DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane fader differences

DJRUDEBOYY 2:42 PM - 23 May, 2013
I just wanted to know if there was any benefits between the first version of ranes magnetic faders and the second version that are in the 62 and 61
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:27 PM - 23 May, 2013
The only difference is the older version had a tension spring you could adjust the tension with. The new ones also have a different carrier but that doesn't make the feel or behavior any different.
Also the new ones come with fader knobs that don't fall off:)
DJRUDEBOYY 3:50 AM - 24 May, 2013
so there is no sprig on the newer version of the faders ? :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:23 PM - 24 May, 2013
Correct.
dj shadow from detroit 6:11 PM - 24 May, 2013
the new fader has broken on me 2 times. the older version is made better. the carrier keeps cracking ( its made of plastic ) the older is made of stronger material. I always thought the newer fader fixed the fader issues with the 61 - 62. is this correct Zach S ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:12 PM - 28 May, 2013
Quote:
the new fader has broken on me 2 times. the older version is made better.

Yes, there was an issue with the plastic on the newer carrier but that was looked into and should be fixed now.

Quote:
I always thought the newer fader fixed the fader issues with the 61 - 62.

What fader issue are you referring to?
dj shadow from detroit 12:34 AM - 29 May, 2013
The one side cutting in more than the other . I thought the new fader fixed the problem with this issue and thats why the new fader was designed.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:20 PM - 29 May, 2013
The issue was with some of the newer carriers. The magnet wasn't seated properly.
That has since been fixed.
dj shadow from detroit 2:43 AM - 30 May, 2013
great news Zach thank you.
Keep up the good work.
Joshua Carl 6:04 PM - 30 May, 2013
Quote:

Also the new ones come with fader knobs that don't fall off:)

and thank god for that.... no more on my hands and knees on the dancefloor looking for a launched fader!
dj shadow from detroit 5:47 PM - 31 May, 2013
lol
nik39 11:04 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
no more on my hands and knees on the dancefloor

No misquote needed ;)
nik39 11:04 PM - 3 June, 2013
BTW, I prefer the faders with the springs.

Chad, is there a way to use the old faders with springs in the new 61/62 mixers?
nik39 11:05 PM - 3 June, 2013
*cough* Zach I meant ;)
gfella 4:19 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
BTW, I prefer the faders with the springs.

Hey nik39

I just got my new Sixty Two build april 2013 with the new design faders and caps.
Out of the box the feel of the faders is the same as with the springs.
After lubing the faders the feel is the same as removing the springs on the old faders, they feel exactly the same as thefaders on my TTM 56 with springs removed.
New fadercaps are very hard to remove and they sit tight on the stem.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:16 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
Chad, is there a way to use the old faders with springs in the new 61/62 mixers?

You could put the old carrier and torsion spring on the new faders if you had some. Everything else is the same about the fader.
We don't have any old carriers or torsion springs for them in stock anymore.
nik39 10:35 PM - 4 June, 2013
Quote:
After lubing the faders the feel is the same as removing the springs on the old faders, they feel exactly the same as thefaders on my TTM 56 with springs removed.

Thanks for the top gfella, but my problem is actually the the faders are too loose!

Quote:
You could put the old carrier and torsion spring on the new faders if you had some. Everything else is the same about the fader.
We don't have any old carriers or torsion springs for them in stock anymore.

But I can't just swap the faders from a 57 with the 61/62 faders, right?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:16 PM - 5 June, 2013
Quote:
But I can't just swap the faders from a 57 with the 61/62 faders, right?

No.. the adapter that connects the ribbon cable to the fader board is different.
dj shadow from detroit 1:58 AM - 4 September, 2013
I noticed with using the old carrier with the new fader design you still get the one side cut in more than the other.
I tested both and the old carrier will not calibrate correctly.
Ben Butter 5:14 AM - 27 June, 2014
Quote:
I noticed with using the old carrier with the new fader design you still get the one side cut in more than the other.
I tested both and the old carrier will not calibrate correctly.

Shadow--I just got a used Sixty-One and, with the cut-in time set to "fastest," the right side jumps from 0 to 10 immediately, but, on the left side, there's a tiny 1 mm of space more before there's volume on the left side. Is THIS what you're referring to??

I've used a TTM 56 since 2003...and the reason I think the Sixty-One fader has felt different to me this week is because the plastic knob itself feels different to my fingers--the shape, size, and feel of the plastic. It will take me a few weeks of scratching practice to get used to a different knob. (I really, really loved/love the TTM 56. Due to using SL1, it was time to upgrade.)
Ben Butter 5:19 AM - 27 June, 2014
Nevermind, Shadow--I just saw your posts in a different thread, "Fader cut-in on Sixty-Two" discussion.
dj shadow from detroit 12:12 AM - 30 June, 2014
Yes that was the same issue . The fader carrier has changed 3 times since the rane 61 dropped.
shamroc 10:37 AM - 30 June, 2014
were there teething issues with the 57 as well? just wondering if it's worth waiting a bit longer before i take the plunge myself...
Fonz 11:41 PM - 11 February, 2015
How is the tension on the new faders without the spring? Is it just as buttery as the old ones with the spring removed?
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:32 AM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:
How is the tension on the new faders without the spring? Is it just as buttery as the old ones with the spring removed?

yes...just cleaned and oiled mine yesterday.....

its silky smooth.
paulorpviana@hotmail.com 1:11 AM - 13 February, 2015
the tension of the new faders is made by magnet placed in the back of the carrier
Fonz 2:15 PM - 26 February, 2015
Ok Thanks!
Fonz 6:41 AM - 1 June, 2015
Is this magnet removable or not? I have my sixty two now and the faders are pretty smooth, but no where near as loose as my old style with the tension spring. I have lubricated them but they seem to get tight again after a little while.