dj needing a mixer for their performance and PIONEER wasn't on the Rider it was a Sixty-two
Rebelguy 3:59 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
My Vote is for the 62 I work with a DJ on a regular basis and he has a nexus 900 and I am continually able to out shine him technically with routing/ effects/ two seamless DJ's at a time/ fully customizable fader curves/ shear size......ect act

Maybe you are just a better dj.

Quote:
BTW just got a call from a tour dj needing a mixer for their performance and PIONEER wasn't on the Rider it was a Sixty-two

Probably for Hip Hop, R&B, Top 40 shows but if your venue hosts any dance or EDM events then 99% of the time they will ask for Pioneer.
Code:E 6:33 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
BTW just got a call from a tour dj needing a mixer for their performance and PIONEER wasn't on the Rider it was a Sixty-two

I see alot of acts and riders. I have seen many 57's but not 62's yet. I hoping they start to show up soon.
dj_soo 6:36 PM - 19 July, 2013
most touring guys who want 62s tend to bring their own simply because most venues don't own or have access to one yet...
SELECT 6:42 PM - 19 July, 2013
All the club sound guys around here are getting used to seeing the 62 more. Also being able to switch between two laptops has been a blessing. Hands down one of the best features on the mixer.

Quote:
most touring guys who want 62s tend to bring their own simply because most venues don't own or have access to one yet...

Exactly.
Code:E 6:46 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
Hands down one of the best features on the mixer.

I Played on a 62 for the 1st time last weekend and was blown away on how much easier DJ changeover was with it compared to my SL4.

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.

As DJ soo found out a few weeks ago, At least in my area, no sound company has bought one yet for there rental stock.
dj_soo 6:50 PM - 19 July, 2013
Only one club that I know of in Vancouver has a 62 and it's more of a hip hop oriented place. I know of one other spot in van that has a 68. Otherwise it's almost always pio 800-900s and the occasional 57.

Hopefully more people will bite as more people start asking for 62s on their riders, but everyone dj I know who tours and uses a 62, will bring their own...
Paulson 6:55 PM - 19 July, 2013
well seeing how you own a sl2 already. i'm going to go against the grain. I really prefer the DJM but only if it has an innofader in it. :) good sound, 4 channels and effects. nice filter knobs and with a innofader your cuts are gonna be sharper than a GINSU knife in the 70"s. A-Trak has a few video's of him rocking a DJM. good luck man here's a link on how to install a innofader in the DJM.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:39 PM - 19 July, 2013
MAKE MINE RANE!!
gfella 9:46 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
. I really prefer the DJM but only if it has an innofader and with a innofader your cuts are gonna be sharper than a GINSU knife in the 70"s.

You can mod a Rane fader very easy as sharp as an Innofader Pro.
Have a Innofader Pro in my 909 and it's a very good fader with all prefered options easy to set.
Personal preference for me is a Rane fader because they are not as heavy as an Innofader Pro (stem)
isthebigboy 7:51 AM - 23 July, 2013
thanks everyone for the tips.after all I decided to go with the rane sixty two. it's a matter of preference and my needs....
Niro 8:33 AM - 23 July, 2013
Good choice.
HighTopFade 6:13 AM - 7 November, 2013
Are Pioneer mixers sound quality inferior to Rane? My Rane 62 sounds fantastic. But my DJM-900 nexus with a SL2 sounds kinda muddy and more so at higher volumes. If I had to give a 1 to 10 sound quality rating, I would give the Rane 62 a 10 and the DJM-900 a 7.
WarpNote 8:00 PM - 7 November, 2013
Picked up the DJM900SRT this week, my previous mixer was the 68. As all my club residencies have 900 mixers installed, so I just need to learn the ins & outs of the Pio.
That said, I'm still considering getting a 62 as well. (If I can afford it...)
To me, the 68 sounded warmer/better than the regular 900nxs.

I never played the 62 on a large high end system,
so I'm not sure how it sounds compared to the 68.
dj_soo 8:42 PM - 7 November, 2013
62 sounds great. I've used it on a few big festival systems and it sounds great.
Code:E 12:05 AM - 8 November, 2013
I would like to know how the DJM900SRT stacks up Vs the 68 and 64.
WarpNote 1:18 AM - 8 November, 2013
I'm pretty sure the SRT will sound similar to the NXS on a large system....
Code:E 1:35 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the SRT will sound similar to the NXS on a large system....

I would assume so also, but maybe the sound card is that much better. Cost (not retail) is $200 more so I would hope its better. Else I'm paying $200 more because its a Serato Dongle
the_black_one 2:43 AM - 8 November, 2013
i have done test... the 62,64 sound better than any pio i have ever tested including the 900srt

NM NH
HighTopFade 2:52 AM - 8 November, 2013
Maybe Rane set the bar too high on sound quality. For the money, I expected Pioneer to sound as good.
WarpNote 3:11 AM - 8 November, 2013
I would be surprised if the SRT sound much different than NXS to be honest. The SRT has 4 phono pre-amps, the NXS 2, also there's magnetic faders. But yeah, you might call it a dongle. However, the mixer gets its bpm values straight from the software, which quite nice for quick FX work, just like the 62/64/68.

Rane has always been know for their excellent sound, Pio not so much, its more about the FX, and ease of use I guess...
Rebelguy 3:19 AM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Else I'm paying $200 more because its a Serato Dongle

Pretty much.
the_black_one 3:21 AM - 8 November, 2013
one thing that is not listed on the specs of any mixer is the amount of volts running through each channel ..... as rane that question and they will look at you like "NICE QUESTION" and go in dept about it..... ask the same question to pioneer and the run around will start .....

NM NH
TelosHedge 7:54 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Else I'm paying $200 more because its a Serato Dongle

Pretty much.

this.

when i first saw the SRT pop up on serato's website, i said to myself, "oh look! they changed the lights to blue, the effects panel to grey, and put a serato logo on it!"

i wanted to be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the case so far. aside from the magnetic fader (which i'd love to hear about, and does it retrofit into my 900nexus?), i seriously doubt there is any difference at all with these mixers. i might even go so far as to think they have the same sound card in them with a firmware revision that allows the use of serato dj.

from what i've been reading here and a few other places, the mixer itself isn't really even optimized to run SDJ very well. it's great that it grabs tempo information from SDJ, but you still can't run effects post fader from what i have seen. one thread i read made mention you can run delays and reverbs post fader, but not post crossfader. not sure about that, but even still, this seems a little counter-intuitive to me.

as for the tempo matching thing, this was a feature request of mine last year when i got my 900nexus. we never got it. so let me get this straight - if i use pioneer's pro dj link with a router, plugged my cdjs and my 900nexus in, i can transmit bpm information to the mixer from the cdjs. i have BPM information coming into my CDJs from serato, too - so why doesnt this work from serato? seems like everything you need is in place already.

i'm not saying i hate my mixer. i actually love my 900. it's currently undergoing some warranty repairs (have a rane 64 in the meantime) and i miss it dearly. all i'm saying is i think the SRT is a slapped together mixer with no new real features that fits the bill of pioneer's new marketing scheme - make a million different units in different colors that have no real evolutionary appeal.
Code:E 8:37 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
make a million different units in different colors that have no real evolutionary appeal.

Agreed.

General users might still cheap out and purchase the nexus.

But EVERY venue and club that has yet to upgrade to a 900 and some that have already got a 900 nexus will be getting the SRT version instead. They would be crazy not to.
TelosHedge 8:49 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
But EVERY venue and club that has yet to upgrade to a 900 and some that have already got a 900 nexus will be getting the SRT version instead. They would be crazy not to.

100% agree. if i didn't have one already and was in the market, sure, i'd be on it. lots of people have been asking me why i haven't upgraded yet... because i don't want to pay more money to lose a usb port is usually my answer ;)

i know i'm pretty bitter these days with pioneer, i just remember a time when pioneer was a little different.
DjLouie Jr 10:56 PM - 20 December, 2013
Just got back from a Gig in Cali & they had a Pioneer with Sl-3 let me just say Pioneer Sound's Really bad not warm at all Nexus has no headroom whats so ever The 62 Sound Quality is really Good warm ….. 62 all the way
WarpNote 3:22 PM - 21 December, 2013
I second that, however, all my local clubs have pio mixers installed, so that's why I went with the 900SRT, and sadly sold my beloved 68. When budged allows it, Id ideally want to pick up a 62 for a second setup at home... ;-)
SELECT 2:51 PM - 16 January, 2014
DMC champ Mr. Switch and JFB on the SRT

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
LazerPistols 2:00 AM - 22 November, 2014
I've used both in a club setting, I found the DJM-900NXS to be louder (or the soundcard to be more HOT) than the Rane 62. Both sound great, but the 900NXS had more gas lol.
Niro 10:39 AM - 22 November, 2014
The 62 has a floating point processor, meaning as long as your two channels summed up together aren't in the red, you can go all the ways up to 10 on any of the outputs. Pioneers are get louder quicker, which means you will peak earlier and distort a lot easier. Some people tend to think louder or even louder quicker is better sound quality, which is totally false. It's like having a car that can go 200 miles per hour but over heats at 100.
DJ GaFFle 1:10 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
Pioneers are get louder quicker, which means you will peak earlier and distort a lot easier. Some people tend to think louder or even louder quicker is better sound quality, which is totally false. It's like having a car that can go 200 miles per hour but over heats at 100.

Good point... Educate them.
DJMark 10:55 AM - 23 November, 2014
Quote:
i know i'm pretty bitter these days with pioneer, i just remember a time when pioneer was a little different.

They were awesome in the 1970's.
DJ Nexus2000 4:44 AM - 28 December, 2014
The DJM gives use more creative flow and setup options
WarpNote 8:03 PM - 28 December, 2014
One thing that I miss in my SRT, is post fader software FX like in the rane mixers....