Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

karaoke cdg files recognition

DJ XL _ tEXAs 12:36 PM - 16 July, 2013
many of us pro full time djs must find ways to work at bars midweek to make a comfortable living. although serato supports video it does not support cdg file extensions. as we do karaoke we (host/dj) must still dj during slow times or music breaks. this would allow serato users to use only serato. not vdj or pcdj or some other dj software
DJ Boom Bap 7:47 PM - 16 July, 2013
+1
acemc 8:28 PM - 19 July, 2013
+1
Just recently started doing karaoke as a supplement income.
I would really love to use just one software. BTW - does anyone know if it's possible to convert .cdg to mp4? on a mac!! And.......Is there any particular reasons why I shouldn't convert them? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
dj dawreck 8:43 PM - 9 October, 2013
I to do offer karaoke..I have a large amount of cdg files that i can't use in the current serato and i have to use vdj which i am not a huge fan of...i would like to see these files added
acemc 1:13 AM - 10 October, 2013
I have a feeling Serato Video .cdg support is a dream that will never come true.
I ended up buying kjams to do the karaoke stuff.
@Team Serato..... that could've been money in your pockets instead.
DJ NERRAD 4:21 PM - 7 March, 2014
I hate using VDJ when playing karaoke!!!! Serato needs to play CDG files!!!!! Come on I've been using Serato damn near 10 years. Don't make me go to the competitor.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:47 AM - 8 March, 2014
+1
DJVertigo 11:02 PM - 10 March, 2014
+1
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:24 PM - 16 October, 2014
Hey guys,

If we did offer some level of Karaoke file support, what would you want exactly? CDG support? MP3 + G support? Any extra features in particular that might help?

I thought that many Karaoke pools are now simply offering files as mp4, mov, avi etc?
acemc 11:35 PM - 16 October, 2014
CDG is MP3+G isn't it???
Quote:
I thought that many Karaoke pools are now simply offering files as mp4, mov, avi etc?

Don't forget the MASSIVE existing collections we already have. You'll find that with karaoke the older songs are more popular than the newer ones.
I'm stoked you guys are considering this!! Awesomeness!!!
DJ XL _ tEXAs 12:42 AM - 17 October, 2014
actually only a few offer the mp4 option and i already have 120,000 files that are cdg format. since serato is becoming more invested in the controller game, you will be gaining many mobile djs that may have never previously considered your product.
DJ XL _ tEXAs 12:58 AM - 17 October, 2014
pcdj dex has a decent karaoke program that has the ability to

* create singer list
* continuous splash screen displayed between singers (jpg gif or png)
* alter the pitch of the song in increments of +-1
* singer history (track the songs they sing)

this could packaged as a add on for $29.99
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:42 AM - 17 October, 2014
@acemc

Quote:
CDG is MP3+G isn't it???

Sorry, I meant CD+G I guess. What people used before MP3 compression right?

Quote:
Don't forget the MASSIVE existing collections we already have. You'll find that with karaoke the older songs are more popular than the newer ones.

Indeed. I was just curious if people still did keep those, or most people have moved on. I guess its still very much a long term transition then?

@DJ XL _ tEXAs,

Do you use a Karaoke Pool? Which are the most popular. A quick browse around lead me to believe the pools had moved on, but it sounds like I am wrong.

Interested to know more about what a "singer list" is and why its important. Forgive my ignorance.. I noticed that PCDJ KARAOKI only supports Windows? Is that the software you currently use for Karaoke gigs?

Do you know of any good tutorials or walk throughs where I can learn more about features you guys use? I am keen to learn more about what would be important do you if we did decide to support Karaoke files and features.
DJ XL _ tEXAs 2:08 AM - 17 October, 2014
pcdj dex is a dj software on mac that can also play cdg files. that KARAOKI software sucks. not realistic for a dj that "spins". the singer list is a singer rotation. example

Watchwww.youtube.com

i buy my karaoke either in single(s) or albums monthly. vdj has a online streaming pool -content unlimited- as well. I pay 19.99 a month for access to their database. plays/searches inside of vdj. helps for the random file i may not have.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:56 AM - 21 October, 2014
Thanks dude! So what file format is most of the Virtual DJ content now? If you aren't using that service, are you signed up to anywhere else?
DJ XL _ tEXAs 4:03 AM - 21 October, 2014
i use these for "other" downloads

www.tricerasoft.com

www.karaoke-version.com

i'd say 90% of folks that do karaoke use zipped (cdg) files because they have been doing it a few years. if i were starting from 0 and wanted to get into it, it would be nearly impossible to acquire a decent library consisting entirely of mp4. and to date (not to my knowledge anyway) there is no way to convert cdg to mp4..
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:25 AM - 21 October, 2014
Cheers man, I hadn't found tricerasoft yet, but karaoke version looks all good.

I haven't personally tried any files yet, but a few people say this software is capable of converting CD + G to MP4: www.powerkaraoke.com
DJ XL _ tEXAs 5:43 AM - 21 October, 2014
wow....that seems too easy. wonder if it really works. i'll have to try it on the wifes pc....good find if so
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:15 AM - 21 October, 2014
Let me know how you find it man!
DJ Boom Bap 11:32 PM - 24 October, 2014
DJ needs to be able to read the zip files!
DJ XL _ tEXAs 11:51 PM - 24 October, 2014
from what i understand the zipped file "issue" is a Mac problem. Macs can do it just not as well as a PC.

The conversion program is about 75% effective. 1 in 4 have sync issues where the music and lyrics don't line up correctly. :(
DJ Boom Bap 11:53 PM - 24 October, 2014
I don't have any problem with zipped files on my mac using KJams Pro
acemc 4:42 AM - 27 October, 2014
I use Kjams too.
Great application with unparalleled support.
It also has the ability to export to mp4. Actually is the main reason I purchased it.
It has cdg upscaling, which smoothes the corners & really makes the lyrics look awesome.
Sadly a high quality mp4 takes a bit too long to export (about 15-20 mins each for me).
But once it's done you really do have a quality mp4 version of the cdg.
For mac there really is no other app that even comes close to Kjams.
DJ XL _ tEXAs 4:55 AM - 27 October, 2014
had not considered kjams