DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

having issues with rane 68 cue buttons!!

D.J. Flawless 9:46 AM - 24 June, 2013
ok so im sure many of us who have ever used a rane mixer have noticed an issue that after prolong use we all have had some what of an issue with our cue buttons! I, myself, had this issue first with my rane 57sl...and now with my rane 68! cue buttons 1 and 2 on both sides of my mixer have finally given up on me, i now have to actually apply force to get them to work...why does this issue happen...and what can i do to fix this!...i have warrantee on my mixer thru guitar center for another year...but my issue is, they take forever and a day for them to get stuff back to me, and im a dj that is constantly booked, and of course like an idiot i sold my 57sl a while back along with my sl1 box...so now if i send this in i dont have a replacement to use....i need to figure out how to fix this issue and i need to figure it out fast before my next event! PLEASE HELP!!!
D.J. Flawless 10:02 AM - 24 June, 2013
oh...also forgot to mention that my button to activate effects...yeaa same problem -_-
Scott Campbell 8:52 PM - 24 June, 2013
Mine has been back 3 TIMES for button issues and I returned if for the effects button as recent as 2 weeks ago! Seems like once a year I have to return it for repair. Rane is quick on the repair time but this is DEF an issue with these mixers! For $2600.00 you would expect something a little better from Rane but it is what it is. The mixers have a 2 year warranty and 3 years if you registered it with Rane. They sent me a NOT SO NICE note on my repair ticket stating that this was the last time they would repair it under warranty so I guess after this i am screwed with a huge repair bill for an issue that should not have been an issue to begin with. Ii would say if it is not past Rane's direct service time I would deal with them and not GC. Hope either way you get it fixed quickly!
D.J. Flawless 11:46 PM - 24 June, 2013
yea i saw your post...and noticed you were having the same issue...i dont know what to do at this point i think im gonna get it repaired thru them...and once that happens...im gonna buy a midi controller and midi map it directly to my cue's so i dont have to ever use those buttons again...like i pay $2800 for a mixer...and this issue comes into play...this is such bullshit...i love rane and i love serato...but honestly if this is going to be continuous issue with rane mixers..im going to switch to a pioneer mixer and never buy a rane again...this is my second mixer ive had an issue with and with paying top dollar i expect to get top dollar...i treat my mixer with care...i dont abuse it what so ever...its always in a case...i never hit my buttons hard at all...and yet this happens
Scott Campbell 5:53 AM - 25 June, 2013
I am the same way here myself. I am the only one who uses this mixer and it is ALWAYS in a case. Furthermore I use the Denon DNS-3900 CD players with the cues mapped to the players for the hot starts and mainly use them but I have still had issues with the buttons. I am not rough on my mixer at all. I can only imagine what some of the Sixty Eights that are in a club DJ booth that different DJ's use. I am as disappointed as your are in the mixers performance and quality when it comes to the buttons.
DJMark 8:32 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
They sent me a NOT SO NICE note on my repair ticket stating that this was the last time they would repair it under warranty

What exactly did the note say?
Scott Campbell 4:39 AM - 26 June, 2013
I will get the packing slip and type it word for word but it it pretty much said that this was the ABSOLUTE last time they would repair it under warranty and as a COURTESY did not charge me for the repair . I called for the RA number well before they 3 years was up but explained to them that I could not send the mixer to them until after Memorial Day weekend because I had to work and could not get my friends 57 until after that weekend either. They told me the RA was good for 90 days and assured me that as long as I got it set up to be returned for service that it would not be a problem to return it to them when I got my loaner mixer from my friend. I guess it was kinda the way it was written on the packing slip that rubbed me the wrong way seeing how it has been back 3 times in 3 years for the SAME button issues. I was told the first time that after they put some washers on the buttons that would fix the issue but that is not the case. One things I will say that Rane did get it back to me quickly so I was only down for one week but that was partly because I paid the 3 day shipping from NC to WA. I had about $90.00 in shipping it to them thou which i was not happy about after what I have in the purchase price. So I am thinking next time it needs service I am going to have about $90.00 each way to ship it back and forth and about $100.00 in labor charges for the repair so that is what????...... $280.00?!? I know nothing is meant to last forever nor are things warrantied forever but IMO the buttons on these units were and are flawed and I would hope that a company like Rane would do a little better then that for us who got the first run of these and have had so many issues with them then add a few washers.
Jam-Master Jake 11:07 PM - 26 June, 2013
Yikes, this is making think perhaps I should go with a Pioneer mixer and a Rane SL-box!
Scott Campbell 11:37 PM - 26 June, 2013
Well I guess do not get me wrong and all I LOVE everything about my Sixty Eight except for the issues with the buttons. I came from a Pioneer 800 and would not go back! The sound quality is WAY better as well as the ease of my setup having SL built in to the mixer. The draw back is if you need service and do not have a loaner mixer or a SL box to use then you are kinda dead in the water while you mixer is away for repair. Depending on how much you work thie down time could cost a good bit of revenue out your pocket.
DJMark 1:01 AM - 27 June, 2013
Quote:
I will get the packing slip and type it word for word

That would be interesting to read. What you describe seems a bit out of Rane's usual character (based on my own infrequent dealings with them).

I'd kind of think that failed-for-the-third-time buttons on a "flagship" product would be more or less high priority for them...unless maybe they're concluding there's some kind of abuse issue going on.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:18 PM - 27 June, 2013
Flawless,

Definitely send your unit to us and we'll fix it under warranty.
Although I feel for Scott, his case is a fringe case given how many Sixty-Eights are out there that haven't needed to get serviced or have been serviced once without needing to come back again (after the fix regarding the washers Scott mentioned).
D.J. Flawless 1:15 AM - 28 June, 2013
Hey Zach, i will send it in pretty soon...but most likely it will be on the 8th of july...now my only thing im scared of is the fact that i have an event on july 14th that i would need it by...in your opinion...do you think that i will receive my mixer back in time for that event? if i try to rush deliver it to you guys?
D.J. Flawless 1:20 AM - 28 June, 2013
and if not that day...im doing a music festival on the 15th...so do you think i would be able to get it back by Monday, July 15th?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:38 PM - 2 July, 2013
Although I can't promise anything, typically we can get units back within the 5 days.
If you send it in on a Monday with Next Day Air shipping we can probably get it back to you by the Thursday or Friday of that week.
Scott Campbell 5:41 PM - 3 July, 2013
Flawless.........I would be curious to know how much one day shipping is to Washington from where you are!?!
Jam-Master Jake 6:05 PM - 3 July, 2013
In Alaska, it'd cost me about $300 to ship it to the Lower-48 (US). If Rane is located elsewhere....YIKES, that'd be some STEEP shipping costs!
DJ Eclectic - Cali 12:05 AM - 1 October, 2014
Quote:
Flawless,

Definitely send your unit to us and we'll fix it under warranty.
Although I feel for Scott, his case is a fringe case given how many Sixty-Eights are out there that haven't needed to get serviced or have been serviced once without needing to come back again (after the fix regarding the washers Scott mentioned).

I have one in the club but it is used 5 nights a week so we can not send it in but the cue points don't work. I feel like the amount of force it need i might break it. what do i do in this case?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:05 PM - 1 October, 2014
Its a "factory service only" unit and would need to come back here to the factory to get serviced.
shabbashizzle 7:40 PM - 27 July, 2016
I'm not sure if it's the same issue as with the 57. I had what sounds like the same issue with the buttons on my 57, where they were non-responsive or unpredictable. I found all you need is some contact cleaner. Check the vid below - I did what it said, and the buttons now work perfectly again. Seems too simple/good to be true, but it worked!

Watchwww.youtube.com
Scott Campbell 6:46 AM - 6 December, 2016
On mine the button is sunk into the mixer and does not "Click" Not sure if the button is broken or the switch on the main board is bad. All i do know is that it is not a $2600.00 door stop now. Rane is pretty much just a shell of its former self now. We will have to wait and see what InMusic does with it and hopefully it will be something good like what they seem to be doing with the Denon DJ products.