DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Crane Stand wobble/shake

BleepCore 1:00 AM - 30 June, 2013
I've owned my Crane stand for a couple years now, and while I haven't found anything better, it does shake/bounce/wobble like crazy. Even light typing on my 13" Macbook causes bouncing. Take this thing to a club where the DJ table isn't isolated from the dancefloor vibrations and it's pretty bad.

Sometimes I perform with a live act. The guy who runs the synths and drum machines jumps around a lot. I've yet to play a gig with them where halfway through the night I wasn't holding onto my laptop to stop it from bouncing so terribly. In the end I'm way better off abandoning the stand and putting the laptop directly on the table.

Anyone else experience this?
Code:E 1:41 AM - 30 June, 2013
Thank you so much for this info. I seriously was about to order 8 crane stands for me and all my DJ friends. I jump around a lot well djing. And more often than not the DJ tables i see are not stable or are just folding table on the same platform people dancing on.
phatbob 2:06 AM - 30 June, 2013
Put it in the Z shape and the centre of gravity is lowered. Then it'll shake less.

Any stand as high as the Crane in the C shape (like the Uberstand) will be bouncy like that.

If the stage is so springy that doesn't help, you really ought to be looking at ways to isolate your gear, as unless you have an SSD, you're liable to damage your hard drive even with the laptop directly on the table.
Code:E 2:22 AM - 30 June, 2013
Space limitation at my res wont let me use the Z shape. is it better when you put the bottom bar under the mixer?
BleepCore 3:01 AM - 30 June, 2013
It doesn't help having the bar under the mixer. The problem, as far as I can tell, is due to the flexibility of the metal they use. I also run into the problem where space won't allow for use in the Z shape.
dj_soo 3:02 AM - 30 June, 2013
all stands will wobble and shake a bit unless you've got some installed all-metal thing built into your booth.

the crane is still more solid than the majority of portable laptop stands I've used and I've used a bunch.
BleepCore 3:07 AM - 30 June, 2013
I'm surprised none of these folding/portable stands have an angle brace option.
Code:E 3:11 AM - 30 June, 2013
Quote:
the crane is still more solid than the majority of portable laptop stands I've used and I've used a bunch.

Portable seems to be the key word there. I have 2 of the fixed shape odessy stands and they are pretty stable, but they are just not that portable.
slimmjimm 4:37 AM - 30 June, 2013
I've used the Ultimate stand a few times, and it really doesn't move as much as the Uberstand or the Crane, but it's a heavy mofo.
BERTO 5:57 AM - 30 June, 2013
CodeE u can try a plus for 80$ before u make a move on the big purchase, u wont be dissappointed
Laz219 7:12 AM - 30 June, 2013
I have two next to eachother, both in 'C' shape.
One has a CD player and it is tilted downwards, it does 'bounce' slightly.
The one with the laptop is set flat and it is perfectly stable.
BleepCore 1:56 PM - 30 June, 2013
I just adjusted mine from C-shape-angled-sightly-down to flat-C-shape and the bouncing didn't stop or improve.
BleepCore 3:41 PM - 30 June, 2013
Here's a short video of my stand. videobam.com
Dj_Nix 4:04 PM - 30 June, 2013
I brace mine under my mixer... Laptop keyboard angled down. Pretty darn stable. If you can't fit it in your mixer case unscrew the ends and reverse the arms just make sure to keep the orientation correct.
BleepCore 4:10 PM - 30 June, 2013
Mine is under my mixer. The bottom leg isn't moving at all. The bouncing you see in the video is all due to the flexibility of the metal.
BERTO 4:46 PM - 30 June, 2013
Quote:
Mine is under my mixer. The bottom leg isn't moving at all. The bouncing you see in the video is all due to the flexibility of the metal.

I cant imagine u use turntables
DJ DisGrace 5:00 PM - 30 June, 2013
Quote:
Here's a short video of my stand. videobam.com

Looks about right for a laptop stand.... not sure what all the fuss is about

You need of one of these: www.spacetek.net
phatbob 5:30 PM - 30 June, 2013
Quote:
You need of one of these: www.spacetek.net

Agreed. I've used the CDJ versions of that and they are rock solid.

It's basically: Rock solid OR portable. Pick one.
BleepCore 5:48 PM - 30 June, 2013

Why do you say that, I've been on turntables since '96.
BleepCore 5:48 PM - 30 June, 2013
*gah...quote didn't work above...
Pete Input 5:54 PM - 30 June, 2013
I'm using this: Magma Riser Laptop Stand.
It's VERY stable, light, adjustable, all metal, with rubber feet and cheap.
It may not suitable for you BleepCore, because it needs it's own space, but if you have that space, it's bad ass.
BERTO 7:16 PM - 30 June, 2013
Quote:

Why do you say that, I've been on turntables since '96.

I meant that as in if ur lappy is bouncing around ur needles must be tAking a beating
BERTO 7:47 PM - 30 June, 2013
That flex is normal(saw vid) if anything it absorbs bass rumble similar to the ashtray rubberbands on techs feet or those cingular orange inflatables
BleepCore 7:51 PM - 30 June, 2013
Ah yeah, I see what you mean Berto. I use M44-7's and set up my tonearms carefully + level the turntables before we play. If the drum/synth guy gets really crazy I can use a skipless scratch record. I've also used Numark V7's, which were lovely because they're quite scratch-able and don't skip.
SpareChange 9:20 PM - 30 June, 2013
Mine doesn't wobble or shake......or do anything for that matter, never mind.
BleepCore 12:58 PM - 1 July, 2013
I find that hard to believe unless yours is made from different metal.
djnak 3:30 AM - 2 July, 2013
Quote:
Uberstand

now that has some wobble....use one of those and youll be praising the crane stand.....if it got some weight on the bottom it will not wobble (road case or something along those lines)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:11 PM - 2 July, 2013
Does every crane stand have a latch that folds out and away frim the stand? Is that adjustable?
Dj_Nix 4:02 PM - 2 July, 2013
Yes. Adjustable? You can change the tension by twisting the knob on the opposite side of said latch. You can reverse the orientation if you disassemble it. And put it back together
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:14 PM - 2 July, 2013
Quote:
Yes. Adjustable? You can change the tension by twisting the knob on the opposite side of said latch. You can reverse the orientation if you disassemble it. And put it back together

What i mean is the lock lever goes from....imagine holding your arm out straight, thats locked, now raise your hand, unlocked, one would think it would make more sense to fold in, like putting your arm doen by your side, goin up makes it not fit iny bag
phatbob 4:20 PM - 2 July, 2013
Top hinge:

Arm down, locked.

Arm up, unlocked.

Bottom hinge:

Arm down, unlocked.

Arm up, locked.

---

Arm straight out is only ever a mid position.
BERTO 6:26 PM - 2 July, 2013
Quote:
Top hinge:

Arm down, locked.

Arm up, unlocked.

Bottom hinge:

Arm down, unlocked.

Arm up, locked.

---

Arm straight out is only ever a mid position.

This
Joshua Carl 9:33 PM - 2 July, 2013
I had a spot where the polar ends of the floor boards were under my table , and the other end were under the dance floor.

So, the first time there I had to set up with my crane in c-formation because the booth was at hobbit height.
Once the place got poplin my entire rig was bouncing (literally) about an inch
(I had a video on my old phone of a dime on my mixer bouncing its was right off the decks)

Obviously my first concern my my Mac.
I swapped my crane from C to ta 45 degree drop on the keyboard
That for me through the night with out issue.
But everytime I played there I request 3 tables, rather than 2.
The z formation of the crane is ROCK SOLID.

Understandably, not everyone can get into Z formation at every venue with space constraints.
As much as I feel that the crane is the bet option for 99.9% of DJs
If you are really in a situation where you cannot ask for a standard performance surface to practice your craft, then the ultimate stand is a close 2nd.
But be prepared for a heavy heavy piece of gear, an you cannot lose ANY parts to it.
But it does LOCK the computer into the stand.
Given, if things are THAT wild ... The whole stand, any stand can got over.

When I do outdoor boats I use a strip of Velcro with some neoprene + 5the Crane
Cause nothing can really combat some of these gusts of wind.
But I wouldn't be surprised if Crane eventually comes up with a STICKY solution for situations like this.