DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Slang/jargon you use

R-Tistic 9:34 PM - 5 November, 2008
What's some slang or jargon that you use as a DJ? It can be terms that you created, or that you picked up from somewhere that still aren't commonly used. I'm not really talking about typical slang that everyone uses, such as "beatmatching", cuttin, scratchin, or whatever...but just things that someone else who's a DJ could hear you use, and they may have to think about it for a sec before figuring out what you are talking about.

Some things I say....
"Prime time" - The peak of the party...if it's over at 2, usually the 12:30-1:30 or 1-2 time that you know is the most active. I will save all the major classics or main commercial hits for this time

"Sacrifice song/track" - This will be a major song, whether it's a classic or current hit, that I would usually save for prime time, but I'll play early if the crowd is thin and needs to get active...or when the crowd is there, but just needs that one song to get them going.

A "DJ's DJ" - Just as someone can be a "rapper's rapper" or an "actor's actor"...someone who tends to do things that will impress other DJ's more than it impresses the average fan/partygoer. This can be good or bad, just depending on the type of events they do. Some of them may still use vinyl, but most of them at least use Serato with vinyl. They'll be great at beatmatching, cutting, and scratching, and their song selection will usually comprise of songs that are sleepers or classics to other DJ's and fans of music, versus the typical commercial songs that most fans love. They will do small things, and put certain songs together by doing things that only DJ's will catch.

"Novelty song" - These are songs that are usually wack or questionable, but have a novelty value to where you can still get away with playing them, because people will sing along to make fun of it, or because it's funny. This can be something like the theme to Fresh Prince, a recognizable song from a movie, or songs such as "Yahh" and "Lookin boy" that you could only get away with playing to a certain crowd.

"Milkin a song" - To "milk" a song is when I'll play the song for more than a verse, or play it as long as I can, just to save songs in the case that I have a crowd where only a certain style of songs work. I'll observe the crowd, and if it seems like they are into the song, I'll let it play longer, versus just cutting it after one or two verses. This may also prevent me from having to play the same song rotation at different events, because I may play 20-25 songs in an hour versus 35-30 in an hour when I am cutting the songs fast as hell.

That "hit" to it - Whenever I say a song is "hittin" it means it is a dope song...nothing major...but whenever I talk about a new song, I'll always say if it has that "hit" to it, which will mean it has a certain energy to it that means it will work the first time I play it, even if the crowd has never heard it. I feel like some songs that become major "hits" may not have that "hit" to where you can drop it on a brand new crowd during the peak of the night, and still have people dancing to it as if they love it when they first hear it.

Rideout - I got it from the south, but I'm sure some other places use it as well. It's basically the same thing as a set...I can't even say it's really a difference, but I'd say that for me, a rideout will be when I'm trying to keep the energy as high as possible for the fans of that style, region, or artist, versus a set just being a section or time period when I play certain songs. Therefore...people will usually be singing along to every song during a "rideout", and the song will come in right after the hook goes off, or a major line is said. Also, I will usually mix (beatmatch) every song in during a set, but I don't always do it during a rideout...I will just scratch the songs in.
DVDjHardy 9:41 PM - 5 November, 2008
No logout
No homo
No misquote
djbigboy 10:04 PM - 5 November, 2008
Party Rockin - different style of djing where you are just dropping stuff in and doing things a lil bit more quickly (or don't make sense to anyone but you). Its not just power mixing everything in but doing lil things to twist it differently...

Most nights I will just mix normally til after midnight, then I will try to party rock it a bit more. Its usually only during prime time or even the last 30-45 mins before last call.
R-Tistic 10:08 PM - 5 November, 2008
^Yea, party rockin sounds similar to ridin out. What would you call "power mixing"?
djrob-e-rob 10:13 PM - 5 November, 2008
heater
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:28 PM - 5 November, 2008
train wreckin
DJ d.range 10:33 PM - 5 November, 2008
spinnin = DJ'n

"party rockin", "power mixing" = "quick mixin"
djbigboy 11:42 PM - 5 November, 2008
yeah power mixing = quick mixin
DJBoZak 1:30 AM - 6 November, 2008
Obama'd - Show up at a venue absolutely unexpected murder the crowd when I was not even expect to DJ that night...

Yo son I Obama'd the Roxy last night night people were partying like it was 1999.
R-Tistic 1:43 AM - 6 November, 2008
LMAO! Ignorance at it's finest!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:28 AM - 6 November, 2008
Don't forget my favorite - Hot Garbage - shit songs that you have to play!
djpuma_gemini 5:20 AM - 6 November, 2008
Booth fly = naggin woman who wants her apple bottom jeans played.
DJ Sniffles 5:28 AM - 6 November, 2008
Urban Pop = Shit i dont consider hip hop
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:30 AM - 6 November, 2008
Quote:
Urban Pop = Shit i dont consider hip hop

ok, so you mean everything that's played on the radio...lol
dj buterd hams 6:19 AM - 6 November, 2008
I called the adapter to headphones "fat guy" . So I would be fuck I forgot a fat guy dam ...
tehBEN 6:29 AM - 6 November, 2008
Trainwreck
Wavie
(No Oranges)
(No Sniffles)
(No Puma)
(No Sixxx)
(No Brittney)
(No Lil Wayne)
cRAP
DJ_PHAZE 9:11 PM - 24 November, 2008
Wavie
TrainSpotter/Trainspotting
Snowflake
Punter
Hipsters
DITC
J.M.
Heads
Twiddle
Refix
Instro
DJ iPod
Slam Mixing/Mixer
Cheeze
Bread
Load in
DPR250R 9:33 PM - 24 November, 2008
Fluffer (Mac fanboy)
Swizzle 9:42 PM - 24 November, 2008
"Look at this Petey Wentz"
"Look at this Nickie Cannon"

Petey Wentz = White DJ who is doing the most in the booth, dancing, shots in his hand every song, moosed up hair etc. Mainly worried about being seen and not heard.

Nickie Cannon = Black DJ who is tryin too hard in the booth, dancing, acting like every song is Best track every played. Mainly worried about being seen and not heard.
DJ Young Herrera 9:56 PM - 24 November, 2008
Quote:

Dude, for the last time! The name of the track is "Boots with the fur!"
bourbonstmc 10:08 PM - 24 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

When chicks around here want you to play "Paper Planes", they ask for Mya...
Swizzle 10:39 PM - 24 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I thought it was, Hey can you play? "Shorty Got Low Looooow Looow Low!"
Audio1 11:17 PM - 24 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You think thats bad. A Few months ago, Random people would come up and ask,

YOU GOT PATRON ON ICE????

and I'd be like, WTF, Yeah buddy, Go to the BAR!!!

Now when I hear, YOU GOT PATRON ON ICE, I know they are asking for "Whatever You Like" by T.I. hahahha
Audio1 11:22 PM - 24 November, 2008
Heater / Banger = Same!
DJ d.range 4:28 AM - 25 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When chicks around here want you to play "Paper Planes", they ask for Mya...

LOL
DJ Young Herrera 3:51 PM - 25 November, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You think thats bad. A Few months ago, Random people would come up and ask,

YOU GOT PATRON ON ICE????

and I'd be like, WTF, Yeah buddy, Go to the BAR!!!

Now when I hear, YOU GOT PATRON ON ICE, I know they are asking for "Whatever You Like" by T.I. hahahha

Shit I haven't heard that one. That's stooopid.
DJ Gerk 2:51 PM - 3 April, 2011
How bout.."Push play DJ"

Means someone who is called the DJ, but just hits play on left deck, lets it ride out to the very end, and then fades over to the right deck. Repeat all night while killing the dance floor every 3 minutes.

This is my competition in Key West...I don't understand
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:31 PM - 3 April, 2011
Quote:
How bout.."Push play DJ"

LOL, one of the owners at a bar I used to hang at and spin at on occasion used to want to Dj sometimes, he got nicknamed "DJ Press Play" for the reason you mentioned above - we would even announce it on the Mic - he was cool with it.
DJ TOGTFO 7:43 PM - 3 April, 2011
TOGTFO
OhYeahYer 6:49 AM - 25 February, 2012
Droppin' gems on the Ones & Twos yo. Back n forth from table one to table two. Beats from all angles.
chopshop 10:34 AM - 25 February, 2012
Quote:
Don't forget my favorite - Hot Garbage - shit songs that you have to play!

Shit songs you have to play = Steamer
O.B.1 8:42 PM - 25 February, 2012
sometimes at work, i’ll make up phrases and use them as if they are already-established phrases.

like, if i see someone at work who i speak to regularly, and that person asks me how it’s going, i’ll go, “pssht,” and look to the side and say, “i’m straight beasting on the honey flow.”

i used “straight beasting on the honey flow” the other day and it seemed to pass.

which brings me to my first point about making up slang phrases then using them as if they are real: the delivery.

you have to say whatever you’re saying in a way such that it makes it seem odd for someone not to have heard that.

NEVER look at the recipient of your made-up slang after you use the made-up slang.

looking at someone will confirm to him/her (who will be looking at you for sure), that something odd happened and that you are looking for his/her approval.

another way to make your delivery smooth is to do something immediately after saying your made-up phrase, such as: tapping your thighs, making fart sounds with your mouth, or scratching your chin excessively.

doing something immediately after using a made-up phrase like: “that shit is full-blown appalachian” will give your audience the impression that it is normal for you to say that–so normal for you to say that, that you can immediately do something like tap your thighs distractedly.

(i’ll skip an important part here where i talk about how using geographic locations makes for easy slang-production.)

another good think about is saying something normal right after making up a phrase.

for instance, say “oh man” in a surprised way with your eyes wide open.

like, you can say, after someone does something, “you on that gummy worm truth,” then clap once, and say “oh man.”

saying something directly after making up a phrase, is similar to the tapping your thighs thing–it creates distance.

here’s another insider tip: follow up a widely accepted slang phrase, with one that is really odd, and say it with a questioning tone.

for instance, when someone at work jokingly sticks their tongue out at you, and you say, “that’s coldhearted” then that person responds, you can go (in a questioning tone) “apple juice for certain?”

the key to making up slang is the context.

follow up on something that someone said, with a seemingly associated verb.

like, when someone is exaggerating a story about having sex the night before, you can say “did you flash-fry that shit.”

adding “that shit” will bring the illusion of meaning to many of your sayings.

for instance, saying “i’m about to get werewolf drastic” is not as clear as saying “i’m about to get werewolf drastic on that shit.”

“that shit” is a good way of creating an object.

whatever you are doing or referencing, is being done to “that shit.”

people will immediately begin to think about “that shit” rather than the phase “werewolf drastic.”

people will immediately think, “am i also getting werewolf drastic on that shit.” “what is the shit that i am or am not gettnig werewolf drastic on?”

creating a sense of confusion is key to successfully making up phrases.

i feel like there’s more to get into, but for now friends, i have provided you with a quick “how-to be successful” template for beginning to create your own slang-phrases.
DJ Unique 9:49 PM - 25 February, 2012
HaHaHa...
good stuff O.B.1
O.B.1 1:45 AM - 26 February, 2012
try it, it's really quite liberating!
Dj Shamann 1:46 AM - 26 February, 2012
"Scrolling in the deep"
O.B.1 1:48 AM - 26 February, 2012
^^^ I'm guilty of that...
DjPolarCa 7:09 PM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:
"Scrolling in the deep"

"...on that shit"
O.B.1 8:16 PM - 26 February, 2012
lol
str8nger 10:46 PM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:
How bout.."Push play DJ"

Means someone who is called the DJ, but just hits play on left deck, lets it ride out to the very end, and then fades over to the right deck. Repeat all night while killing the dance floor every 3 minutes.

This is my competition in Key West...I don't understand

i was at a bar in key west the dj sucked ass! he did that to everysong but what shocked me he was also a go go dancer so he would run to the booth fade over to next song then run back out to the dance area and did his gogo thing
Mike_P 11:42 PM - 26 February, 2012
Lol. OB1 pwned this thread.